Fox F29 RL Need Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Fox F29 RL Need Advice

Hey Gang,
    from what I've read this is a good fork. My LBS has an employee willing to sell me his used fork for $400.

Is this a good deal?

mtbr member
    That always depends on how used it is. If its in good condition that sounds like a good price to me

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I wouldn't pay $400 for used. You can get a new RLC for $500, probably less if you shop around:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/FOFAPRPX

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    He told me he raced it once. That's why I'm a little concerned.
    I haven't actually seen the fork yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Wow...that's a good deal. Good to know. Thanks.

The only reason I'm considering this is because I want to ride now.
    I've got a Niner Carbon Fork on the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Price point has the Reba SL for $320 new. I like it better than my Fox RL, but the offset is different. After riding my wife's EMD with the Reba I can't imagine liking a longer offset than what the Reba has anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My original plan was to build a rigid. But was thinking this could be my swapout for a front suspension. Or go on my second bike build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    Price point has the Reba SL for $320 new. I like it better than my Fox RL, but the offset is different. After riding my wife's EMD with the Reba I can't imagine liking a longer offset than what the Reba has anyway.
    FYI, the Fox's offset is 44 vs the 46 of the Reba... unless you're speaking of a 2007 or before (or was that 2008?) Reba, of course...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Obviously look at the fork, if it's only one ride you should be able to tell.
    I was in the same boat you were and decided to find a closeout brand new rather than buy a used fox for $400 with supposedly a few rides on it.

Food for thought.
    Fox requires a receipt for any warranty work, if that thing implodes which i doubt it will but....... you are ass out of luck and will have to cough up the money to get it fixed. If that happens to the new one....send it back and get it fixed for free.

What if the used one all of a sudden has bad seals or leaks oil because he actually rode it a bunch instead of one time? More money that you will have to cough up.

Obviously I am being the devil's advocate.

I am all about saving money but if you can find a closeout deal i think you might be better off new when it comes to forks.

I paid $500 for a closeout compared to a used one for $400

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kardy
    FYI, the Fox's offset is 44 vs the 46 of the Reba... unless you're speaking of a 2007 or before (or was that 2008?) Reba, of course...
    The one on pricepoint is an 08 with the 38mm offset and without the boost in stiffness that also came in 09

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I definitely appreciate your feedback. Your thoughts mirror my own with the whole "how much did he really use it" deal.

As spoon pointed out above a new one with the compression ring runs $100 more.
    And I like new stuff!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kardy
    FYI: It the Fox is off a garry fisher G2 the offset is 51mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I believe that's what the guys said. That it came of a X-Caliber

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Post Update

Went and looked at the fork. It looks in good shape.
    No dings or scratches mainly dirt.

Guy said it was used for a month. He's willing to to drop the price to $375

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Mine looks good also, but she's got over 1,500 miles of trail time.
    Was it the G2 with the extra offset?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    51mm offset. Though he said it came off an X-caliber

Rider and Wrench
    I would also check the year (post or tab mount brakes?) If it came on a GF it has the extra offset for the G2 which can make your steering feel a bit faster (maybe too fast) and change the overall handling of the bike- Used, the G2 forks are generally a bit less costly than std offset since they are really designed around the Fisher geo- Check out some of the threads that ask about how the G2 Feels on "XXX" bike? Also consider that the RL's are factory equip only and sell for a bit less than the aftermarket RLC's... (not that everyone cares but it is a factor).

I don't want to pee on your picnic basket but buying the here and now even at a "good deal" usually ends up in you selling the "good deal" for a loss and buying what you really want/need later anyway. If it what you want get it....but for a few dollars more you may be able to get exactally what you want.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards NOT BUYING it since I have the fork I want coming at the end of the month.

As far as feel goes, this is going to be a new bike for me and I haven't ridden in a long time, so there won't be a true comparison. However, I'm pretty easy to please.

I'm more concerned with the cost, as other posters have pointed out, I can get a new fork for a little bit more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Remember to check the steer tube length if you decide to go for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0