flat bars- Mtbr.com

Thread: flat bars

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

flat bars

All my buddys are using flat bars on there 9s .why not risers ,do they put you to high?
    trlridr

mtbr member
    Start here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7193301
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=586955

Just finished researching this very question myself. If you still need help, post again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    29er wheels are approximately three inches larger in diameter than standard mountain bike wheels.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Do whatever your buddies do.

mtbr member
    Geometry and the changing visual appeal.

Riser bars were / are more of a visual thing than a fuctional benefit. They are generally heavier than a flat bar. Even though people claimed that you had better leverage with a riser, it just wasn't so.

Big things that have changed the riser thought:
    1. Stems with tall angles are very common and easy to find.
    2. Marathon / 24hr races are popular and require multiple hand placements... something risers are terrible for.
    3. 29er geometry naturally, in sizes under XL, sit a bit more upright.
    4. There is now an abundance of new styles of bars. Mungo, J-Bar, Luv Handles, Space Bar... that make a riser for XC laughable in most cases.

I am a flat bar + barends or J Bar user. Always have been even when people thought barends were dumb in 2002.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just threw low riser(20 mm) on my full susp 29er - also pretty wide 27" and really like the additional width and little bit of height especially when pointed down. I ride pretty technical stuff and it just felt better than the stock flat bar 25" width. Just do what feels best for you and gives you confidence.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    All my buddys are using flat bars on there 9s .why not risers ,do they put you to high?
    Other things being equal, your bars are going to be about 1.5" higher with the bigger wheel. A flat or very low rise bar gets them back where they belong.

jmh

Ahhh the pain....
    flat bar all the way on the 9r.
    if you like the look of a riser, you could flip a high angle stem over, use no spacers, and get it in a reasonable spot... IMHO, i like the look of flat over a riser...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

flat bar

I am running the Ritchey 10 degree no rise bar.
    Because it goes out before it sweeps back I needed a 2cm shorter stem.
    I now have almost 3cm of drop from my saddle to my bars- same as my 26" full sus.
    I had to use the flat bars, no spacers and a -17 degree stem to acheive that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat
    I am running the Ritchey 10 degree no rise bar.
    Because it goes out before it sweeps back I needed a 2cm shorter stem.
    I now have almost 3cm of drop from my saddle to my bars- same as my 26" full sus.
    I had to use the flat bars, no spacers and a -17 degree stem to acheive that.
    How do you like that bar? I was thinking of getting one. I thought the forward bend was supposed to offset the sweep so you did not need to buy a different stem? Perhaps you replaced a bar that had a longer sweep, hence the need for a shorter stem? Just curious.
    On-One ScandAl 29er
    "...Obviously you're not a golfer"

UpSideDownBiker
    I'm also using the Ritchey 10 degree. Puts me right where I need to be height wise but you do need to ride a shorter stem by at least a centimeter or a little more. Syncros also make a 680mm wide flat bar with a 10 degree sweep if you don't want to mess with your stem.
    Ride Faster Because I Can't

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

flat bar

I like the bar a lot. After a couple rides I am on a 1cm shorter stem- not 2 or 3 cm. and stem has -12 (started with -17).
    Bar that I had prior had 9 degrees of sweep but it was only 58cm (new bar is 62).
    Also all of this is going on on a new bike- much fiddling with bar/stem anyway.
    Try it with same stem if you are using a bar with less sweep or using a riser bar- in my experience riser bars tend not too have as much sweep as advertized.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot
    How do you like that bar? I was thinking of getting one. I thought the forward bend was supposed to offset the sweep so you did not need to buy a different stem? Perhaps you replaced a bar that had a longer sweep, hence the need for a shorter stem? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just went throught this very same dilemma. I bought a Ritchey WCS Carbon riser 30mm and sent it back. I exchanged it for a Syntace Duraflite with the 9 degree sweep and I couldn't be happier! Flat bar on a hardtail 29er all day.

Members who have read this thread: 0