fork travel reduction mod on Manitou TPC fork- Mtbr.com
    heckler

fork travel reduction mod on Manitou TPC fork

is it possible to modify the travel on the Manitou Minute 29 TPC 2008 100mm fork to 80mm?

its potentially for a 2009 Kona Unit 2-9 frame project, as the steerer length of my spare reba fork is way short for the gigantic 5.3" head tube!

i wouldn't be doing it either, more likely i'd use TFTuned or similar to do the mod for me

cheers
    cp
    Mythic Spitfire/Lynskey 29er/Orange 5/Turner Sultan/Cotic Soul/Brodie Ti Holeshot/GF Ferrous/Cotic Roadrat

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    nope. as posted here many times, there is no simple spacer mod travel reduction. you could spend several hundred dollars on the manitou parts necessary, but that's not likely to appeal to you.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    nope. as posted here many times, there is no simple spacer mod travel reduction. you could spend several hundred dollars on the manitou parts necessary, but that's not likely to appeal to you.
    What's wrong with this? Post #25 on page 3 of the big thread. I did it on a 120, took it down to 100 no problem.

Slide the 2 parts off the rod to the right of the arrow, slide a 20 mm spacer in, replace 2 parts, put'r back together.

TPC, Absolute, shouldn't make a difference since both dampers fit the same leg and you aren't doing anything on that side.

sw1
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i agree with what Monte said.....

i had a 100mm that just didn't work on my new ride, needed a shorter axle to crown and put a 15mm spacer in to bring it down to 85mm.

bike and fork and rider are now very happy!!!!!

heckler
    thanks for the info guys - the spacer mod is ideal, i really didn't want to go as far as trimming the shaft permanently
    Mythic Spitfire/Lynskey 29er/Orange 5/Turner Sultan/Cotic Soul/Brodie Ti Holeshot/GF Ferrous/Cotic Roadrat

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    What's wrong with this? Post #25 on page 3 of the big thread. I did it on a 120, took it down to 100 no problem.

Slide the 2 parts off the rod to the right of the arrow, slide a 20 mm spacer in, replace 2 parts, put'r back together.

TPC, Absolute, shouldn't make a difference since both dampers fit the same leg and you aren't doing anything on that side.
    thanks for the info. Like some others here who have posted similarly, i was going on the information provided directly by manitou tech support who were very emphatic that a simple spacer mod would not work well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i pinged manitou again today, describing the spacer mod, and their reply was "You can do it but it does void the warranty on your fork. "

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    i pinged manitou again today, describing the spacer mod, and their reply was "You can do it but it does void the warranty on your fork. "
    That's they're right to say, cya. If you look at where the spacer goes, there's nothing it can do to mess up the fork. It's a top out bumper spacer, stops the fork from getting full extension.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out with a packaged spacer just for this, that goes in this place, that they designed, and is covered by the warranty. It's such a simple mod.

os2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Monte - Thanks - Very helpful explanation!
    Last edited by os2; 03-31-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Gold Member
    I just put this fork (20 TA) on my Dos and I'm loving it. I was surprised since it's set to 100mm, I thought I'd need a max of 80 & possibly go to 60, but on the Dos 100 doesn't seem too bad.

os2, the answer is yes. The travel is reduced by not allowing a full ext, so your A-C is shortened too.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I reduced my 120 down to 100 also. I have not had any problems with it, and might go to 90 to get it lower.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Where did you guys get the spacers for this conversion? I'm tempted to get a 120mm fork and drop it to 100 if it doesn't ride the right way for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I shortened a 120mm TA down to 90mm with some old reba spacers and the instructions linked above. (Thanks) At first it rode like poo, it was way too linear and had no rebound damping. I figured the 120 travel spring was the problem. I ordered the 80mm medium spring kit and the Abs+ damper. Both made a huge difference. The spring was a little lighter but the rod it came with was longer than the blue rod that was previously in my fork. Long rod means the air spring chamber is smaller. Guess what that did? It make the fork more progressive which is just what it needed. The Abs+ damper is also much nicer. This is a good set up.
    If you change travel I'd recommend replacing the spring kit.
    2 wheels

Members who have read this thread: 0