Fixed gear 29er- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fixed gear 29er

Jun 2008

Fixed gear 29er

has anyone here ever tried a fixed gear 29er?
    Ive seen so many single speed 29ers that this seems a somewhat logical progression.

any ideas on this?

Really I am that slow

yup...

only about 11,000 miles this year.... about 7k on my Vassago Jabberwonky

Check out http://tomicog.blogspot.com/
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Stayin' Puft
    I don't know that "logical" is a good word to refer to fixie riding, but for snow conditions I only ride fixed. I could not imagine using pincher brakes in snow. Esp. with the 8 degree conditions today, a freewheel bike would have been sketchy.

mtbr member
    i just started riding fixed off road. its fun on tech trails.

Slummin'
    Sep 2007
    Thanks to a Tomi Cog I've been running my Redline Monocog fixed off and on for almost a year. It's a very very fun thing to do but there is a bit of a learning curve. Tomi and Fixy Dave are for sure the masters.

Give the Tomi cog a try. It's easily the cheapest way to try fixie riding.

mtbr member
    I'll let you know later this week

I wouldn't say it sounds logical either; its just sounds like a fun/tough challenge, and I'm down for that.

mtbr member
    I bought a tomi cog for my dambala last spring (I think it was the first party I had for it!)

I really wanted to be a hard core 29er fixed gear rider.. It didn't really pan out, (I find) riding fixed off road is a little terrifying. I'll try again next year. It's been great right now though, since I've turned my dambala into a fixed gear snow commuter with a 44x20 gearing.
    Last edited by bobbotron; 12-15-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Who turned out the lights
    Fixed off-road is a good time. I rode fixed full time for a couple of years and then decided to try gears out again for a while to see if I missed them (turns out I didn't). Now my Badger is single/rigid and my Monocog is fixed. I'm building a geared bike, but it's really only b/c I got a free frame and I have the spare parts.

Haven't done the fixed in snow thing yet, but we don't get consistent snow here in KC. I usually just air down the gearie for snow riding.

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat
    I don't know that "logical" is a good word to refer to fixie riding
    Nor "progression"!
    pete

Dr Gadget is IN
    Been a MtFxer on a 29er for a couple years now. Karate Monkey.

I was never attracted to SS, but enjoy fixed. Silly me.

Next spring, I will be rockin' one of the Sturmey Archer S3X internal 3spd fixed gear hubs - once they become available. This just points out the difference I see between fixed/no coast and one gear vs many.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    I'm running my former 1x9, then SS, then fixed commuter, now fixie mtb Karate Monkey.

I have a Boone cog drilled with out for a disc brake rotor mount. I reversed the rear while and do not run a rear brake obviously.

I run a pretty tough gear to get a lot of momentum for climbs.

I've tackled the local regular ride which has some technical challenges. The more epic ride areas with bigger climbs have seriously taxed my fitness, but that's part of the fun.

I'm still working on log crossing, ledges and the like. The big wheels really help you roll over things easier. I run 165mm crankarms which also help clear obstacles.

If riding a SS is a full body workout, riding a fixie off-road is a Navy Seal workout. I've been riding fixie for several years, so the learning curve was not too steep.

Have fun and laugh when everyone calls you nuts!

Here's a pic from the commuter set-up with rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

trail rat
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Jun 2008
    do you need a single speed rear hub for the tomicog?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Iwas going to ride my Soma Juice fixed this past weekend, but I didn't have another 1/8th" chain so I rode this offroad instead. Amazing how capable a 30 year old touring bike can be!

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I ride fixed on the road year around but only tend to ride fixed off-road in the fall when im beat down and board.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by EHCRain
    do you need a single speed rear hub for the tomicog?
    Not needed, since the TomiCog bolts in place of the 6 bolt iso disc brake rotor. I do use a SS hub since I like the dishless wheel better.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Fixed is fun on leafy trails. We have a lot of pinestraw all year, so skidding is OK in some area.It is also really good for sand, because you generate momentum better. I am hoping to get a fixed/disk hub from Santa so I can build a wheel that would allow a rear brake.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Iwas going to ride my Soma Juice fixed this past weekend, but I didn't have another 1/8th" chain so I rode this offroad instead. Amazing how capable a 30 year old touring bike can be!
    Sweet rig. It's not the bike, it's the rider.

Jun 2008
    What about the chainline when using a geared hub? would that not be straight enough for fixie use?

mtbr member
    I'm eyeing down a Gt peace 29er ss what do you all think? I got a sette reken basically built from the ground up 26" wheels but I want to try the 29er thing along with a ss. I'm contemplating both in the same rig...
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EHCRain
    What about the chainline when using a geared hub? would that not be straight enough for fixie use?
    The position of the disc mount relative to the frame is a standard that is basically followed by all manufacturers on all models of disc hubs, so the chainline will be nearly identical whether the hub is a 9spd freehub, SS freehub or SS freewheel because the disc mounts are on the other side of the hub and are an independent standard.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2

that's a sweet rig, my first road bike was a lugged Trek, a 660?, now all they seem to sell is made from Alu or plastique.

Those were sweet riding bikes.

edit to add: to the OP, since it seams 'logical' to you, you'll probably enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I got a boone ti fixed cog for my single speed a few years ago (when those were the only available disc cogs) and loved it right away. I have been riding fixed offroad exclusively for the past the year and a half on a monstercross bike with 44c tires and am in the process of building up a fixed 29er too. It is a pretty painless process to try fixed. The tomicogs are great and you can always set up your bike single speed/fixed gear with a rear rim brake. And not only are they fun offroad but they also make the best winter commuter around.
    check out my new offroad fixed gear site, tell me your thoughts: www.muddyfixedgear.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I got a boone ti fixed cog for my single speed a few years ago (when those were the only available disc cogs) and loved it right away. I have been riding fixed offroad exclusively for the past the year and a half on a monstercross bike with 44c tires and am in the process of building up a fixed 29er too. It is a pretty painless process to try fixed. The tomicogs are great and you can always set up your bike single speed/fixed gear with a rear rim brake (if your frame is rim brake compatible). And not only are they fun offroad but they also make the best winter commuter around.
    check out my new offroad fixed gear site, tell me your thoughts: www.muddyfixedgear.com

Members who have read this thread: 1