Fork shopping...can someone please clarify a few things?- Mtbr.com
    Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Fork shopping...can someone please clarify a few things?

I know I want a tapered steerer, through axle and 120mm of travel that can also be adjusted down to 100mm/80mm. After that, things get murky.

I'm a simple trail rider so I don't need every new feature out there but I also don't want to settle for too little.

Can someone clarify, in lamen's terms, the differences between Fox RL, RLC, TALAS and Terralogic? Also, the difference between Reba Race, Team, XX, RLT and RLT Ti?

I've shopped the Marzocchi, Manitou and White Brothers offerings as well but I think I've settled on the Fox/Reba options.

Other options/opinions?

Its got what plants crave
    Fox:

RL - Rebound, lockout, no compression adjustment
    RLC - Rebound, lockout, compression adjustment
    TALAS- Gives you an on the fly travel adjustment, and more than likely has lockout, rebound, and compression adjustments as well
    Terralogic - Sort of a "brain" shock that remains locked out until you hit a bump, and more than likely has the rebound, lockout, and compression adjustments

RS I am not as familiar with, but the Reba Team and Race are probably the same with the exception of a remote lockout feature. I don't know much about the XX/RLT/RLT Ti, maybe somebody else can chime in there.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Carbon & Ti rule
    What bike are you putting it on ?

Look here.

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/category/103
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

Short-Change-Hero
    Also what is your budget, intended riding style/use of fork, etc. We need more detail to help out. All the names you listed are great brands with great products which will all offer different pluses/minuses. The above questions will determine where you need to go from there.

Questions:
    - Are you sure you need tapered steerer tube?
    - Why thru-axle? You do realize this will require a front hub that supports thru-axle or a fork that can support a QR adapter if you already have the wheels?
    - 120mm downgradeable to 100/80mm? Why? Do you really plan on adjusting that much?

Underskilled
    Glad you are getting the tapered and through axle, good additions and worth more than extra travel IMO.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    The fork is for a Yelli Screamy I want the option to change travel in case I go with a different frame in the future. I see the bike industry headed for tapered headtubes as a standard in the next few years so I doubt I'll regret it.

I have a Hope Pro2 front wheel so QR, 9mm, 15mm and 20mm are a quick cap swap away

Budget is open ended but I don't want to spend more than $600 unless it is for a serious, worthwhile feature. I'd LOVE the Terralogic feature but that's retarded $$$! If I could find a used/closeout deal then I'd be interested...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Not sure if it fits your needs with regard to compression adjustment but; chainreaction cycles is having some screaming deals on older tapered fox forks with 15mm QR.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=53045

I don't know how easy it would be to change travel on a fox (most rockshox forks just need some internals swapped around and maybe a new part or two - except the race version - it's usually got cutdown stanchions to decrease weight, which limits longer travel setups).

mtbr member
    Well Jim nailed it for Fox and here's what I know for RS
    RLT - Remote, Lockout, Threshold
    Ti - means it has the Black Box MC damper unit
    XX - comes with the remote and Black Box MC unit
    Race - is your basic with external adjustment for the MC unitand compression.You need a allen key to adjust the blowoff threshold.
    Team - has external threshold adjust along with everything else Race has and most times remote MC lockout.

For me, I've only had Reba Race models in both 26" and 29" versions and reaching down to flip the MC knob has never been an issue for me, PLUS with the knob instead of remote you can fine tune just how much the MC is, whereas with the remote it's either full on or off. Have the Minute 120mm and it works the same way. AFAIK Manitou will be releasing a tapered Minute sometime this year and they have their new 15mm TA system to come AFAIK for 2012 (aka sometime late this year should be)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_amador
    Not sure if it fits your needs with regard to compression adjustment but; chainreaction cycles is having some screaming deals on older tapered fox forks with 15mm QR.

[url]

I don't know how easy it would be to change travel on a fox (most rockshox forks just need some internals swapped around and maybe a new part or two - except the race version - it's usually got cutdown stanchions to decrease weight, which limits longer travel setups).
    Those are great prices on Fox forks. For 26ers...

