FS 29?er SS?????????- Mtbr.com

Dec 2004

FS 29?er SS?????????

Ok I have decided to get a SS 29?er first and if I love it I will get a geared 29?er later (like Padre?s!). I tweaked my back a few months back (riding my HT SS on a trail that I shouldn?t have). I decided to get a FS SS and purchased a 26? Kona A with a Fox RP3 shock. It works well and allows me to continue my SS passion but it is not a 29?er! I do not have the $$$ for a Moots and wonder what other choices are out there? Would a suspension seat post work without screwing up the P-stroke?

Attached Images Attached Images

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Many guys here

run suspension seatposts. Most sport a ThudBuster or parallelagram design. This doesn't shorten your leg extension to the pedals like a telescopic design, but it puts you farther behind the bottom bracket in an arcing motion. I used to race on one for a season when they were a sponsor of our MTB team. Takes the edge off when seated, but you stand over the biggest obstacles and bumps, so then you just have a really heavy seatpost between your thighs!
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    run suspension seatposts. Most sport a ThudBuster or parallelagram design. This doesn't shorten your leg extension to the pedals like a telescopic design, but it puts you farther behind the bottom bracket in an arcing motion. I used to race on one for a season when they were a sponsor of our MTB team. Takes the edge off when seated, but you stand over the biggest obstacles and bumps, so then you just have a really heavy seatpost between your thighs!
    Thanks I am just concerned about my back SS’ing is the SH## and I want to keep doing it on a 29’er!

highly visible

Your options ...

No FS SS 29"ers out there, although I'm wondering if/when Lenz will bring their concentric design to the 29" world.

If you're willing to live with a chain tensioner (I'm not, due to mud/snow, but some are), you could run a Lenz, Titus or Fisher with a tensioner.

Otherwise, lots of us run suspension seatposts. It will NOT help you at all when you're out of the saddle climbing or descending, but it will smooth things out a lot when your butt is down on the saddle. In my experience the cush effect is MUCH more than on a softtail, though perhaps less than with a FS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    No FS SS 29"ers out there, although I'm wondering if/when Lenz will bring their concentric design to the 29" world.

If you're willing to live with a chain tensioner (I'm not, due to mud/snow, but some are), you could run a Lenz, Titus or Fisher with a tensioner.

Otherwise, lots of us run suspension seatposts. It will NOT help you at all when you're out of the saddle climbing or descending, but it will smooth things out a lot when your butt is down on the saddle. In my experience the cush effect is MUCH more than on a softtail, though perhaps less than with a FS.
    Great advice thanks! I previously rode a HT SS and loved it. I just want something just in case a bump sneaks-up on me going down hill.

Just Ride!
    I say we petition Kona for an A 29er, cool, cool, cool.

What is your opinion on the A? Would you buy one in 29?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Supercal 29, but I wouldn't mind have two 29 bikes.

mtbr member

thudbuster

I'm not sure your background with 29ers so I'll give my opinion....

I had a Surly 1x1 and now have a Surly KM, it might be just my imagination, but my KM feels noticably softer than the 1x1 in the rear end due to the larger wheels. I have a Thudbuster but I didn't even think I needed it on the KM, so it went onto my wife's Homegrown HT. My buddy put a Moots layback on his Supercal 29er and it really feels like a soft tail, so I think if you put a Thudbuster on a 29er you'd get a nice soft ride.

Witty McWitterson
    They kinda already do. Lenz makes the frames for Zinn, and he's got a concentrilink 29" or two posted on his website. Since he does it already, I wonder if you couldn't talk him into it, and not pay the premium of a Zinn? Someone put a call into Devin!
    Just a regular guy.

May 2004
    Is this 'concentric' design something that is licensed by someone.

It looks just like the Kona A and the newer Ted Wojcik FS

-dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz

Don't get me wrong, I love my Supercal 29, but I wouldn't mind have two 29 bikes.
    I like the A with the exception that it is to small. Yes I would buy an A again if it was a 29'er. The RP3 is a great shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz

I agree. Kona is an innovative company that makes good quality products at a good price. How long do you think it will take the best fork manufacturer in the world (Fox) to support the 29’er movement? Their 20mm forks were just released this year! I am going to hammer Kona with emails!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Doug, you are working hard, I like it!

A thought...What about running a 9er FS in a 1x9 configuration...or 1x5 with a road cassette...

I tried riding my Lenz in a 34x20 combo, etc..with the RP3 it felt great...

Of course you wouldn't have the same street-cred as a singlespeed, but it would be pretty sweet and solve your chain tension issues....

Recovering couch patato
    Somewhere on here I saw a picture of a blue Lenz Leviathan with single crown maverick fork, run SS, without a tensioner I could see. Not sure how that was managed again, but it looked UH so nice.

Edit : It may also have been the DirtRag forum.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Doug, you are working hard, I like it!

A thought...What about running a 9er FS in a 1x9 configuration...or 1x5 with a road cassette...

I tried riding my Lenz in a 34x20 combo, etc..with the RP3 it felt great...

Of course you wouldn't have the same street-cred as a singlespeed, but it would be pretty sweet and solve your chain tension issues....
    I am working hard....On my new rig!!!!!!! SS'ing is in my blood. Donkey emailed me and said the the Fisher was OK he just did not like FS geared bikes. If I save some money with the Fisher then I can build a Moots SS. YEA BABY!!!!!!!!!!