Fork to run on my new 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Fork to run on my new 29er?

Just ordered mt new Kelly Ro Sham Bo through my local LBS and wonder which fork I should run the Reba, White Bros., or Winwood for suspension. Price is no issue, and I ordered a matching Rigid fork for the bike, but want a suspension fork for endurance events. I heard horrible things about White Bros. back about 5 years ago about leaking issues. I need imput!

bike dork extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by mboeder
    Just ordered mt new Kelly Ro Sham Bo through my local LBS and wonder which fork I should run the Reba, White Bros., or Winwood for suspension. Price is no issue, and I ordered a matching Rigid fork for the bike, but want a suspension fork for endurance events. I heard horrible things about White Bros. back about 5 years ago about leaking issues. I need imput!
    I like my Reba. Stiff, excellent damping, and plush (as long as you don't follow the recommended air pressures).

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy
    I like my Reba. Stiff, excellent damping, and plush (as long as you don't follow the recommended air pressures).

Do the winwood. Freaking sweetest fork ever made, right? With carbon fiber on it, who care if the fork feels like crap.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

No Justice = No Peace

Just to be contrary

I rode my new bike with a Marzocchi for a few weeks until the WB came in. Althoug the Marz wasn't as bad as everyone says, I can't believe how GREAT The WB feels. I like stiff, controlled forks,a d this is it. Not wobbly or super soft, but very smooth on the little stuff, composed on the big hits, drops and such, and very very controlled when climbing. Just doesn't bob.

It made the bike feel two pounds lighter when I made the change. I like it a lot.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Work Shed...
    I second the reba, I'm really loving mine so far!
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Are you riding the IMV version, or the older WB?

Peace & Love
    tough question.......

I have a Reba and think very highly of it and can certainly vouch for it.....

The new IMV WB forks intrigue me a lot and I almost bought it......

But, the Maverick SC-32 has some blue in it which matches my brake levers for the new build so I had no choice but to go Maverick on this bike.

Down South Yooper

Suspension Corrected?

Is your Kelly suspension corrected? I had a friend with an older one, and he put an 80mm REBA on it, and it was really choppered out, and handled poorly. I would think that most newer frames are ready for this, but I'm not sure I've seen a sus corrected Kelly fork.

All other things aside, the most popular choice is a reba, but I would lean towards a SC-32. The downside to that is a specific front wheel that you can't use with your rigid fork.

I'd like to see pics when you're done though..

Plum

mtbr member

Forks

1st choice.... Reba
    2nd choice....Reba
    3rd choice....Reba

80mm or 100mm and converted easily. Check for DT clearance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    Is your Kelly suspension corrected? I had a friend with an older one, and he put an 80mm REBA on it, and it was really choppered out, and handled poorly. I would think that most newer frames are ready for this, but I'm not sure I've seen a sus corrected Kelly fork.

All other things aside, the most popular choice is a reba, but I would lean towards a SC-32. The downside to that is a specific front wheel that you can't use with your rigid fork.

I'd like to see pics when you're done though..

Plum
    I called and talked to Chirs Kelly and he said all of his 29ers are built around an 80mm rebe fork. Him and I both agreed that a 100mm 29er fork is ridiculous for a 29er hardtail and will not work well with his frames. I guess I will go with the most ran 29er fork.(REBA)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I know I have no streetcredit here, but I have owned a rig for over a year with a reba and a dos niner with a wb .8 for about 6 months now. I just bought an imv to move my .8 from my dos niner to my rig without even slightly going to miss my reba. I do not hate my reba (nothing like my sid many years ago) but it just doesn't feel as smooth/fluid/predictable as my wb does. I have raced on fox, marzocchi, manitou, and of course rock shox, but am looking forward to a full season on the wb.
    Last edited by rhadrj; 02-18-2006 at 07:35 PM.

No Justice = No Peace

You talking to me? ..... You talking to me?

Quote Originally Posted by the_eleven
    Are you riding the IMV version, or the older WB?

I'm riding the new IMV Magic 100 and I love it more every ride. I have the preload dialed perfecctly at just over 90 now, and I have turned the compression out about a half turn (3 clicks I think) from the stock setting. When I stand and climb, even on steep stuff where I'm maybe a little less smooth, the fork just sits there. ZERO bob.

The motion on the bigger hits, dropping off steps and rolling rocky sections seems smooth. Not like my TALAS which is smoother than a snowboard on Utah powder, but it's damn smooth.

On chatter board fire roads, I think it falls a little short. THis may be something I can adjust out, but it does feel a little slow to respond to the rapid fire small impacts that we get a lot of here in NorCal.

Overall, the stiff, stable feel is a winner. No complaints, and Mike got me a very good deal on it when I bought my DeSalvo. Maybe Chris can hook you up too.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Sep 2005
    You know, when I got my Kelly I talked with Chris and he told me his 29" frames were suspension corrected. I also ordered a matching rigid fork to go with my bike, much for the same reasons you did. When I got the fork I measured it and it was way too short to be sus. corrected. I can't remember exactly the length bit I think it was around 435 A to C. I put it up next to my WB BW 0.8 and the rigid fork was way shorter. That and the miserable tire clearance soured me on the Kelly brand. The bike was beautiful but those shortcomings were just too much. FWIW I ordered my frame late fall of 2004.

My $0.02.

I called and talked to Chirs Kelly and he said all of his 29ers are built around an 80mm rebe fork. Him and I both agreed that a 100mm 29er fork is ridiculous for a 29er hardtail and will not work well with his frames. I guess I will go with the most ran 29er fork.(REBA)

Members who have read this thread: 0