FR Monkey- Mtbr.com

Thread: FR Monkey

(was) Big in Japan

FR Monkey

Hi all,

Got my WB BW TA 1.0 (what a mouthful!) sorted out. Rides like a dream. STIFFF! Yes, it is so stiff that it needs three Fs to fully describe how awesome it is.

Man, this is going to be a fun bike. Hope I'm worthy.

Cheers,

Chris in Japan.

ps - in the second picture Fuji is hiding behind the tree, so I threw in a decent picture of it for your viewing pleasure...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride.

Just Ride!
    Nice Ride. Man, that's one thing I should have done when I was in Japan. I missed out in climbing Mt. Fuji.

mtbr member
    Lookin Good! Are you permanently in Japan or just stationed there for a period of years?

See many 29ers over there?

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Lookin Good! Are you permanently in Japan or just stationed there for a period of years?

See many 29ers over there?
    Thanks! It's a fun bike both with the stock rigid fork and with this beast. Not too many 29ers here, my Japanese riding friends seem to think they are too small to fit a 29er. Guess they need to see my friend Tracy on her small Rig (she's 5'1...), but they are interested, especially when they see the benefits out on the trail. Having said that, there is one shop I know where the owner gets it, and has put a lot of customers on 29ers. Shame he's three hours drive from here.

In my area there are three of us on 29ers. One more would change if he could justify the cost.

I'm semi-permanent in Japan - don't know how long I'll be here, but no plans to leave anytie soon. It's a great place to live and ride.
    Ride.

Work Shed...
    I've always wanted to go to japan, you're lucky as hell to be over there! BTW, very nice ride you got there =)

Also, do you speak japanese?

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootberry
    I've always wanted to go to japan, you're lucky as hell to be over there! BTW, very nice ride you got there =)

Also, do you speak japanese?
    You should jump on a plane - it's a great country. Fill your pockets with cheap Shimano bits while you're here, and you can offse a big part of your ticket. I'm getting there with the language - I study VERY sporadically, so it's taking a while, but I can get by.

I like the Monkey too - it's as much bling as I need.
    Ride.

Aug 2005

Domo Chris!

I've been waiting to see the pictures since you mentioned that you grabbed that fork from SG last month. It looks really good so you'll have to keep me posted on the ride as you get a few more miles in. Nice pic of Fuji! Here's one of Ewa Dake from just outside of Chitose up near Saporro for your viewing pleasure. Lot's of snow up there!
    Konichiwa,

dubs
    Attached Images Attached Images

(was) Big in Japan

Domo!

Quote Originally Posted by l-dub1
    I've been waiting to see the pictures since you mentioned that you grabbed that fork from SG last month. It looks really good so you'll have to keep me posted on the ride as you get a few more miles in. Nice pic of Fuji! Here's one of Ewa Dake from just outside of Chitose up near Saporro for your viewing pleasure. Lot's of snow up there!
    Konichiwa,

dubs
    Hey - are you in Hokkaido now? I was up there for four days last week, went snowboarding in Niseko. Amazing! Hokkaido is so beautiful, I'd like to live there if they had more than a month of summer every year!

Yeah, it took a little while to get that fork on the bike - I was waiting to get a wheel built up, but in the end I just poached parts from other wheels that don't see much use and built one up on Thursday night. Was fun, and came out nicely. So far the stiffness of the fork is incredible, and it feels plenty-o-plush. Of course anything will feel pluch after the KM fork!

Nice picture, too - such a beautiful place. Looked like lots of great riding potential too.

Cheers!

Chris
    Ride.

Aug 2005
    Yeah, I'm on my way out the door up towards Saporro for the Snow Festival today. I flew in on Wed. for work and we have the weekend partially off. Unfortunately I have to fly out the middle of next week. I would have liked to have another day or two for some sightseeing.
    The WB forks that I've seen for the 26" bikes are nice so I'm pretty stoked on getting a TA model for the KM this summer. You're right about the rigid KM fork; it's nice for some applications but a big front end would be a blast for the trails in my area.
    I'll post a few pics from Saporro later on this evening.
    Larry

Members who have read this thread: 0