FRAME SIZE SS Stumpjumper or EVO help please!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

FRAME SIZE SS Stumpjumper or EVO help please!

Please help me choose the right size frame, and also let me know what size you chose and why?

I am wanting to purchase the 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Single Speed 29er. My LBS has a size 17.5" (medium) and it seems like it fits me well, but I could also go with the 19" (large) because they both feel good. They don't have the large in stock, and it seems like it's hard to get one of these ordered from specialized as they have been on back order for a while, so I want to make this purchase immediately if this bike would be a good fit for me. I'm also torn between getting this bike, or the new 2011 Stumpjumper EVO (the all black murdered out 1x10 drivetrain). If I go with the EVO I will be getting it in large i'm almost positive, but I'm thinking the single speed would maybe be better in a medium? I love to mess around on the single tracks while riding doing wheelies, bunny hops, manuals, endos etc... but I am also wanting to take the racing part of it more serious now too.

Here is a good post with some nice pics of the EVO http://cranktown.com/2010/12/2011-sp...mper-evo-29er/

I'm 5'11" tall, and 170lbs. I have been told to always go smaller if your in between which frame to choose, because it is easier to maneuver the bike in technical spots, and it's lighter, easier to whip around. I'm thinking the 17.5" medium would be a good size bike for a single speed 29er at my height and weight. If it was a 26" bike I would without a doubt go large I think. Stand over isn't an issue, I clear the large just fine with a couple inches short of my goods, and the medium is about the same (didn't really notice any difference in stand over height).

I plan to keep this bike for a good 2-3 years so I want to make sure I am making the right choice in bike frame size and will be happy with it in the long run. I want to progress on this bike, and eventually race it as much as possible. This will be my very first single speed bike to own, I want the purchase to be the right one.

What would be the pros/cons in going with the medium?

Could you single speed owners give me some advice and your opinions what size frame you think I should go with based on this exact bike and my height and weight?

Also, let me know what size frame you went with, and why? Thank you so much in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by The Militia
    Please help me choose the right size frame, and also let me know what size you chose and why?

I am wanting to purchase the 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Single Speed 29er. My LBS has a size 17.5" (medium) and it seems like it fits me well, but I could also go with the 19" (large) because they both feel good. They don't have the large in stock, and it seems like it's hard to get one of these ordered from specialized as they have been on back order for a while, so I want to make this purchase immediately if this bike would be a good fit for me. I'm also torn between getting this bike, or the new 2011 Stumpjumper EVO (the all black murdered out 1x10 drivetrain). If I go with the EVO I will be getting it in large i'm almost positive, but I'm thinking the single speed would maybe be better in a medium? I love to mess around on the single tracks while riding doing wheelies, bunny hops, manuals, endos etc... but I am also wanting to take the racing part of it more serious now too.

Here is a good post with some nice pics of the EVO http://cranktown.com/2010/12/2011-sp...mper-evo-29er/

I'm 5'11" tall, and 170lbs. I have been told to always go smaller if your in between which frame to choose, because it is easier to maneuver the bike in technical spots, and it's lighter, easier to whip around. I'm thinking the 17.5" medium would be a good size bike for a single speed 29er at my height and weight. If it was a 26" bike I would without a doubt go large I think. Stand over isn't an issue, I clear the large just fine with a couple inches short of my goods, and the medium is about the same (didn't really notice any difference in stand over height).

I plan to keep this bike for a good 2-3 years so I want to make sure I am making the right choice in bike frame size and will be happy with it in the long run. I want to progress on this bike, and eventually race it as much as possible. This will be my very first single speed bike to own, I want the purchase to be the right one.

What would be the pros/cons in going with the medium?

Could you single speed owners give me some advice and your opinions what size frame you think I should go with based on this exact bike and my height and weight?

Also, let me know what size frame you went with, and why? Thank you so much in advance.
    I'm 6ft2
    I just ordered a new Specialized SJ Expert 29er. Had many of the same issues you do. All the SJ's are the same geometry, so grab any Large SJ and ride around. I thought I'd have to go with a 19, but after setting it up and getting the fit/seat height right, we were at the max for the 19's seat post and would have nowhere to go for any adjustments when I begin to fine tune the fit. The reach seemed a bit short and I felt I was all over the front. The 21 just felt better for me. Looked more appropriate for my body and the reach just was more comfortable. I'm going to bet you are a 19.

get down!
    19 for sure
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I ride a 2008 stumpjumper comp 29er in a 19". I'm 5' 11 1/2" and 160.
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper comp

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ok maybe this will help a little more with my decision on the best size frame for me. Your opinions?

This process using the competitive cyclists bike fit calculator is as close as you can get without paying hundreds for a pro fit. I've been told it's about 99% accurate.

My Measurements
    -------------------------------------------
    Inseam: 33"
    Trunk: 23"
    Forearm: 14"
    Arm: 25.5"
    Thigh: 23.25"
    Lower Leg: 21.5"
    Sternal Notch: 56.75"
    Total Body Height: 69.5"

XC Bike Size Specs I should go with according to my measurements
    -------------------------------------------
    Standover Height Range: 31.4 - 32.0 inches
    Virtual Top Tube: 23.2 - 23.6 inches
    Stem Length: 9.6 - 11.2 cm
    BB-Saddle Position: 74.3 - 75.9 cm
    Saddle-Handlebar: 52.9 - 54.5 cm

Here are the Specs of the two Specialized Stumpjumper SS Frame Sizes (17.5" & 19")

Specialized Stumpjumper SS 29er 17.5"

Standover Height: 31.45 inches
    Top Tube Length Horizontal: 23.22 inches
    Top Tube Length Actual: 22.20 inches
    Stem Length: 9 cm
    **not sure what measurements the bb-saddle position and saddle-handlebar specs are on the specialized website under the geometry tab**

Specialized Stumpjumper SS 29er 19"

Standover Height: 32.63 inches
    Top Tube Length Horizontal: 24.21 inches
    Top Tube Length Actual: 23.07 inches
    Stem Length: 10.5 cm
    **not sure what measurements the bb-saddle position and saddle-handlebar specs are on the specialized website under the geometry tab**

I'm not sure which Top Tube Length to go by (Horizontal or Actual) but here are all of the specs and results measured the best I could do with just a friend and I.

Appreciate any feedback I can get from this.

I can barely afford this bike and I don't want to end up getting a bike too small, or a bike too big. I want to make sure my hard earned money is going to a bike that will fit me well. Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0