Fortytude aka. Ubercruiser in commute mode regatta- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fortytude aka. Ubercruiser in commute mode regalla

I have been commuting now on "Fortytude" now for several months ... about 60 miles per week and working great.

Made the Fortytude stickers on a color laser printer with adhesive vinyl made for such applications ... worked very well and seems quite durable...

Recently made some wooden fenders from red oak and steamed into shape ... thay work perfectly. Also installed a 1962 Schwinn Jaguar rear rack to attach my panniers when needed .... also makes the perfect mounting point for the rear rack. I installed tirefly valve cap lights on the rear of the rack ... any movement starts them blinking so they light up automatically when I ride for that added visability and bling... Cateye opticubes front and rear also help in being seen ... very visable from 1/4 mile ... just the way I like it.

Also added a mount for my Treo 600 so I can catch up on email and catch some calls on the way to and from work ... speakerphone works well ... and freinds hear me huffing as I ride ...

Rohloff continues to shine ... brooks swift ti has broken in nicely, love the egg beaters and the ti frame, fork, bar, seat, seatpost make for a great commute ride ...

Only plans now are to strip the chrome from the rear rack and finish in a ti look powdercoat finish ... any suggestions?

Kansasflatlander has done a fine job on his cruiser as well ... I see a trend developing here ...

Any rack finish suggestions ... ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by adamlivi; 01-29-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Witty McWitterson
    thoe fender are cool. How are they mounted? I don't see any struts or anything. Do they bouce around a lot? And the rack w/the tirefly's. Creative to say the least. Your handlebars look a bit too busy though, but that's just me.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    The front fender is mounted into the steerer tube and a set of horizontal stays ... some clearer photos here.

Yeah I agree on the busy look on the bars ... such are the compromises of commuting ... cleans up real nice ... everything comes off (lights, phone, fenders and rack) in about 5 minutes ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cruisers fun to accessorize

Cool thing about a cruiser is you can dress it up a lot of different ways. Ti frame and wood fenders, not too many of those around, and handsome. I've been thinking of getting the Paul Component flatbed fork. I also want to make a custom leather saddle bag under the top tube. Only problem is I spent so much time and money saving weight that I now find it hard to add anything. Kind of like building a new house, and flinching when it comes time to hang the pictures. I can't drive that nail into the new sheetrock. Your rear rack looks great.

mtbr member

did you say leather ...

I hear ya, fenders came out of neccessity ... could not find a clip on set that worked so I figured if I had to mount a pair, they should look cool ...

also thought about a leather bag ... was thinking of one shaped to fill the top tube section like old schwinn panther tank ... what do ya think?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That is exactly what I'm talking about

Quote Originally Posted by adamlivi
    I hear ya, fenders came out of neccessity ... could not find a clip on set that worked so I figured if I had to mount a pair, they should look cool ...

also thought about a leather bag ... was thinking of one shaped to fill the top tube section like old schwinn panther tank ... what do ya think?
    Yes, under the top tube, in between that and the curved seatstays. But something neat and tidy, slender, but still would hold tubes, pump, tools. Was thinking of a design like one might find as a saddle bag on an Indian motorcycle. Probably have to make something custom. Don't know anything about leathermaking, but probably will soon.

mtbr member

Like this ...?

Thinkin' of a bag in this space ... ? Suppose this could be done a'la diy at home ... any suggestions?

Could be very "Howdy Dudey"

Adamlivi

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yea, something like that

I posted a thread on the retro forum a few weeks ago requesting any ideas for a bag mounted there. Didnt get one reply. Either it's not going to look right, or maybe bags like this just are not available. In my mind it looks/works great. Maybe I'll talk to someone who makes horse saddles or something to see if someone could crank out something like that. Not sure I could make a leather bag that wouldn't look DIY.

mtbr member

I hear that ...

Let me know what you find ... I'm off to a hobby store to look at options ... Hell, if I can make fenders out of wood ... I should be able to figure out the whole leather tank bag thing ... right?

adamlivi

Jun 2004

mmmm.... cargo

gotta love the flat bed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Very Nice

I've been eyeing those, but can't pull the trigger yet. Looks good on your bike.

mtbr member
    Very cool. There is a Swedish company that makes some cool alloy and stainless fenders I saw one time also. They had some brushed diamond plate ones that were particularly snappy I thought.

There is a faux ti powder coat but I don't know the code number of it. Willits used it alot and you had to go pick up the frame to find out if it was ti or steel in his shop. I have a fork coated with it but no picture at this time. It would be a simple matter to powdercoat your rack though after bead blasting it.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Steamroller
    Quote Originally Posted by adamlivi
    Let me know what you find ... I'm off to a hobby store to look at options ... Hell, if I can make fenders out of wood ... I should be able to figure out the whole leather tank bag thing ... right?

adamlivi
    Why not make the bag out of the same wood with one side that flips down? If you made the fenders it should be easy enough, and they would really look cool!
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Members who have read this thread: 0