Flat bar vs risers...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Flat bar vs risers...

The age old debate in the 26er world... But I'm new to 29ers. So new I haven't bought one yet!

I will be test riding a new 2011 Hei Hei 2-9 before I make my buying decision. I'm pretty sure, based on feedback from friends that a 29er is the way I want to go, but I'm curious about fit/set-up. I know there's a bit of a shift in the racing world with many people moving to risers, but I'm curious to what people are running themselves? I will be XC riding/racing, but in BC/North Shore, so...

I did a search in this forum, and there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to this question, so I hope its okay I started one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The only reason I use one or the other, is based off how much steer tube I have on the fork I am using, and if I can get the bars where I want them. Other than that I have no preference.

Ride More - Suffer Less

ballbuster

Meh....

Quote Originally Posted by Pas de Dopage
    The age old debate in the 26er world... But I'm new to 29ers. So new I haven't bought one yet!

I will be test riding a new 2011 Hei Hei 2-9 before I make my buying decision. I'm pretty sure, based on feedback from friends that a 29er is the way I want to go, but I'm curious about fit/set-up. I know there's a bit of a shift in the racing world with many people moving to risers, but I'm curious to what people are running themselves? I will be XC riding/racing, but in BC/North Shore, so...

I did a search in this forum, and there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to this question, so I hope its okay I started one.
    Well, 29er generally have taller front ends than 26ers, so in theory, flat bars might be more appropriate.

Then again...

flat bars generally have less sweep, and are less wide. I need 7 degrees at least, or my wrists kill me. I also need at least 26" wife, preferably 27". Most flat bars I ever bought over the years were more along the lines of 23"-25".

I ran riser bars with an inverted stem, and that worked well for me for years.

Some of the newer flat bars are sporting more sweep. IIRC, Salsa makes a bar that run 9 degrees.

I say if your bike comes with a bar, run it for a while and see how it goes. Remember you can flip your stem to drop the bar a couple inches.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Well, 29er generally have taller front ends than 26ers, so in theory, flat bars might be more appropriate.

Then again...

flat bars generally have less sweep, and are less wide. I need 7 degrees at least, or my wrists kill me. I also need at least 26" wife, preferably 27". Most flat bars I ever bought over the years were more along the lines of 23"-25".

Some of the newer flat bars are sporting more sweep. IIRC, Salsa makes a bar that run 9 degrees.

I say if your bike comes with a bar, run it for a while and see how it goes. Remember you can flip your stem to drop the bar a couple inches.
    Salsa's got flat bars with 5, 11, or 17 deg sweep and 28" wide and a new 11deg bar that is nearly 31" wide

Now that lower front ends are are the trend for AM and DH bikes there are lots of other wide flat bars showing up with the same sweep as riser bars.

Fat & Single
    Im in the process of swapping out my Easton low rise monkeylites for salsa pro moto carbons , get a look at the salsa website , theres flat bars in any combo you want.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Whatever bar puts your hands in the right position.
    I used to run a Salsa 11* flat bar on all my 29'ers, but the I got a Singular which has a higher front end. It took me a little while, but I became much more comfortable with the higher bar, so I flipped my stem (to a rise) and put a riser bar on my Karate Monkey.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Ride whatever works for you... I'm with CB2.

Personally, I don't like risers. I'd just get the proper stem and run a flat bar. That's me and I currently ride one bike with a custom bend Ti Seven flat bar and the other with a Ti Groovy Luv Handle so you might want to stay very far away from my opinion.

mtbr member
    To the OP, as said, use what you need to get the bars to the height you need, that's it. For me that generally means a flat bar since I like about 1-2" drop between saddle and bar height.

You need to get out and about a bit more PB, there's loads fo flat bars now that easily run 27" wide with 6-11 degree sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot

Then again...

Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Members who have read this thread: 0