Changing the travel on fox forks is about the same as a Reba. You have to take out the damper and there's three holes for each travel setting. You simply push out the pin holding the damper to the shaft and move the damper up or down the shaft and reinsert the pin. The 120 forks can go down to 100/80 but the shorter length forks can't go up to 120. Therefore, I want a 120 for the most compatability options. The RL/RLC work that way anyway. I don't know about the TALAS/Terralogic forks...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Well Jim nailed it for Fox and here's what I know for RS
    RLT - Remote, Lockout, Threshold
    Ti - means it has the Black Box MC damper unit
    XX - comes with the remote and Black Box MC unit
    Race - is your basic with external adjustment for the MC unitand compression.You need a allen key to adjust the blowoff threshold.
    Team - has external threshold adjust along with everything else Race has and most times remote MC lockout.

For me, I've only had Reba Race models in both 26" and 29" versions and reaching down to flip the MC knob has never been an issue for me, PLUS with the knob instead of remote you can fine tune just how much the MC is, whereas with the remote it's either full on or off. Have the Minute 120mm and it works the same way. AFAIK Manitou will be releasing a tapered Minute sometime this year and they have their new 15mm TA system to come AFAIK for 2012 (aka sometime late this year should be)
    So a 2010 Reba Team has some kind of pedal platform like my White Brothers Magic80? I like that feature a lot but won't be paying close to $1000 for it. I found a Reba Team without the PushLoc for a pretty good price. If it has pedal platform I'll probably jump on it

mtbr member
    All Rebas have MC (Motion Control) which is RSs platform, only it doesn't ever lock out fully, you'll usually get anywhere from 1/2-3/4" travel depending on air pressure and more specificaly NEG air pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    So a 2010 Reba Team has some kind of pedal platform like my White Brothers Magic80? I like that feature a lot but won't be paying close to $1000 for it. I found a Reba Team without the PushLoc for a pretty good price. If it has pedal platform I'll probably jump on it
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    LyNx: Maybe true for earlier Reba's but my 2010 Reba XX only allows about 3/8" when locked the same as my 2 Fox's.

The Reba XX has pretty much everything SRAM has except the carbon steer tube the Sid has, but they don't make a 29er Sid (too bad) The Reba XX has black box motion control, dual air, magnesium lower legs, Xloc push button hydraulic remote lockout with adjustable Floodgate, dual flow rebound damping. They are available in either regular or tapered steer tube and either quick release or 20mm.

I have in 29er version a 2008 Fox RL, 2010 Fox RLC with FIT, and 2010 Rock Shox Reba XX

I recommend the XX, the Xlock remote is hydraulic and the easiest remote ever. It also has adjustable blow off (called Floodgate) on the Xlock so you can fine tune how much force it takes to move it and the range is very wide from medium small hits; to you have to do a big drop to move it. The fork comes with 2 small spacers if you want to reduce it to 80mm. I have found that if you increase Neg air about 5 psi it is basically the same as reducing the fork from 100 to 90 (assuming you leave all other settings the same). The XX has a way better ride and compliance than the RL. The New RLC with Fit is about equal to the XX in ride, but it is practically impossible to add a remote to a Fox shock and their remotes are mechanical anyway and not really adjustable. Once you have ridden with an Xloc, you will never buy another shock without it.

Reba XX's are all over ebay for $600 landed. One thing to remember; the Xloc comes in left and right versions. Be sure you know which one you want before you buy one because it costs about $50 to change after the fact. On a geared bike, I would get a left and on a SS I would get a right. Mine is a right and on a geared bike and sometimes my right thumb can get kinda busy.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008

mtbr member
    Interesting. What pressures do you run? Are they a lot different, within the 10PSI rule? I used to run about 70 NEG/110 POS on mine. Could also be the Black Box MD unit
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy
    LyNx: Maybe true for earlier Reba's but my 2010 Reba XX only allows about 3/8" when locked the same as my 2 Fox's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Reba Team also has the Blackbox Motion Control. At least, the 2010 model does.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If that were black, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Might end up even going for this anyway, although a black fork would go better with my frame.

Edit: nope, I can't, just noticed that it's tapered.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I weigh about 175 and I run 115 115 which is within the recommendations on the leg of the shock from Rock Shox. If I increase neg air to 120 it seems to squat the shock down a little and it still rides the same so I say it turns it into a 90mm. Sounds to me like they have totally changed the tuning of the shock since yours was made.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I want black too. Trivial and superficial, I know...

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The black ones are rare. I have a black tapered one on my Jet, but it came from Niner. I think most of the black ones are OEM since the black ones I have seen on ebay were new bike take offs.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    You might call Niner. They might have some left or can still buy them from SRAM OEM.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    If that were black, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Might end up even going for this anyway, although a black fork would go better with my frame.

