Which fork for Nimble 9 SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Which fork for Nimble 9 SS

Thinking about preordering a Nimble 9 and a new fork from Canfieldbrothers.de but I don't know which fork to get. I'm currently on a steel frame with a rigid steel fork with 470 mm A to C and a Chris King front wheel (Flow rim / Alpine spokes) with a Salsa QR. I weigh around 165 lbs...

So the questions are:

- QR vs through axel (think I can convert my CK hub to 15 mm and use a Fox but if I go with a Reba with Maxle Lite I'll need a new front wheel, right...?)

- 100 mm vs 120 mm? Will I hate 120 mm on a single speed...?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was planning on a 120mm fox 15mm fork when I get one. If you don't like 120mm, you can always throw in a spacer and take it to 80mm or 100mm. Thru-axles are always better. I'm only doing the fox because I already have it, otherwise I'd probably go for a 20mm maxle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    preordering a Nimble 9 and a new fork from Canfieldbrothers.de
    Have they given you any eta info or more updated pics/details?

I was thinking of running one rigid

But to answer your original question I run 120mm on my Y-S - thought I might drop it to 100 before I got it, but it's perfect And 20mm or 15mm through axle makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    Have they given you any eta info or more updated pics/details?

I was thinking of running one rigid

But to answer your original question I run 120mm on my Y-S - thought I might drop it to 100 before I got it, but it's perfect And 20mm or 15mm through axle makes a big difference.
    Sorry, no eta or any other updates...just E-building my new bike

I also thought about a Niner carbon fork but I already have a rigid steel fork that rides very nice so I'll go for some suspension on the Nimble9.

Most people I've talked to seem to think that the through axle is a little better than a QR so I'll most likely go that way.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977
    Thinking about preordering a Nimble 9 and a new fork from Canfieldbrothers.de but I don't know which fork to get. I'm currently on a steel frame with a rigid steel fork with 470 mm A to C and a Chris King front wheel (Flow rim / Alpine spokes) with a Salsa QR. I weigh around 165 lbs...

So the questions are:

- QR vs through axel (think I can convert my CK hub to 15 mm and use a Fox but if I go with a Reba with Maxle Lite I'll need a new front wheel, right...?)
    Correct on the King front thing. You can convert to 15mm, but not 20mm.

Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977
    - 100 mm vs 120 mm? Will I hate 120 mm on a single speed...?
    I have run between 100-140 on a SS, and personally prefer a 100. They all work okay. If you get the Reba 140, I it can be spaced down to 120 or 100, so you can mess with it to find the sweet spot. I imagine the Fox can do the same, but unsure. The Reba in the long length is tapered only I believe, so that would rule it out for the Nimble 9 unless Canfield makes the head tube so it will accept tapered forks.

There is a Terralogic Talas Fox that adjusts from 95-120 with a turn of a dial and that may be the ticket for a dedicated SS rider with desire for 15mm TA. I do not know if this fork is available with a straight steerer, and that will be critical to your decision, but otherwise, it may be the best fork for the application right now.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/forks/32_TALAS_29
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Correct on the King front thing. You can convert to 15mm, but not 20mm.

I have run between 100-140 on a SS, and personally prefer a 100. They all work okay. If you get the Reba 140, I it can be spaced down to 120 or 100, so you can mess with it to find the sweet spot. I imagine the Fox can do the same, but unsure. The Reba in the long length is tapered only I believe, so that would rule it out for the Nimble 9 unless Canfield makes the head tube so it will accept tapered forks.

There is a Terralogic Talas Fox that adjusts from 95-120 with a turn of a dial and that may be the ticket for a dedicated SS rider with desire for 15mm TA. I do not know if this fork is available with a straight steerer, and that will be critical to your decision, but otherwise, it may be the best fork for the application right now.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/forks/32_TALAS_29

Could I spend time sessioning a log with rocks built up back and front on this fork?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

WNC Native
    [QUOTE=Enel]There is a Terralogic Talas Fox that adjusts from 95-120 with a turn of a dial and that may be the ticket for a dedicated SS rider with desire for 15mm TA. I do not know if this fork is available with a straight steerer/QUOTE]

It is available in straight steerer.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Members who have read this thread: 1