Fork conundrum for my (not yet build, but in line) Strong 29'er SS- Mtbr.com
    indigosky

Fork conundrum for my (not yet built, but in line) Strong 29'er SS

Ok, so Im in line for my new steel Strong Racing 29er SS. Ive got a freshly factory re-built White Brothers CX-1 for lined up for it (with 4 extra bushings, new wipers, etc.), but I keep having these thought about a rigid Vicious Cycles fork. At this point keeping both is out of my price range unfortunately.

Ive got a Karate Monkey with the KM fork and I really love the way it handles, but Im concerned about running rigid for the long term, especially up here in Maine with so many rocks and roots to pound the piss out of you.

Is a Vicious fork ~really~ that much more forgiving than a KM fork, or am I just fooling myself? Will a Vicious fork hold up under my 6-2 225lb a$$?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by indigosky; 01-05-2005 at 02:24 PM.

Aug 2004

Is a Vicious long enough?

Is your frame geometry designed for an 80/100mm fork? If so the KM fork should be long enough, I need a 470mm rigid so I can run 80mm Sus forks. Is Vicious building a 29" fork that long yet?

indigosky
    Quote Originally Posted by PinsNeedles
    Is your frame geometry designed for an 80/100mm fork? If so the KM fork should be long enough, I need a 470mm rigid so I can run 80mm Sus forks. Is Vicious building a 29" fork that long yet?
    Yes, they make a 29'er specific disc fork. I can go with a KM fork, but the Vicious fork is about 280 grams lighter and supposedly more forgiving.

Frame Building Moderator

The Vicious is not suspension corrected.

It's 438mm crown-axle. I just designed a frame for someone around one of them. You'll need a fork about 30mm longer to allow a suspension fork without screwing up the geometry of the bike.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    Yes, they make a 29'er specific disc fork. I can go with a KM fork, but the Vicious fork is about 280 grams lighter and supposedly more forgiving.

indigosky
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt
    It's 438mm crown-axle. I just designed a frame for someone around one of them. You'll need a fork about 30mm longer to allow a suspension fork without screwing up the geometry of the bike.

-Walt
    Walt, Thanks I didn't see that on their website. So the difference between my KM fork and the Vicious is 30mm a to c, which is a lot. Is there anyone that makes a suspension corrected 29er fork (other than Surly?)

Recovering couch patato
    Try...Walt himself :-)
    Wily (banner above) as well.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

indigosky
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Try...Walt himself :-)
    Wily (banner above) as well.
    Thanks Clox.

So Walt... should my size be a consideration when looking at one of your forks (which look so sweet, btw)? $220 for a disc 29er fork 470 a. to c. correct?

Thanks.

Frame Building Moderator

Ask Carl!

If you're already getting a frame, he might cut you a really good deal on a fork. I know he builds 'em, but I'm not sure if he does suspension corrected 29er ones.

Otherwise, like Cloxxi said, there are a bunch of options:
    Wily
    Xian/Spicer Titanium
    Kelly
    ...and me.

I'm sure there are others as well... but ask Carl first.

-Walt

Frame Building Moderator

Out of the recommended range for me...

I don't recommend mine for folks over 190 or so. I'll do one, but I think it'll be too flexy for you. I believe Brad at Wily does one that he says will work for guys your weight - you should contact him.

My ramblings on the subject of rigid forks for Clydes could probably be found with a search if you want the full scoop - suffice to say I think you just want a KM. At your weight, you'll get plenty of flex out of it, it's cheap, and you don't have to worry about breaking it. Any fork built sturdy enough for you isn't going to be significantly lighter or cushier, in my opinion. But it will be a *lot* more expensive. Try a KM, if you don't like it, just sell it to a friend or on Ebay and try something else. Easy.

-Walt

mtbr member

one more...

Quote Originally Posted by Walt

Otherwise, like Cloxxi said, there are a bunch of options:
    Wily
    Xian/Spicer Titanium
    Kelly
    ...and me.

I'm sure there are others as well... but ask Carl first.

-Walt
    I just ordered up one of the new independent sus corrected forks to go with my new ss. They will be available in march and will be 472 mm. These aren't the silly looking ones with a spacer at the top of the crown. They have some new true temp (at least I think this is what they said) fork blades comming in the next month or so.

e

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

vicious forks

Vicious has a new "suspension corrected" 29er fork on the way @ 471mm a-c, now that true temper has a new fork tubeset. I hear march time frame?

