First 29er, First Post, First Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

First 29er, First Post, First Question

Hey guys, just wanted to intro myself real quick. I've been riding on and off since I was a kid, grew up on a Raleigh, graduated to a Diamondback rigid which I ended up throwing a RS Judy on. Stopped riding regularly when I got my driver's license. A few weeks ago I acquired a '98 Schwinn S-Carbon FS in decent shape, but with a small crack on the swing arm. Rode 15 miles, watched the crack grow considerably. Decided that between the bike being entirely too small for me (I'm 6'5" 280lbs), the crack, and the aging tech of the bike, I'd go out and get something new. Tried out the Raleigh Talus 29 Sport, good size, but something felt off about it. Same with the Diamondback Overdrive 29. Stopped by a LBS near work on Monday to ride a Fuji. A half hour later I walked out with a spanky new Fuji Nevada 29er 1.0. I'm in love.

I know this post is filled with incomplete thoughts and run on sentences, but I'm bored at work and figured I'd ramble something out to the masses.

Quick Question - My knowledge is limited in this area (I'm an auto mechanic by trade). Are there any good online resources for terminology/maintenance/repair guides?

Thanks in advance guys! Can't wait to get back into the sport/hobby/obsession!

Here's a pic of the bike if you're interested, can't post the link because of my <10 post count... but just copy and paste in your browser bar and remove the spaces

http : // img830 . imageshack .us/img830/3862/imag0127h. jpg

Black Sheep rising
    Nice looking bike

Good place to start: Park Tool website

Oh, and allow me to be the first to point and laugh at the n00b!
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Jacob 34:19

Zinn's got the word

http://www.zinncycles.com/book_and_dvd.php

Nice bike and welcome to the forums.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is not a direct answer to your question (as you were looking for "on-line" resources), but don't forget one of the best and most obvious places for info, your local shop where you got the bike! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo View Post
    Oh, and allow me to be the first to point and laugh at the n00b!

Thanks for the info, and for posting the pic up for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEtheDOG View Post
    Nice bike and welcome to the forums.
    Thanks!

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkXcore View Post

Thanks for the info, and for posting the pic up for me.

Thanks!
    He was poking fun at the reflectors. Most folks take them off because they break on the trail and leave litter. If you commute on the bike, they may serve some good (though lights will be better).
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    He was poking fun at the reflectors. Most folks take them off because they break on the trail and leave litter. If you commute on the bike, they may serve some good (though lights will be better).
    Actually, I was poking fun at the concept. But yeah, the reflectors have got to go!
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo View Post
    Actually, I was poking fun at the concept. But yeah, the reflectors have got to go!
    I know lol... That pic was taken an hour after I bought the bike, I was in a rush to hit the trails. I pulled off the spoke reflectors already, not sure if I'm going to take the front and rear off or not.... or at least wait till I grab some LED lights.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was actually looking for the same bike myself. I went to my local Performance Bike store yesterday and they had sold out of them, and they were on backorder. I ended up walking out with the 2010 Access XCL 9.5 29er. The salesman who helped me assured me I won't be stuck with the Access if I changed my mind so long as the bike has no signs of wear and tear. I may still swing by and see if just by chance they got some in a shipment this week, but I'll probably stick with the Access. Congrats on the bike. I'm mildly jealous, lol.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Shocks! Reflectors! I bet you can take it off some sweet jumps

Razzing complete...

Welcome to the 29er family

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by echoone View Post
    I was actually looking for the same bike myself. I went to my local Performance Bike store yesterday and they had sold out of them, and they were on backorder. I ended up walking out with the 2010 Access XCL 9.5 29er. The salesman who helped me assured me I won't be stuck with the Access if I changed my mind so long as the bike has no signs of wear and tear. I may still swing by and see if just by chance they got some in a shipment this week, but I'll probably stick with the Access. Congrats on the bike. I'm mildly jealous, lol.
    Hey no reason to be jealous... That Access has a better spec sheet anyway!

