Fisher X-Caliber '03, a good deal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Fisher X-Caliber '03, a good deal?

I'm a long-time lurker looking to start mountain-biking after 5 years as a roadie. My only experience with mountain bikes was an '01 Specialized Rockhopper that I could never get dialed in. I've been reading this board for a few months, and at nearly 6'2" with a 32" pants inseam, I think a 29er is the way to go. However, I'm a bit hesitant to drop $1150+ for an '05 Fisher X-Caliber, or to save even more for a steel hardtail by Surly or one of the other excellent builders who post on this board. Anyway, I'm the high bidder on an '03 X-Caliber stock (spec below) that didn't meet the reserve, but I've been given a second chance to buy the bike for $490+shipping. My thinking is that I can buy this now, and if I become a true 29er mountain bike convert I can always sell it and only be out a few hundred max, then buy my dream ride. I've read the comments on the fork, I know about the low bottom bracket, but keeping that and other factors in mind, is this a good enough deal to spring for? I have 24 hours to decide. Be riding next week or save for the next 6 months for a new X-Caliber or 10 months for a Waltworks or other. The specs follow, thanks for your input. I'll be riding mostly in Tucson, dry desert stuff.

http://fisherbikes.com/archive/full_...r_29&year=2003

giddy up!
    Buy it, no question. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment. If you hate it you can sell it for the same price in the mtbr classifieds.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Buy it, no question. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment. If you hate it you can sell it for the same price in the mtbr classifieds.

B
    Agreed, buy buy buy! It's a good deal. Besides, you're getting into prime riding season in Tucson and if you wait for a new bike it'll be getting hot out. That bike would be perfect for doing the AZ Trail through Kentucky Camp!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey

B
    Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely leaning that way. Just wish it wasn't red and white!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salkowskim
    Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely leaning that way. Just wish it wasn't red and white!
    I got my old Titus powdercoated by a shop there in Tucson (Perfection Powdercoating) for $75/color. I got two colors (red and white...ahem) plus a clearcoat, but you could just get one color if you hate the current colors. Or you could do the old $4 Krylon rattlecan job. There's something very satisfying in a $4 DIY paintjob.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I got my old Titus powdercoated by a shop there in Tucson (Perfection Powdercoating) for $75/color. I got two colors (red and white...ahem) plus a clearcoat, but you could just get one color if you hate the current colors. Or you could do the old $4 Krylon rattlecan job. There's something very satisfying in a $4 DIY paintjob.
    Did you say red...and white? D'oh!!! Three posts and I'm already putting my foot in my mouth. I just dig the black on the '05 is all. Thanks for the tip on Perfection Powdercoat, I'll probably scratch it up a bit first and then decide (I am quite the beginner in the dirt). You're right about prime ride time down here, it will be 80 degrees tomorrow (sorry Walt and company). Any naysayers before I plunk down for it?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salkowskim
    Did you say red...and white? D'oh!!! Three posts and I'm already putting my foot in my mouth.
    Ehhhh don't worry about it. I sold that bike anyway. I bet you stop noticing the colors within a few months, and a solid black color would be cheap and easy to do with a spray can. That 29"er would be great for 50 Year Trail too!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I like the old geometry...

And I would pay more to get the low BB...so from my perspective I don't see how you can lose.You can learn what you like and don't like from it and then sell it and move on or get a custom,or be like like me and decide that I really can't fault the Fisher.

Dan Cas
    no signature

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Thanks for the help,

I just paid the man. I'll post a pic when it arrives. Soon I'll be off to Fantasy Island (close), the Arizona Trail (good suggestion), and Yetman (my old nemesis and the reason I sold the Specialized a few years back! Thanks again for the advice, this is a great board.