I noticed a difference between my surly 1x1 and the vicious fork (older 438mm version). It just feels a little less harsh.

The new tubeset is supposed to be stronger (thicker) to support the longer legs so I'm not sure how much different it will end up being.

Unless you're a dedicated rigid rider, I would stick to the Monkey fork. Not sure you'll really notice $150 of difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

True Temper

Interesting that many/most companies use the same tubes etc but the prices vary greatly!

If IF and vicious are both using the new TT fork tubset what does IF do to them for the extra $100+ they charge?

Vicious = $225
    IF = $349

IF makes some sweet rigs but why such a gap for the same item?

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Vicious

Rockdogger is right. Vicious is doing a suspension corrected 29er fork this Spring. Their Motivator frame is now suspension corrected as well. I have been riding my suspension corrected Motivator with an KM fork on it for about 2 weeks now and I really like how the frame and fork work together. I don't think you can go wrong with any rigid 29er fork from Walt, Wily, IF or Vicious. My friend has a WaltWorks fork and it rides very nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Perfect solution...

Why not use your freshly rebuilt White Brothers fork and be done with it, I mean why spend more cash on something just as heavy that's just going to beat the crap out of you? Other than for winter commuting, my KM fork has no place on my racing bikes. Maaaybe if you were a lightweight and could get something with substantial weight savings it might be worth it, but it seems to me like you are already set. Get the KM for for touring or commuting maybe...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdogger
    Interesting that many/most companies use the same tubes etc but the prices vary greatly!

If IF and vicious are both using the new TT fork tubset what does IF do to them for the extra $100+ they charge?

Vicious = $225
    IF = $349

IF makes some sweet rigs but why such a gap for the same item?
    I figure high rents and masive amounts of beer.

As for n8's why beat he s#!t out of yourself with at rigid, I already have the sussy race rig. I'm just looking for a change. I'll race it in a few ss rigid only events. Besides my riding parter has been kicking my ass with a hangover on a ss rigid for the last year and I'm getting desperate.

e

Just Ride!
    Here is copy of Peyto info posted some time back;

While searching 29er rigid forks, I came accross Peyto, and here is their latest;

http://www.members.shaw.ca/peyto/products/forkage.htm

The 29er fork is ready to go. It features an investment cast crown and dropouts. The blades are non-tapered, butted 4130 and come in 3 wall thicknesses depending on rider weight.

For now, they will be custom, made to order. Wait time is about 4-6 weeks.
    Standard dimensions are 465mm with 44mm rake, but you can spec your own numbers. Price is $225 CAN (plus shipping outside canada, plus GST within canada) with your choice of color. Disk, canti or both.

will take some pictures today and post them today or tomorrow. The fork should offer more give than the KM fork. Weights are between 875g and 1075g unpainted with steerer cut to 250mm.

As you can see, the fork has a pretty narrow profile. Lots of room for the current crop of 29er tires, but if someone makes a 2.5" wide tire, mud clearance on the sides would be minimal.

I will probably only build these forks like this with the cast crown until True Temper releases their new longer unicrown blades.

http://www.peytocycles.com/

Who turned out the lights
    I know I felt the difference when I swapped the stock KM fork out for a 450mm Sycip I bought from Donkey. Ride is very comparable to my Rock Lobster (in terms of forks). The KM fork bounced me all over the place on rocky trails (especially downhills) to the point that I had to ride slower than I wanted to because I was afraid of hitting a rock and getting the front wheel bounced off the trail at high speed (happened a couple of times, causing diggers that hurt like hell). With the Sycip, it now feels much more stable and predictable, and I feel comfortable railing it thru turns and not braking on downhills. I'm 6' @ 190lbs

rider
    I ran into the rigid fork length issue on my Spot. I was jumping for joy when I received my new Vicious fork only to realize I goofed on the axle to crown and had a really short fork! Walt was kind enought to email me back when I requested fork build info but unfortunatley my 205 lbs. weren't in the safe range for Walt's deal of a fork so I go for the Monkey for under $70. It's not so bad when you weigh 200+. Not as stiff as I anticipated from all of the forum feedback. Then again you never know what someone weighs. I did reach out to VIcious and as stated above, the longer fork will be out it in the Spring. In the mean time, I have a $225 brand new Vicious fork collecting dust.

You live, you learn...