Fisher Rig to Karate Monkey...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fisher Rig to Karate Monkey...

Discuss.

2009 Rig owner thinking of switching to Karate Monkey. The Rig is a 19" frame and fits well. I would look to the 18" Karate Monkey. the KM seems to be a durable frame...and I'm just a little nervous about teh durability of the Rig. I weigh 200 w/gear. Riding rooty, rocky, and fireroad.

Anyone else make the switch? Likes/dislikes? Compare/Contrast?

I can't find a Karate Monkey locally to try out, so I'd like some input BEYOND the obvious traits of increased weight, higher standover, etc.

Thanks.

AZ
    banned
    Compare the effective top tube lengths , thats where the biggest difference might be .

mtbr member
    Are you the original owner of that Rig? If so, why worry. If not, I understand your concern.

Friend of mine switched from a Salsa DosNiner to a KM about two years ago and he loves it. He is a bit on the heavier side (I'd say 220-230), rides all the tough/rough trails, and not a single issue with the frame.
    Signature

AZ
    banned
    I'm 240 lbs. and ride a Rig , more accurately I beat on it , 0 issues .

mtbr member
    Yep...original owner.

I ride about 6-7,000 miles a year and am being paranoid.

I went to aluminum because it doesn't corrode like steel. Now I'm thinking of going back to steel becuase it is more durable.

I'm nuts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb
    Yep...original owner.

I ride about 6-7,000 miles a year and am being paranoid.

I went to aluminum because it doesn't corrode like steel. Now I'm thinking of going back to steel becuase it is more durable.

I'm nuts!
    If you put those kind of miles on the bike then you must like the bike. I'd ride that thing into the ground and not worry about the frame...afterall it does have a lifetime warranty.
    Signature

never ender
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb
    Discuss.

2009 Rig owner thinking of switching to Karate Monkey. The Rig is a 19" frame and fits well. I would look to the 18" Karate Monkey. the KM seems to be a durable frame...and I'm just a little nervous about teh durability of the Rig. I weigh 200 w/gear. Riding rooty, rocky, and fireroad.

Anyone else make the switch? Likes/dislikes? Compare/Contrast?

I can't find a Karate Monkey locally to try out, so I'd like some input BEYOND the obvious traits of increased weight, higher standover, etc.

Thanks.
    What exactly are you worried about? Far as I know, most of the issues Fisher was having with the Rig were sorted out by the 09 model year. If it was my ride I'd stick with the Rig.

If you're serious about making the switch, be aware that Karate Monkeys have more 'traditional' 29er geometry, meaning a steeper head angle and slightly lower BB than your Rig. As a result the KM will be a little wobbly at speed compared to the Rig, but depending on how you set it up it might be slightly better in the tight stuff.

I think you might actually be better off with a 20" Monkey...I rode a 19" Rig (2007, so before the G2 front end) for awhile, and as I remember the 20" KM size is actually a little closer than the 18. Also, the consensus on this board seems to be not to use a G2 fork on a frame like the KM, so if you're thinking about just switching parts over from the Rig, you might want to get a new fork. If that's not an option and you're really serious about changing frames, look at the Vassago Jabberwocky.

mtbr member
    I have in a different country (I am in the US), a Rig 19" and KM 20". If you go KM, you should go 20" as fat_weasel pointed out. The 18" will be too small for you.

mtbr member

Good info

Quote Originally Posted by fat_weasel
    What exactly are you worried about? Far as I know, most of the issues Fisher was having with the Rig were sorted out by the 09 model year. If it was my ride I'd stick with the Rig.

If you're serious about making the switch, be aware that Karate Monkeys have more 'traditional' 29er geometry, meaning a steeper head angle and slightly lower BB than your Rig. As a result the KM will be a little wobbly at speed compared to the Rig, but depending on how you set it up it might be slightly better in the tight stuff.

I think you might actually be better off with a 20" Monkey...I rode a 19" Rig (2007, so before the G2 front end) for awhile, and as I remember the 20" KM size is actually a little closer than the 18. Also, the consensus on this board seems to be not to use a G2 fork on a frame like the KM, so if you're thinking about just switching parts over from the Rig, you might want to get a new fork. If that's not an option and you're really serious about changing frames, look at the Vassago Jabberwocky.
    Thanks for the input. I would actually be using the G2 fork, so that may prove a deal breaker there.

I guess I am just looking for compelling arguments either way. I think you;ve made one for the Rig. The Rig fits very well, and the 20" KM would be too tall for me. Anyhow, I think the main reason I waas looking at the KM was that I was trying to avoid the "high" potential for frame failure...by going with the beefy 4130 frame I think I wouldn't worry so much about how/where I ride. BUT...it seems like there are a lot of folks that beat the crap out of their fisher bikes and have no issues. I want to be one of them.

And yes, the lifetime warranty is sweet just in case.

Don't want to go Vassago especially...I bought one of their forks and it is warped/twisted from the factory. They would not replace under warranty. Ah well. But the frames do look nice.

Apr 2007
    Yeah, I'd stick with your Fisher. Only thing I don't like about the Rig is the EBB (wish they would have gone with sliding dropouts like the Superfly), but if you don't have a problem with it, then no sense in tossing a good frame.

is buachail foighneach me
    I owned an '07 rig in 19.5"(I think there was a .5 in there in '07), and a 20" Karate Monkey. When I moved, I sold the Rig, since the KM was more versatile with regards to tire size and brake choice, and because at that point, I would be able to get more $$ for the Rig. Handling wise, I liked the Rig a lot better. The KM handles well enough, but the Rig was a champ. I'm still riding the KM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The Karate Monkey is a downgrade. You'd have to add a suspension fork to the Monkey to get something equivalent. If you're looking for the feel on a rigid steel bike and have the skills to forgo suspension altogether, then the Monkey or a Redline Monogog 29er are good choices. Keep in mind that the Monkey has a short term frame warranty of a couple of years while the Rig and Redlines have lifetime frame warranties to the original owner.

mtbr member
    Seems like none of the Fishers failed catastrophically. All the pictures I've seen and my broken fisher frame have been at the st/tt junction. I rode mine with a cracked junction for several rides until I figured out where the noise was coming from. With little or no physical danger I would say ride the Rig until it dies. If it should break you can always pick up a Monkey frame and ebay the new warrany frame. That would keep you riding and you'll get more for a new unused frame. Can't really go wrong either way though. I loved my XCal, love my Ferrous and love my Monkey.

Members who have read this thread: 0