Edit: nope, I can't, just noticed that it's tapered.
    Here you go Non tapered

http://cgi.ebay.com/RockShox-Reba-XX...item255feae36c

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    and not 29'ers.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Yea, I seldom see the 29er XX below around $600. That is why I thought that was such a smokin' deal. And the Op wanted tapered. Call Niner if you want black.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    what about the new Marzocchi 44 ti micro 29 2011?
    Is it any good?
    It seems little bit cheaper than Fox .
    Any reviews on it?
    thanks

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'm already running a DT RWS 9mm skewer with my Hope wheel. Have any of you guys gone from a the 9mm QR to the 15mm TA? The QR model F29/Reba are much more abundant on the cheap than the TA stuff is. With a 120mm travel should I even be considering not going TA or is it only margianlly better. The Fox has pretty stout stanchions so I'm beginning to wonder, rather, my wallet is beginning to wonder if TA is really necessary.

mtbr member
    There's not even a question about QR vs TA, TA wins every time. Since I made the switch I won't ever be buying a fork that uses a 5mm QR ever again. I also used to run my Reba with a DT RWS and it helped, but nothing compared to the switch to the 20mm TA on the Minute.
    I'm already running a DT RWS 9mm skewer with my Hope wheel. Have any of you guys gone from a the 9mm QR to the 15mm TA? The QR model F29/Reba are much more abundant on the cheap than the TA stuff is. With a 120mm travel should I even be considering not going TA or is it only margianlly better. The Fox has pretty stout stanchions so I'm beginning to wonder, rather, my wallet is beginning to wonder if TA is really necessary.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Check...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    How big of a difference does the tapered steerer actually have on a fork equipped with a thru axle? It sucks to keep finding deals on Fox forks but none of them are equipped with BOTH TA and tapered steerer Apparently the one I want is the one to have;p

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You do have a tapered headtube frame, right?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    You do have a tapered headtube frame, right?
    Someone didn't read the entire thread Yes I do

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I was going to get the one they're selling on ebay. Was $515, not they've raised the price quite a bit. 2 people got a smokin deal.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Glad to be of service.

mtbr member
    PM for details. I purchased from a well know MTBR seller a 2011 F29 120 for a smoke'n price. I'm sure he can get you the tapered version too, possibly a black Reba OEM. TA are a must. IMHO the new coating on the 2011 non OEM Fox forks is super smooth and worth it. Good luck with your search.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Someone didn't read the entire thread Yes I do
    No, I did. You said you wanted a tapered fork, but just wanted to be sure your bike could take one.

Anyway, for those who don't need a tapered steerer, Cambria has the 2010 Reba Team with Maxle for $549. Both black and white.

Just ordered one, hope it comes as described, and doesn't have problems with the lowers' alignment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Smokin' deal no longer smokin'.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    That ebay one doesn't have the Xloc though; which I feel is the best thing to happen to forks in a while.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Reaching down to lockout a reba doesn't bother me because the lockout knob is the only thing there, you don't really need to look.

The fox rlc on my other bike is a pain in the ass because you can accidentally turn the compression when you turn the lockout - and if you don't clean them all the time they stick together - dumb design.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    And there is no way to get a remote for a Fox except replacing the fork internals (if they even sell all the parts for your fork) and it would cost around $200.

My opinion is that the Reba XX and the Fox RLC with Fit both dampen really well (like riding a couch) and I am sure the new 2011 Fox coating is probably an improvement (a bed instead of a couch), but damping is not the problem with these forks. To me the push button hydraulic Xloc is the best fork feature ever.

Carbon & Ti rule
    And there is no way to get a remote for a Fox except replacing the fork internals (if they even sell all the parts for your fork) and it would cost around $200.

My opinion is that the Reba XX and the Fox RLC with Fit both dampen really well (like riding a couch) and I am sure the new 2011 Fox coating is probably an improvement (a bed instead of a couch), but damping is not the problem with these forks. To me the push button hydraulic Xloc is the best fork feature ever.
    +1
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    No, I did. You said you wanted a tapered fork, but just wanted to be sure your bike could take one.

Anyway, for those who don't need a tapered steerer, Cambria has the 2010 Reba Team with Maxle for $549. Both black and white.

