flat or riser bar for 29ers ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

flat or riser bar for 29ers ?

I have notice that most bike company use flat bars instad than risers..
    can any 29er expert give me a reason for that becouse I d like to get the new RaceFace Turbine riser in purple !, but before get it I just want to make sure is going to be ok on my giant xtc 29 frame or I should go with the flat one?
    thanks

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Well, I am certainly no 29er expert. but here goes. The main reason I would put forth is to compensate for the naturally higher head tube on a 29er due to the bigger wheels.

For instance, I just set up a 29er with a 6" head tube length...pretty generous....and with an 80mm fork and a classic stack Chris King headset, I barely could make a flat bar and a 100mm 6* stem work with no spacers under it.

If I had a 100mm fork on it, I would have had to flip the stem to a neg 6*.

That is to keep the bars right at the level of the saddle, pretty much.

Hence the use of internal headsets, zero stack headsets, and shorter head tubes on 29ers.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by italianbike74
    can any 29er expert give me a reason for that becouse I d like to get the new RaceFace Turbine riser in purple !, but before get it I just want to make sure is going to be ok on my giant xtc 29 frame or I should go with the flat one?
    thanks
    On the size small and medium frames, flat bars are usually a must as mtroy points out the reasons. Moving into the Large and Extra Large size frames - whatever one needs to do to get the bars up - be it spacers, stem, riser bar - is fine and dandy as head tubes are pretty darned short for riders that are 190cm and above.

BB

Combat Wombat

What they said.

Although, it completely depends on the bike. I am 5'6", ride a 16" Vassago Jabberwocky and could easily run a set of risers. When I originally bought my frame, I ordered a Salsa Moto Ace flat bar to go with my Thomson 100mm X 5 degree stem and hoped that I would be able to get the bars low enough without having to flip the stem. Turns out that I run 22mm of spacers under my stem to get the bars where I like them. At the same time, the first 29er that I had a chance to really try out on a trail was a Gary Fisher Paragon. It fit me fine and was set up with a flat bar and negative rise stem. I have also noticed nearly every small Niner I have seen is running a negative rise stem.

As far as your Giant, I know a local CAT 1 racer that is riding a Giant 29er and he is maybe just slightly taller than me. A couple months ago, I was returning from a ride just as it was getting dark and ran into him in the parking area. This was the first time I had seen his 29er and noticed he was running a very short positive rise stem with a low set of narrow risers.

I am curious, by the nature of your question, it is difficult to tell if you currently have the Giant or are getting one.

Plays with tools
    you should buy whatever makes your bike fit. There are a couple of companies (Ritchie comes to mind) that make wide bars with a fair amount of sweep that are intended for 29'ers. There are a lot of people doing low-rise bars as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have risers on one 29er, and flat bars on the other. The risers are on my 1x3, which I tend to ride like a SS most of the time when I'm on the trail. I feel like they give me a bit more leverage. I ride a flat bar on my 2x9. I don't know exactly why I ride flat bars on it, but I put them on there when built it and I've never changed them. I do feel more like I'm down "into" the bike when I ride the one with flats, and I seem to ride more aggressively. I'm guessing it has as much to do with having more gears.

I agree with what BB said above, because I'm short.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    This is the perfect thread for me. I just got my medium Tallboy. With my seat height set I can only get the Easton lo risers that came with it to about seat level or just below. I am looking at ways to get it lower. Maybe a flat bar or a -17 stem. I am very curious to see where this thread goes and maybe learn something as well.

Underskilled
    I found 29ers make exotic bars more useful.

I use a OnOne Flugle..flegle..dammit why cant they have easy to remember names!

It is a heavily bent bar, it takes stress off the wrists (as bar heavily bent back at wrist point), it shortens the stem lightening the steering and keeps bar height low.

I use this bike for everything from DH to road, bar is good!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    I prefer risers on all of my bikes. Works for me

mtbr member
    I am not a big fan of my 29er but to make it ride ok I had to put a huge rise bar on it, so I didnt stuff the front end into everything I hit. My bars are a inch above my seat. On my 26 inch bike they are level or below.

mtbr member
    As was said earlier in this thread, use whatever flat or rise bar you need along with stem and spacers (or lack there of) to get the bars where you like them. I think as was said it all started when shorter people first tried early 29ers and had trouble getting the bars low enough, but a lot's changed since the early days.

Personally I use flat bars on all my bikes, just had them before and like them. Used to use low rise and they worked until I went to a 29er and then I found I either needed to run the stem negative or go flat bar - which I did. Now as I'm a bit older and have some back problems I have added some spacers under the zero rise stem to bring it up, but still use flat bars. Next set of bars I buy will prob be low rise and then I'll swap them about the bikes and see what works best, where.

Don't forget, besides flat bars, they also make zero rise stems, so a combo of zero rise stem and flat bar might do what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by bushido5
    This is the perfect thread for me. I just got my medium Tallboy. With my seat height set I can only get the Easton lo risers that came with it to about seat level or just below. I am looking at ways to get it lower. Maybe a flat bar or a -17 stem. I am very curious to see where this thread goes and maybe learn something as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Do you find your position has changed requiring higher or lower bars compared to a 26?

mtbr member
    I just started riding a large Tallboy, with the fork set at 120mm; it came with a low riser Easton and I feel it a little too high on the front: today I have received an EC70 Easton Flat Wide bar. It should be the right choice for me......

W.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For me, on my new medium Tallboy, I actually use the stock EC70 riser bars, a 80 or 90mm 5deg rise stem, and spacers under the fork. I found that for my riding style, I like to be more upright. When the trail points downward, I like to be a little higher and farther back. On top of that, when I really start railing a twisty trail, I drop the post quite a bit. I guess all those years of hucking and DH racing changed the way I prefer to be positioned.

I won't be racing my bike, except for the occasional race for fun. I am mainly a trail rider and the types of trails we've got near Seattle require a little more rearward bias on the bike. That's just me. YMMV.

jrm
    mtbr member

So far

Quote Originally Posted by italianbike74
    thanks
    My formula has been a easton low rise bar, rise measured from the center of the center of the clamp to the center of the bar end, and thomson 0 degree stems with minimum spacers underneath. I usually have the bar rolled back in the clamp so its level.

Im 5'8.5" tall and use this set up on a 5spot and a HT 29er resulting in a level seat-bar height on the HT or the bars being a tad lower in the case of the 5spot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Curious..

why do you feel that the seat needs to be higher than the bars?

Wayne

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chargerfan32
    why do you feel that the seat needs to be higher than the bars?

Wayne
    I am a Timetrial road racer and very used to a low stretched position. This may change in the future.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a single spacer and inverted Mary bars on my Lynskey Ridgeline. I moved from a medium Sir9 with 8mm fork to a large Lynskey frame with 100mm fork and played around with the bars/stem for a while until I got it dialed in. Overall, the bars are about 2" below seat level and give me the fairly aggressive posture I am looking for. Ultimately, I agree w/ other posters that your own comfort and riding style should dictate.

Its got what plants crave
    I like an upright stance, and I'm using a somewhat short stem with a few degrees of rise, and a low riser bar that's about 27 inches wide. I'm about 6 foot on a large size Kona Hei Hei. It works for me, and I actually like that it doesn't have super fast steering, it's more aggressive and stable and likes to be ridden harder than I really should be riding it. I may try a flat bar or flipping the stem to see if I like it, but I usually don't like low bars.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Members who have read this thread: 0