Frame builder for best fit help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Frame builder for best fit help

Having realised the only way to get my odball shape fitted properly on a bike is to go custom, but not quite knowing what sizing to go for, has anyone feedback on a builder with a skill for sizing help, specifically a steel (or Ti) HT builder to help guide me through the process, and build my frame?

While I'm sure many of the usual suspects would be good at helping with this, I'm hoping to find someone with the flair for fit, and possibly communication to go with it too.

Help much appreciated in this tense time

mtbr member
    Stay as local as you can - so I guess that would mean a focus on UK based builders. What about Shand Cycles?

don't try this at home
    i'ld also suggest local. there really is nothing like going by the shop and checking how things are coming along. i just did that today, it's great. had a little piece of cake, looked at some new bits needed to build the frame, talk parts. it's all good and fun.

if not, than most respected builders could help. my first custom bike was done over the phone and long distance with a few pics i emailed showing what i looked like on a bike. came back fitting like a glove. however, this time i went very local, the shop is about 3-4 blocks away, got measured up, brought in my current bike, etc. felt like i was getting a tailor made suit - which in a sense i am, but better.
    will you rep me?

In FTF We Trust
    Bingo. I was lucky enough to drive to Carl Strong's shop, bring the bike I was riding at the time, get measured up and discuss what I liked/disliked about my current bikes, what I was looking for in the new bikes, and options. That's the key to the custom bike process. Honestly, most trustworthy well-known custom builders should be able to get the hard data they need from you and translate that into what you want, but if you can go through the process face-to-face it works even better.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Frame Building Moderator

In person

I would suggest going on a nice vacation to CO and visiting the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine. They aren't cheap, but the fit is worth every penny. The numbers they give you can then be handed to any framebuilder you choose. Honestly, if you want a perfect fit, you need to go to a fitter, not a builder. Sometimes they are one and the same, but not always.

At the very least, find someone who you can go get measured by in person, if an exact fit is a big concern. You can only do so much over the internet and phone.

-Walt

mtbr member
    If your open to frames from the US, Oscar @ Simple Bicycle Co could probably help you out. Here's a custom 29'er he built for my 6'7" friend a couple years ago.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies.

Decided to go with Carl Strong

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    Thanks for the replies.

Decided to go with Carl Strong
    If you change your mind, Independent Fabrication did a great job with my road bike. I was in the same position as you, odd proportions, and they really nailed it for me. They actually had to order a special steer tube from England, as they couldn't find one long enough for their custom steel fork. I didn't want to go with a carbon. Good luck, it's fun going custom.

Members who have read this thread: 0