first 69-er ride this weekend - it SUCKED- Mtbr.com
    bike tester

first 69-er ride this weekend - it SUCKED

Yesterday i busted my rear hub (allegedly "nuke proof" lol) 10 miles into an epic group ride... i didn't want to miss the trip, so i managed to go back down to base camp eventually, and borrowed a friend's spare rear wheel (kiddie size unfortunately).

Short version, the whole thing sucked donkey balls. Still, better than sitting on my ass all day manning the grill and waiting for the rest of the guys to come back.

Long version, maybe after i get some sleep... 150 offroad miles in 2 days with 4000 ft of climbing every day have sure taken their toll.

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    you're geometry was probably way off, so that's probably why it sucked so bad.

bike tester
    i tried to compensate some by adjusting the ebb, but anyway it wasn't the geometry that bothered me, it was the traction and the gearing change. also, the way the back wheel changed course intead of rolling over some obstacles i would never even notice before. i had to radically alter my noticing threshold to include rocks so small i previously ignored / dismissed as pebbles.
    Last edited by syl3; 09-06-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the fact that you own a nukeproof rear hub sorta detracts from your credibility.

just sayin'.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

rider
    I built a dedicated 69er on the cheap (69er frame) just to test it out. I've only been out on it on one 2 hour ride... didn't like it at all. Maybe I could get used to it on a few more rides but I hated it initially and missed having 29" on both ends. It'll probably be hanging on the wall for a while with a loaner sign on it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    the fact that you own a nukeproof rear hub sorta detracts from your credibility.

just sayin'.
    The bigger question is how is that hub still working, didn't they go out of business over 10 years ago?

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I put a 29 wheel in my 26 front and choppered it way too much. Not nice.

Front Range Cyclist
    I've been riding a Carver 69er for two months now. I missed the way a 26 wheel is agile vs a 29er in the rear. Have to say I think my days of riding a full 29er are gone after riding this puppy on some of the singletrack out here in Colorado....and I've been die hard 29er for 3 years+ until now. I had a set of EDGE Carbon 29er wheels built up that weighed in at 1490 grams. 23lb rig.

For me, while I loved my full 29er for many things it simply didn't have what I wanted for technical riding. After two trips to Fruita and riding some of the new technical stuff here I just had it with the big rear wheel. And once I got some miles on my Carver, I realized i had to stay with a 69er.

I think now that Trek is out of the 69er game (much to the sadness of Travis Brown I hear who still rides one as his personal bike when not on "work" trips). Moots is offering 3 (Hardtail, YBB, FS) and it's the favorite bike of one of their top sales guys. Ventanna is offering one and it's the personal ride of Sherwood Gibson (Who's been building bikes since the 70s). I think the problem you had is no amount of dinking around with the EBB or what have you will change the fact you threw a 26" rear wheel in a 29er frame. And from reading your complaints, that is where the problems are coming from.

Note-I think when trying ANY bike platform that's not your normal ride you need to give it some time in the saddle to adjust. Can be said for FS bikes, 29ers, etc... Doesn't mean you'll like it better then, just that's the time you need to try it. I also think it depends on your terrain. I can think of many locals I'd want a 29er only. Others a nice 5" travel 26". Heck for some a good Monstercross 1x9 would be fine by me. Currently for the riding I do, a 69er is best.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

nathan bay
    Apr 2007

Just curious.....

How would adjusting the ebb help compensate?

bike tester
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan bay
    How would adjusting the ebb help compensate?
    it was previously at 5 o clock, moved it to around 10, mainly to raise back the cranks to avoid pedal strikes. i also wanted shorter chainstays for the smaller wheel... it's not much, i know.

however, i must say the small wheel performed a lot better than expected. it's just that it detracts from the big picture of an awesome trip when i think how much better it would have been with the original in place.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo
    Moots is offering 3 (Hardtail, YBB, FS) and it's the favorite bike of one of their top sales guys. Ventanna is offering one and it's the personal ride of Sherwood Gibson (Who's been building bikes since the 70s)...
    Add Siren Bikes to your list... they're offering 2 69/96 models I believe. http://www.sirenbicycles.com/softail.html
    (fifty-five and Song 55)

I've gone through a couple of XC frames in the last few years (Intense Spider, SC Superlight)... I got on a Trek TF 69er in the early summer of 2008... as of this post, I have no plans of changing again in the foreseeable future... I'm really liking the 69er.

To each his own though... I won't try to evangelize to anyone about it, other than saying that I (that's a capital "I") am really liking it and think it's the best of both worlds (i.e. combining handling, light weight, speed, "rollability", gearing, stability, etc). That said, I don't object to anyone liking a full 29er better, and would love to spend more time on one for comparison... so far I've only done short trail test rides. Horses for courses, but IMHO the 69er offers something for every type of trail... that I ride .
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Not surprising as the very idea defines FAIL.
    Professional Amateur

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    This thread has evidently been infiltrated by 8th graders... I'm out (unsubscribing). No need to waste any more time with this one.
    I read that on the internet.

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3
    Yesterday i busted my rear hub (allegedly "nuke proof" lol) 10 miles into an epic group ride... i didn't want to miss the trip, so i managed to go back down to base camp eventually, and borrowed a friend's spare rear wheel (kiddie size unfortunately).

Short version, the whole thing sucked donkey balls. Still, better than sitting on my ass all day manning the grill and waiting for the rest of the guys to come back.

Long version, maybe after i get some sleep... 150 offroad miles in 2 days with 4000 ft of climbing every day have sure taken their toll.
    Nukeproof are embarrassingly bad.

Don't accept repair, return it, I blew 3 in three months.
    Awful awful company and products, weaker than decades old shimano....actually weaker than anything i have ever ridden.

What failed on it?

Let me guess, ratchets disintergrated jamming or tearing up the hub?

You phoned Nukeproof,

"what one of our hubs fair, we have NEVER had that before, you are the first, will send replacment"

You get new hub thinking unlucky me, first one I must be tough.
    until it breaks a week later, and aparently you are still the first one ever to be broken even though you broke one the week before!

arrgh hate that company.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3
    ... "nuke proof" ... sucked donkey balls. ...

ROFLMAO!

I HAD a pair of supposedly Nuke Proof hubs. BOTH of them exploded - flange ripped off the front - freehub broke off the rear body. They wouldn't back it up so I wrote them and called them and to this day, and my shop buddies will quote me, I use the exact phrase "Nuke Proof sucks donkey balls." I will speak poorly of them at every opportunity.

-F

Singlespeeds are so 2004
    Dec 2006
    I'm running a 29er front wheel in a White brothers 445mm forks on my IF it's awesome, it's like cheating. I've run 29ers before but didn't get on with the extra length of the bike or the lack of acceleration and altered gearing.

60er seems to offer the best of both worlds for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0