Forget Monster Cross, I ride an All Terrain Bike!- Mtbr.com
    I'm attracted to Gravity!

Forget Monster Cross, I ride an All Terrain Bike!

Lets end the silly semantics about Monstercross and stick to the conservative definition of it. Drop bars, rim brakes, 45ish knobby tires, cross geometry. Whatever you want for gearing.
    Drop bar 29ers are not Monstercross.

The All Terrain Bike is built with the intent to compromise its capabilities between road, dirt road, and trail riding. This definition is intended to be used for those bikes where other currently used definitions fall short. Simply put, it is a weird bike, built however I need, that will go almost anywhere well enough. If it fits into a more specific category, use that category.

My Fisticuff fits the bill. With flat bars, mullet brakes, and room for any tire up to 1.9, it doesn't fit the Monstercross definition, but it is an All Terrain Bike.

My Jabberwocky is not an All Terrain Bike. It is a mountain bike.

Now shut up and ride whatever you have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I 100% AGREE!

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Real Men Ride With Oven Mitts

Sweet oven mitts and matching luggage!

Bedwards Of The West
    I don't actually ride bikes at all. I just banter over the symantic variances in nomenclature relating to various subcategories into which they fall. On the internet. Alone. In a dark room.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Map Maker
    I like brown teeth...
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Never trust a fart
    Whats up with the sail that is attached in the main triangle? Help with hills?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by cbchess
    I like brown teeth...
    It's obvious that those folk could care less what you call their all-terrain mountain fixie meunster-cross dressed recumbant brakeless Jazzy's.

What's important is that they ride those Jazzy's with oven mitts that are much more festive looking than the drab versions stuck on the grips of that Fisticuff.

My guess is that because of that festiveness they are much more easily seen by motorists.

mtbr member
    I love lamp.

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Whats up with the sail that is attached in the main triangle? Help with hills?
    It is actually for aerodynamics, along with the things on the bars and seat. Wind tunnel testing shows that air actually circulates back into the front triangle and behind the seat, creating drag, and that filling these spaces with specially shaped fabric decreases drag. The brake levers, bar ends, grips, and the rider's hands have many odd surfaces, so the things on the bars smooth out that interface and reduce drag.

With a strong tail wind, you can tack back and forth too.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by campredcloudbikes
    It is actually for aerodynamics, along with the things on the bars and seat. Wind tunnel testing shows that air actually circulates back into the front triangle and behind the seat, creating drag, and that filling these spaces with specially shaped fabric decreases drag. The brake levers, bar ends, grips, and the rider's hands have many odd surfaces, so the things on the bars smooth out that interface and reduce drag.

With a strong tail wind, you can tack back and forth too.
    That's a good point. However, I'd continue the draglessness of the bike and add a garbage can lid to the rear wheel like on the old Yeti DH bikes:

Then go new school with a dragless number plate and fyourk guards:

Eventually you'll have a prepetual motion bike. At least that's the theory.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Herman prefers the term...

..."Munstercross"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    "All Terrain Bike"? What's up, wordsy? How about just "bike".

clunker

All Terrain PRO!

...strictly downhill...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think I'm okay with the expanded definition of monstercross to include any bike with dropbars and knobby tires. It's not even a real market segment, for crying out load!

I'd consider an all-terrain bike any bike capable of traversing all terrain, including, but not limited to: mountain bikes, cross bikes, BMX bikes, touring bikes, all rounders, klunkers, monstercrossers, beach cruisers, fat bikes, country bikes, city bikes, offroad fixies, unicycles, kids' bikes with handlebar tassles, and road bikes with lots of scratches and flat tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I kinda like the term all arounder. Like this....

Currently has 40c speedmax pro. Firecross was for like a day. Horrible tire IMO

bi-winning
    ATB .

l
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jmadams13
    I kinda like the term all arounder. Like this....

Currently has 40c speedmax pro. Firecross was for like a day. Horrible tire IMO

Sounds good to me. Nice Cross Check. How do you like the mustache bars?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I don't know about you guys, but I can't my mountain bike on anything other than dirt.

When I do, bad things happens. People yell at me on the street, complaining that I'm doing it wrong and that I need drop bars. When it sits on the sidewalk, would be indie bike thieves attempt steal it then throw into the street upon coasting. Apparently they only steal fixed gears. I can't take my mountain bike on beat up country roads without getting attacked by dogs or run over by tractors.

So be glad you have all terrain bike. Because I dont.

Jan 2010

Early Monster Crosser ?

I saw Tomac race this down the Mammoth Kamikaze way back when
    Forget Monster Cross, I ride an All Terrain Bike!-tuckertomac_yeti_final_1ws.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd
    Sounds good to me. Nice Cross Check. How do you like the mustache bars?
    I love them. Tried a bunch of different bar set ups, drops, dirt drops, flat, riser, scott lifelites... And these feel the best. Hard to get very areo in them when on longer road rides (road tires) but all in all these feel great. On singletrack, bay far the most comfortable I have had away from normal MTB bars. The nitto bars have just a tad of flex. I was running the somas, but they felt like a noodle on anything just a tad rocky, and thats the point of this bike. Worth the extra coin for the nittos IMO

!Vamos, flaco!
    Pretty awesome, you rant against one subjective classifications in order to create a new one. Well played.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    So you built a hybrid. A fancy hybrid...with mitten things...

Cool.

LP

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Coconino already coined it!!
    A flat barred monstercrosser is called a "rambler".
    Someone else named it first, deal with it.

I'm breaking the mold, and using a 26" front disc'd wheel on a lemond buenos aires frame for the ultimate mullet/urban/pursuit/cyclo/rambling/monster/cumonayewannalayya/hipster/cafe bike. BOOYAH!!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by Double-Butted
    I saw Tomac race this down the Mammoth Kamikaze way back when
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuckerTomac_Yeti_Final_1ws.jpg 
Views:	2796 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	517513
    Nope, "Drop-Bar Mountain Bike" aka badass DH machine. You gotta' love a 60 tooth big ring.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    i quite like the term "dirt roadster" i like the trend - it's nice to have a prctical bike that will go where you want speedily, reliably & can carry gear in a pinch, yet eschews the designer racks & polished stainless....... Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    All your bikes suck. Mine is way better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Pabs nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Pretty awesome, you rant against one subjective classifications in order to create a new one. Well played.
    "Monstercross" is as silly a term as the rest of the contrived and frothy label of the last ten years- "All mountain" , "Free ride" etc.

Monstercross is just another way to say "cross bike with big ass tires". I'm gonna go with that moniker instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by moondoggy
    "Monstercross" is as silly a term as the rest of the contrived and frothy label of the last ten years- "All mountain" , "Free ride" etc.

Monstercross is just another way to say "cross bike with big ass tires". I'm gonna go with that moniker instead.
    EXACTLY.

And, we've been throwing around this term for half a decade, I would say it's already been decided. I rode a Willits MonsterX in 2006 for christ's sake.

Members who have read this thread: 0