Front wheel/fork flex: what is this?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Front wheel/fork flex: what is this?

I heard 29er wheels and forks are prone to flex. I am 160-170lbs rider.
    Will I decrease a ride quality with using light ZTR355 rims?

Rider and Wrench
    You heard right... but any/all bikes, not just 29" bike wheels/forks are prone to flex, of course the additional length of the fork (just like a longer travel 26" fork) and dia. of the larger wheel can amplify this. The key to it is selecting the right tool for the job- with a 29er it may require a bit more weight to get the same stiffness when compared to a 26" fork or wheel.

The Stans 355 is a fairly light weight rim and has it's limits for sure but built with the right hub/spoke combo I don't see why someone about 160-170 would get a crazy amount of flex or general lack of ride quality (used for what they are intended...anyway). But if you are focused on it because of past wheelsets/forks flexing and feeling less responsive I would take a look at the Arch- as it is a bit heavier but will offer a bit stiffer build (all else being equal). I think who/how your wheels are built will have a big impact on them as well so don't discount that- Not that I am the most versed in flexy rims but I run a set of Stans Arch on Hope pro II's and IMO can't say they are overly flexy compared to other 26-29" wheessets I have ridden/ride and I go about ~210#.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    I'm the same weight as you are and I ride 355s without flex issues. I run mine laced to Hope's on a Fox F29 with the DT Swiss RWS 9mm thru-bolt skewer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for replies, knottshore and dinoadventures.
    What spokes were your wheels laced? Did you ordered your wheels at notubes.com ? The thickest spokes they offered are DT supercomps 2.0-1.7 which is subject to wheell flex I think

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Mine are laced with DT Comps.

Members who have read this thread: 0