I'm still happy with my purchase

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I felt the fork was an upgrade, but not huge. I got the bike for $585 and $58 in store credit so I feel like I got a good deal. I'd still like to test ride the Fuji just to close the door on that option. It was the bike I had my mind set on buying that day. I guess I don't want to feel like I settled. I can't wait to get an opportunity to ride though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    From what I understand the Rock Shox is better if for nothing else than replacement parts availability. Also, the Tektro brakes on the Fuji are hard to find parts for, at least online.

The Fuji has a fantastic feel to it though.

What area are you from?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm from Columbus, OH

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well, 7 days and 20 something miles since I bought my bike. I'm starting to think it may be a bit small for me. I am hoping though, that I can just make some tweaks to the cockpit to fit a little better. Extension while pedaling feels fine, I'm maybe 1" worth of seat height from having locked knees. While in this position, reach feels fine, although my hands start to hurt after a bit, which I could attribute to riding without gloves. Cranks horizontal, my knee directly intersects the pedal axle.

Now, here's the problem... I seem to be subconciously pushing myself further back on the saddle after just a few minutes of riding. It feels like my natural place to be on the bike should be with my ass further over the rear axle. Should I fiddle around with offset seat posts? I don't think a longer stem will fix anything, because I feel like I should be further back, not more stretched out. Or, should I look into getting a large frame instead of a medium? The LBS says I can return the bike for store credit, BUT, it seems Fuji is not putting out any more large frame Nevada 29er's till the 2012 model year (general opinion is August.)

Thoughts?

TIA

mtbr member
    At 6' 5" I would say a large would have been the better choice for sure. That said a setback post and longer stem will get you a lot more room. However just do one of them at a time see how if feels then if it still isn't good move on to the next item. I would start with the setback seat post.

Honestly the LBS shouldn't have sold you a medium at your height. Sounds like they just sold what they had in stock...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    At 6' 5" I would say a large would have been the better choice for sure. That said a setback post and longer stem will get you a lot more room. However just do one of them at a time see how if feels then if it still isn't good move on to the next item. I would start with the setback seat post.

Honestly the LBS shouldn't have sold you a medium at your height. Sounds like they just sold what they had in stock...
    I forgot to mention I'm all torso... 32" inseam. On the medium (19") frame, my balls rest on the top tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Will a 29er be alright for riding mostly woods?

It seems that one concern of 29'ers is that they aren't as nimble in some situations. Where I ride is mostly singletrack through trees with turns but a lot of climbs as well. I'm about 6' 2" 216 lbs. I like the idea of the bike on the road as well since I do a lot of road riding. I don't really have the option to ride one out on the trails to demo it. Anyone have thoughts on the handling with a lot of turns involved?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    *sorry to be hijacking your thread OP but I'm restricted as a n00b.

The Duuude, man...
    Hawk - the bike is wildly too small for you. Don't spend any money upgrading it, not worth it. If you're serious about mtbing, just save now for a better bike. You need at least a XXL. 6-5 is tall.

Michmtbiker - It's a total myth from 2002 that 29er's don't handle well in the tight stuff. Zero truth to that. That's also a 10yr beat to death topic.

Just friendly noobie-FYI stuff.
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am glad to hear it's not a concern. No noob offense taken, thanks for answering that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkXcore View Post
    I forgot to mention I'm all torso... 32" inseam. On the medium (19") frame, my balls rest on the top tube.
    Well then you may just want to try the setback seatpost and longer stem. This is where bike "fit" is so important you really need something with a much longer top tube like a Gary Fisher type bike. But it can be helped with the above mentioned changes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well, I've got some good news. Stopped by the LBS on the way home from work last night. He wants me to be a happy customer (one of my friends refered me to him, who just bought a bike, and I've already sent two more customers to him). He ordered in a 21" Jamis Exile 1 29er for me. Says if I bring the Fuji back to him in the same condition it left in, he'll give me what I paid for it. Also, he says he'll work with me on the price of the Jamis, to get me to the point where I should only end up putting out <$100 more for it. Only drawback is the Jamis is 3 weeks out, so I'm without a bike until then.

TLDR - LBS exchanging my 19" Fuji for a 21" Jamis. A++ LBS.