FSA XC290 Wheelset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

FSA XC290 Wheelset

OK, Before somepeople jumps all over me, I did do a search on this wheel set and came up empty. Anyone used this set? I ride mostly cross country - fireroads and such - and some non tech. single track. Weight is 230 and dropping. Anything would be an upgrade from what I have now. Also if you had the choice would you choose a lefty dlr fork or a fox RC29? And no comments from my son who reads my posts!
    "Boldly they rode & well, into the jaws of death, into the mouth of hell, rode the 600"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Two riders I know have them, both well under 200, both cannot keep them true. I'm glad I did not buy a pair based on their experiences.

mtbr member
    I'm 200 and mine have been pretty good. I trued the back one once.

.RJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    We just had a thread on this last week here... my experience has been the parts are good but the build leaves the spoke tension all over the place. If you can get a good deal on them have them retensioned and go from there... for retail $$ you can have a LBS build you set that will be better.

mtbr member
    Same as last week here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=590045

Bad experience. I got a set this summer when I built up a 2008 Rip9 frame I picked up from peeBay. They went out of true pretty quickly and were difficult to keep true. Then, while climbing a rocky trail, I was daydreaming and hit a tall rock. When I got up, I was surprised to see a very wavy front wheel. This was a very low speed hit. I managed to bend the wheel straight enough to clear the fork legs and limp home, but the wheel was toast. Still riding the rear, but I've had to true it several times. I'm a non-aggressive 180lb XC rider. My new Flows will arrive Monday. I'll keep the 290 and the replacement front wheel to wear my studded tires in the winter.

For smooth trails the 290s might be ok, but I think you can do a lot better for the $450 to $550 they usually go for. I'd also recommend to anyone who has them to have the tension checked. I suspect the biggest problem with my wheels was a crappy build by FSA.

Definitely not recommended.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Members who have read this thread: 0