Flat bar or riser?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wink Flat bar or riser?

Into my first 29'r build & I see mostly flat, wide bars & stubby stems. Is there an advantage for flat bar use over riser's on a 29'r, or does the taller headtube eliminate the need for riser bars? or, just personal preference?
    Yes, I did a search first but I'm too lazy to pick through every thead.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    personal preference
    it doesnt matter how your hands and arms get into the right position.
    when fitting a bike I like to start with the seating, once that is dialed in you can decide what you want to do for hand position.. Many racer types like to be low , DH and free ride types prefer a more upright position

mtbr member
    Whichever gets your bars at the right height to achieve correct fit.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same position. I was thinking of opting for a "low rise" bar, to get some benefit from either decision. Definitely thinking I'll got 27-30" wide on the bars though.

Carbon & Ti rule
    If you are short you may need to get flat bars to get them low enough for your liking but for taller people its more about what bars you like.

I'm 6 foot ride a Lge bike & like bars with 20mm rise 5 deg up sweep & 9 deg back sweep.

It seams the wider people like there bars the more back sweep people go for.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Leave plenty of room for your fork's steerer tube and you can run whichever you want by mixing and matching stem / bar. On one of my 29ers, I run flat bar w/ minimal rise stem. On the other, I run a riser bar. But both get to the same seat to bar height (I run mine about even).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

bars

traditionally, flat bars have had less sweep back and are more narrow than riser bars. some newer flats have adopted a sweep that is similar to a riser (9 degree is normal). Easton has a "XC Wide" in a couple of varieties as well as other manufacturers. these are tending to be around 27 or 28 ins. wide as well,

the head tube on the typical 29r tends to be taller than the 26" models. hence less room for the rise and also the up sweep that a riser bar has. this being one reason more 29r bikes have flats.

I just went to a Ritchey Flat 10D bar on my hard tail 29r to get a more aggressive and stretched out position. this bar has a nudge forward just past the clamp area followed by a wide and well swept profile. like it quite a bit. great to open up the chest and mash the climbs.

trail rat
    Think of fit as the relationship of your feet (cranks) to your butt (saddle) to your hands (bars/stem). Use whatever you need to get those three points of contact in the correct relationship to each other.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Members who have read this thread: 0