Fixed gear 29er riders, what BB height on your rig?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Fixed gear 29er riders, what BB height on your rig?

hey there.

i am thinking about having a custom frame built. i ran 32x20 on a ss and i just started riding fixed at 34x18 with a shimano dx cog drilled out and bolted to my disc brake hub.

anyways, i just wanted to see what kind of bb heights/crankarm lengths you guys have on your bikes.

my current ride has a bb height of 12" and i am running 175mm cranks. i just rodred 170mm cranks and i think i want to raise the bb on a custom frame to about 12.25 or 12.5". i am pretty tall, about 6'2" and i don't thnk i want to run anything shoter than 170mm.

also, did you guys make any other tweaks in the switch from ss to fixed....maybe tweak the st angle to accomodate for shorter crankarms.

my current bike has a 73* st and that seems pretty comfortable.

again, i just started riding fixed and i am have so much fun. i have limited experiance riding fixed, but i know i am going to stick with it. i was just curious on how other fixed 29er are built.

lastly, i ride in so cal. mostlly longer fireroad climbs. but, i ride some stuff that has short steep climbing switchbacks. i haven't had a tough time with clipping my pedals here or there. but, then again, i am riding at a place i ride at 2-3 times per week, so i know every knook and cranny in the place.

TIA!!!

Needed Less ~ Did More
    I have run 3 different frames as fixies off-road. My MC and current Solitude 29er have 12" bottom bracket heights, my 26" Solitude had a 11.3" BB and I did not notice any real problems with pedal strikes. I ride a real mix of trails and find that small tree stumps are the worst

I am running 170mm cranks with a 34" inseam and 6'2" build and find them just fine. I have used 165mm and not really noticed a difference. Pedal strikes will be a factor no matter what BB / crank / frame combo you run.

For some more really good info have a look at www.63xc.com and Matt Chesters 2-part "how to" guide....wise words*

Alex

*its all his fault

Quote Originally Posted by 1speed1der
    hey there.

i am thinking about having a custom frame built. i ran 32x20 on a ss and i just started riding fixed at 34x18 with a shimano dx cog drilled out and bolted to my disc brake hub.

anyways, i just wanted to see what kind of bb heights/crankarm lengths you guys have on your bikes.

my current ride has a bb height of 12" and i am running 175mm cranks. i just rodred 170mm cranks and i think i want to raise the bb on a custom frame to about 12.25 or 12.5". i am pretty tall, about 6'2" and i don't thnk i want to run anything shoter than 170mm.

also, did you guys make any other tweaks in the switch from ss to fixed....maybe tweak the st angle to accomodate for shorter crankarms.

my current bike has a 73* st and that seems pretty comfortable.

again, i just started riding fixed and i am have so much fun. i have limited experiance riding fixed, but i know i am going to stick with it. i was just curious on how other fixed 29er are built.

lastly, i ride in so cal. mostlly longer fireroad climbs. but, i ride some stuff that has short steep climbing switchbacks. i haven't had a tough time with clipping my pedals here or there. but, then again, i am riding at a place i ride at 2-3 times per week, so i know every knook and cranny in the place.

TIA!!!
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

Who turned out the lights
    I run a 12" and a 12.25" depending on the bike, with 175's, 32" inseam, 6'0".

You're going to bang pedals regardless. It comes with the territory. I like those bb heights (for me) and I simply refuse to change cranks (I go from geared to ss to fixed depending on mood), so I ride my standard XT cranks. I don't have much trouble with pedal strikes, but you'll bang 'em on a rock now and then.

Really I am that slow

On my kona....

12 3/4"
    170mm cranks

I have run bb's as low as 11" I really like 12-12 3/4 I wouldn't go much higher
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    12.5" bb with 170mm cranks: no problem at all.

Members who have read this thread: 0