FR style 29er hardtails- Mtbr.com
    poser Administrator

FR style 29er hardtails

There has been quite the smattering of freeride style hardtails posted on here from the *****y Wolfhound to the yelli screamy.

I always appreciated the early attempts at the FR hardtails. Strong frames, larger forks, and such but for me the killer was the rear tire hanging on the really rough sharp rocks. So of course the best solution at the time was to add some rear suspension. We started with some 4" then progressed to a lot +8" then zeroed back in on a fine medium 6".

But back to the original problem which is the rear end hanging on to stuff due to its small diameter of the wheel. Seems that 29ers are a nice solution that doesn't require all that bouncy stuff. People seem to be going to custom builders and getting FR hardtails made, using those big tires, and more and more available forks and riding stuff that full suspension bikes are good at and they are good at it too.

the 29er wheel is a nice "retrograde" upgrade to something that was cool but just didn't have the force of marketing behind it.

All this got me thinking, looking at the DH hardtail movement in the UK, with brant and his blue pigs etc then I zeroed back towards the originators of the DH hardtail bikes Chromag. I dropped them an email this morning wondering whether they were interested in making a 29er stylus bike for the masses those that perhaps want something akin to the stylus but perhaps have foregone 26" wheels now.

Ian Ritz head honcho over there responded back in a few minutes with this:

Hi,

Thanks for making contact,
    We are just about to make our first prototype. If all goes well, we could
    see a small production towards the new year.

Let me know if you have questions any time.

Regards,
    Ian
    seems that they too are thinking that the market is ripe for a free ride hardtail 29er too.

Discuss?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Cars Are Evil
    I like the tire clearance on the Stylus.

mtbr member
    I think there were a few companies before Chromag doing Burly/FR/DH/All Mountain You name it hardtails.

Nonetheless - I'm interested in giving something like this a try. I think I'd enjoy a 29er like that.

Glutton for punishment
    I was just thinking the other night about whether Chromag would be doing a bike like that. That's very interesting!

WNC Native
    The market is prime for such bikes right now. I know I'm interested in trying one myself.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

small member
    Jun 2006
    Just hope they won't have a steepish HA like their 26ers...

beater
    Cool. Chromag has some nice gear. I've corresponded with him a couple of times and have been impressed with the prompt responses. If I had some free funds I'd have an order on a Yelli Screamy already,but I'll definitely keep an eye on the Chromag blog and see what they come up with.

poser Administrator
    You know after many many years of mountain biking nothing really has excited me much since 29ers but the concept of a 29er FR hardtail is really exciting. I like the idea of running a reasonable travel through axle fork, a burly wheel set, a 1x9 (or less) drive train, and couple it with a slack HA, shorter CS and a medium length TT.

Be great for drops, new lines and fall line descending, all with the fun that only a hardtail could bring.

I would even be interested in a full rigid bike like this which I have tried mightily to convert my current and only mountain bike into but it is still lacking somewhat in the geo department which is a little beyond my control.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

banned
    Sep 2007
    Is the FoSkey or FoStickle thread along the lines that you are thinking, Rockcrusher?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Is the FoSkey or FoStickle thread along the lines that you are thinking, Rockcrusher?
    Nothing with "Fo" in it (especially associating it with "Stickel"...poor Steve) is remotely attractive to anyone.
    Last edited by jncarpenter; 08-29-2010 at 06:13 AM.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Interesting thread as I was talking to a couple of industry wags about this new niche in 29ers. It seems like they are still finding a name too...FR, AM, hardtails?

I think they are very cool and a recent one on another forum, STR, was one of the best looking ones I have seen yet, being a steel homebuild.

I have no use at all for a bike like this, but I sure would like one anyway.

I was wondering if there is a 26" equivalent to this type of bike? I wonder how big a part of the market of 29ers this type of bike will grab? I can see a 1x6 on an SS hub being a cool setup on something like this.

Neat to see how it all plays out. Choice is good.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    ld like one anyway.

I was wondering if there is a 26" equivalent to this type of bike?
    Yes and there has been for several years now.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Yes and there has been for several years now.
    No doubt, I have just never paid attention to them. Which kinda brings me round to the next thought. I never had a need for a bike with this kind of attribute when I rode 26" bikes and just cuz it has big wheels does not mean I need one now.

I just wonder how many riders will buy one of these if they never would have bought a smaller wheeled version. No argument here, just wondering who the audience is.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is the type of bike I'm looking for just now. I built a 26" geared jump bike with big forks and a small and tight frame as an experiment and its been fantastic. The ability to pop the front as easy and with the front wheel way out there I'm tackling more and more stuff that I wouldn't have before. Around the same time I put together my 29er and have found another set of attributes with the big wheels, the way they plough through anything is amazing coupled with the roll of the big wheel. Both have there shortcomings, the jump bike is a little too small for me and has only moderate rear wheel clearance and the 29er does not seem to like drop offs at all. The front plummets like a stone.

What I'm trying to garner now is whether you can combine the best of both or would there always be a compromise?

Any ideas on how 26" geometry and 29" relate? i.e. HT angles etc?

mtbr member
    I'm not sure exactly makes a bike more specifically DH or FR other than having the right geometry and being strong. I was wondering, does the the Banshee Paradox not fit into this category? I'm certainly no freeride or downhill rider but I have one and I'm capable of doing everything I could on my long travel 26" bike.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Peace & Love
    nice...i emailed Ian a few months ago asking him the same question blabbing about how rad it would be for him to enter. his response now seems a little more robust for sure since at that time it sounded like it wasnt on the radar. Chromag stuff rocks

mtbr member
    Sinister Simon Bar and Banshee Paradox?
    Professional Amateur

Members who have read this thread: 0