Fork dilemma, expertise needed!!- Mtbr.com
    Live Life, Ride a Bike!

Fork dilemma, expertise needed!!

Ok so I am currently running Industry Nine Enduro hubs with 160mm Avid BB7's Rigid with the intent of going to 185mm with the suspension , I have made up my mind that I am going Reba for my Misfit diSSent

Issue 1- Reports of 20mm I9 hub kit not interfacing well with the maxle and disc brake setups, as well as 20mm TA kits sold out everywhere. But everyone says 20mm TA is the best option

Issue 2- It has been suggested that the 9x100 DT swiss RWS TA (if you would call it that) is plenty stiff for HT XC/AM riding and the 9x100 TA kits for I9 hubs are readily available

I would love some input on this from those who are currently running either or have worked on either of these Issues in a shop. Thank You!

Live Life, Ride a Bike!
    somebody???

Bite Me.
    I have the DT Swiss RWS thrubolt on the Manitou 120 with I9 wheels - it is plenty stiff. Noticeably stiffer than when I was running a standard QR skewer. No doubt the 20mm TA will be stiffer still, but I question whether it would be dramatically better for typical XC/AM riding. I have Formula Biancos with a 180mm rotor and there is no interference with the post mount set up. For the price I think the RWS set up is a good option, plus you can still use a conventional fork mount w/o a Hurricane adaptor (though that's not a big deal). I also run the RWS 10mm thrubolt on the rear wheel and that adds a lot of beef to the back end.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    I have the DT Swiss RWS thrubolt on the Manitou 120 with I9 wheels - it is plenty stiff. Noticeably stiffer than when I was running a standard QR skewer. No doubt the 20mm TA will be stiffer still, but I question whether it would be dramatically better for typical XC/AM riding. I have Formula Biancos with a 180mm rotor and there is no interference with the post mount set up. For the price I think the RWS set up is a good option, plus you can still use a conventional fork mount w/o a Hurricane adaptor (though that's not a big deal). I also run the RWS 10mm thrubolt on the rear wheel and that adds a lot of beef to the back end.
    I think cutthroat nailed it. I have a similar set-up on my FS, and a thru-axle on my hardtail. The 20mm is super stiff and precise, but I have been more than satisfied with the RWS on the fully. The RWS is way stiffer than conventional QR. All bikes for me from here on out will be run with either the RWS, 15mm, or 20mm axle.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

mtbr member
    I am currently running a 2009 Rock Shox Team Reba with a 20 mm Maxle Lite, a I9 front hub, a 2009 Formula K24 180 mm front disc, and a 2007? Formula K24 caliper fitted to a 180 mm fork adaptor. I don't have any clearance issues (although the fork/disc clearance seems to be quite tight) and the system has been problem free. I hope that helps.

Live Life, Ride a Bike!
    Thanks guys, I am on the fence now with the 9mm or 20mm mainly because of the brake issues that have been posted with the 20mm.

Members who have read this thread: 0