Front shocks for GT Peace 9er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Front shocks for GT Peace 9er

New to mt biking (1.5 years) all on a HT. Shopping for a FS but I have a chance to get a 2008 GT Peace 9r from a friend. I've ridden it but am thinking I may enjoy it more if there was a front shock.

I've read that a RockShox REBA 29er would be a good choice to replace the fixed forks.

Would you mind making a few recommendations on a front shock for this bike in various prices ranges?

Trying to get a jumping off point here (have very limited experience replacing bike parts/components).

I thank you in advance for any thoughts.
    Last edited by Van-Go; 03-16-2009 at 10:28 AM.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    There are a few to pick from...Personally,I'd check a few online stores to get some acurate average pricing. Since I ride rigid intentionally,I've only vaguely kept up with the squishy forks,but I've heard good things about Reba,but read here if you're a Clydesdale,you may find it flexy (should be easy to find an average price on this one),there's the RS Tora,which is a little cheaper,with less flex. I've read nothing but good about the RST M29 (not a typo),and it's sposed to be reasonably priced.

On the other end of the price spectrum,I've personally had very good experience w/ Fox Forx,and I would expect their F29 to perform great (my experience is w/ their 26er forks,tho),and I've heard good things about the White Brothers offering too.

There are also much smoother rigid forks available to you. Everything from a Vassago ODIS (I have one...smoove like buttah) to a more expensive carbon job.

Look around various online shops (Pricepoint,Jenson,Speedgoat,Bike 29),yer sure to find something to fit both yer budget,and tastes. BTW,I've read nothing but good about the GT
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    I'm riding a Peace 9r with the original rigid fork. I've considered going to a squishy but want to maintain the purity of a fixed fork bike. I'll be upgrading to a rigid carbon fork and in all likelihood it will be the Carbon Cyles Exotic

Have to agree with longhaultrucker on the RST M29. I've heard nothing but good reports on this fork.

mtbr member
    Thanks Long and Thug:

Thug...what is the virtue of a carbon fork? Is it exclusively a weight issue?

mtbr member
    When you ride a steel bike such as the Peace, 1/2 a kg is neither here nor there so no, it's not a weight issue.

From what I understand and have read up, a Carbon fork just absorbs and takes the edge off the harshness as opposed to the steel rigid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This thread caught my eye. Got my Peace 9r in November and after a few rides I know I have to make some adjustment. My first step is going to be bigger tires (I'm leaning towards Rampages) with lower pressure than I'm used to running in my 26" tires.
    I do think a fork is in my future though.

Where can you buy the RST fork? I haven't seen it anywhere online.

mtbr member
    The only place I know where you can purchase the RST M29 is from On-One in the UK.

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalo...nsion_368.html

Members who have read this thread: 0