Just ordered one, hope it comes as described, and doesn't have problems with the lowers' alignment.
    Great. Got an email from Cambria stating that they were out of stock on the fork. Despite the website saying they were in stock. Said to wait for the backorder to be filled, but since these are 2010 models, I'm not expecting them to get any more in.

Looks like I've got to step up and pay full price, or thereabouts, if I want a fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have an unused Reba XX that I will sell you. The steerer has been cut, but will work fine with your frame. 500.00. PM me for the details if you are interested.

Jake

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Well, the Yelli frame is on it's way. I'm still looking for a sweet deal but not finding much that catches my attention. Once my current frame, fork and a few other random items sell on ebay in a few days I may just go all out and buy an '11 Terralogic. WAAAY more than I want to spend but it should also be relevant and useful for years to come. I've been spending a few hundred a year for the past five years constantly upgrading/settling for the fork of last month so the current latest and greatest might be fun for a change My ebay ID is "red98accord" if anyone is interested in some of my old crap

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Here is my fork info if anyone is interested. It is white. 500.00

Rock Shox Reba XX Dual Air 29er fork w/ XLoc remote lockout.

Travel: 100mm pre set
    Steerer Tube: Tapered, 170mm length
    Axle: 9mm
    Brakes: Disc Only
    External Rebound
    XLoc Remote Lockout
    XLoc External Floodgate Adjust
    Motion Control Damping
    Travel Adjust 80,100,120mm

mtbr member
    Don't mean to hijack the thread- it has been very timely, very informative and helped with research: thank you for doing the leg work.

Does anyone know of a good price on a non tapered,non TA Rock Shox 29er Reba XX?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    If you are not in a hurry, watch ebay. A month ago there were 2-3 at any one time for $600-$675 landed. Currently there are none. Could be that this years production is sold out, but generally, new bike take offs show up periodically. Other than that, if Speedgoat has any left, they generally have huge sales from time to time to clear out old stock. Also, you cna do a Google search and follow a few dozen links and see what you find. That was how I found the smokin' deal before it was raised to the new higher price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Not interested in an XX, as far as I can tell, it's the standard Motion Control(unless the XX Motion Control is the same as the Blackbox, I'll have to check the SRAM site on that.

Also don't want to buy on eBay, as I've seen elsewhere on this site many Reba with Maxle buyers who have had their fork lowers just a shade out of alignment, causing the tire to rub on the fork leg. SRAM has been doing a great job taking care of these people under warranty, but that wouldn't be an option if I got the fork on eBay.

For the XX, $583 with free shipping a good deal?

http://rideabike.com/product/rocksho...k6275-qc37.htm

Edit: Sorry, the second link was a TA fork.

I've been doing some looking this afternoon.
    Last edited by rufus; 01-05-2011 at 06:32 PM.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    By the way, I believe the XX 100 mm travel 9mm quick release forks are not adjustable to 120 but the Maxle ones are. I think I read that on the SRAM web site a while back.

mtbr member
    Just in case anyone's still looking, Larry from Mtn.High had given me his prices on the Rebas and I was quite surprised how good they were, not sure if he's still doing those, but one could shoot him an e-mail and check.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    By the way, I believe the XX 100 mm travel 9mm quick release forks are not adjustable to 120 but the Maxle ones are. I think I read that on the SRAM web site a while back.
    Correct. 80mm-100mm

J

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Fox RL 120mm, 15mm TA, tapered steerer, with enduro seals and volume modded to use all travel (reversible) For sale, in very good shape and CHEAP. pm me. Loved this fork especially with the air chamber volume increased but my upgraditis wanted a 140mm Reba
    Last edited by The Haunted; 01-06-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Haunted
    I have a 2010 Fox RL 120mm, 15mm TA, tapered steerer, with enduro seals and volume modded to use all travel (reversible) For sale, in very good shape and CHEAP. pm me. Loved this fork especially with the air chamber volume increased but my upgraditis wanted a 140mm Reba
    BOUGHT

Side Note: For anyone still shopping for a Fox fork set up like the one I was, this ebayer messaged me back AFTER I bought The Haunted's used one and said he'd take $525 Buy it Now. It's a sweet setup:

NEW 2010 model RLC
    Thru Axle
    120mm
    tapered
    BLACK

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have no affiliation with the seller, just passing along a decent deal

Members who have read this thread: 0