Finally here!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Finally here!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Finally here!

I finally did it, and bought myself a 29er today - my first one. It is a Gary Fisher x-caliber. After a few Treks (which I loved) and then a Cube, which never quite clicked after 2 years, I decided it was time for a new bike. I was almost set on either the HKEK or Trek 6500, then the shop asked if I had considered a 29er. I had read all the reviews and write-ups and it sounded mighty interesting, so when he asked if I wanted to try one - well why not, what I have got to lose? The answer there was a few extra dollars, but I was convinced within minutes of trying the bike. I never expected there to be that much of a difference, so I bought it there and then, and started thinking up good excuses to tell the wife. So I pick it up tonight, and luckily have the week off, so some riding tomorrow in the Norwegian rain. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    congratulations, enjoy it. It's a change i haven't regretted yet.

ballbuster

Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasEds
    I finally did it, and bought myself a 29er today - my first one. It is a Gary Fisher x-caliber. After a few Treks (which I loved) and then a Cube, which never quite clicked after 2 years, I decided it was time for a new bike. I was almost set on either the HKEK or Trek 6500, then the shop asked if I had considered a 29er. I had read all the reviews and write-ups and it sounded mighty interesting, so when he asked if I wanted to try one - well why not, what I have got to lose? The answer there was a few extra dollars, but I was convinced within minutes of trying the bike. I never expected there to be that much of a difference, so I bought it there and then, and started thinking up good excuses to tell the wife. So I pick it up tonight, and luckily have the week off, so some riding tomorrow in the Norwegian rain. Can't wait.
    Go ride the crud out of that thing! I think the first thing you'll notice is that the roll is amazing. You'll find yourself hitting ludicrous speeds on swoopy singletrack in no time.

Congrats!

(and keep an eye out for cracks in the frame )

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Got out today and had a blast around some local trails. It is a very different ride from what I am used to, but all positive. Loved the stability and the way it climbs and overall performance and comfort was a big improvement. All round a great bike and I am really pleased. The only slight downer was within the first 5 minutes I managed to slip the chain off when downshifting from the front derailleur and it jammed between the derailleur and chainstay and took a nice chunk of paint off ! There really is not much room there for chain slips!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    saaawwweettttt!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Virtus pre nummis
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Go ride the crud out of that thing! I think the first thing you'll notice is that the roll is amazing. You'll find yourself hitting ludicrous speeds on swoopy singletrack in no time.

Congrats!

(and keep an eye out for cracks in the frame )
    WOW That speaks very highly of the Gary Fisher brand! Keep an eye out for cracks in the frame? If they are that bad I would never consider that bike!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!

Virtus pre nummis
    Got out today and had a blast around some local trails. It is a very different ride from what I am used to, but all positive. Loved the stability and the way it climbs and overall performance and comfort was a big improvement. All round a great bike and I am really pleased. The only slight downer was within the first 5 minutes I managed to slip the chain off when downshifting from the front derailleur and it jammed between the derailleur and chainstay and took a nice chunk of paint off ! There really is not much room there for chain slips!
    WOW again! That bike is sounding worse with every post! I will surely not be looking at that brand! Gary Fisher isn't that a Trek bike?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazerwolf
    WOW again! That bike is sounding worse with every post! I will surely not be looking at that brand! Gary Fisher isn't that a Trek bike?
    no need to throw the baby out with the bath water! Dropping a chain on the inside up front is a basic setup issue with adjusting the front derailleur. Doesn't say anything about the bike, just about how well the shop tuned it when they built it up.

Fisher frames did have a bad reputation for a bunch of years for small cracks in front of the seattube, but I have heard very little about problems with the latest ones, and those past problems were all covered under warranty too

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    no need to throw the baby out with the bath water! Dropping a chain on the inside up front is a basic setup issue with adjusting the front derailleur. Doesn't say anything about the bike, just about how well the shop tuned it when they built it up.
    X2... don't be silly

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn

Fisher frames did have a bad reputation for a bunch of years for small cracks in front of the seattube, but I have heard very little about problems with the latest ones, and those past problems were all covered under warranty too
    ya, friend of mine got a $1500 steel Fisher, actuall was in the shop with Gary there and got it signed, the seat tube cracked at a weld. Fisher didn't make it anymore.... trek sent him the 9.9 carbon frame.. like what,,? a $2000 frame? Trek does take care of people, heard many good stories about both FIsher and Trek, and probably the fastest turn around (less than 2 weeks usually)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama
    , actuall was in the shop with Gary there and got it signed,
    /thread_derail_begin

I've met Gary as well, got my HiFi signed. The man is the real deal, I was very impressed. He may get pushed around by Trek, but his love of bicycles is very legit.

/thread_derail_end

mtbr member
    May 2008

Great bike!
    How much did you pay for it? And does the shop have a website?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by funkycookie
    Great bike!
    How much did you pay for it? And does the shop have a website?

Thanks
    I bought it from a store here in Bergen - Boasykkel.no.
    Very good service and they will give you all the time you need and are all very helpful, but unless you are in Norway you don't want to know the price! Prices here will probably be a good bit more than the rest of the world, although I got a what I consider a good "Norwegian price"!

As far as cracks are concerned - well I had heard about them in the past, but the frame has a lifetime warranty, so if it happens (which I doubt), I know they will sort me out. The bike and geometry is just so sweet, I don't care. I figure that GF are also confident enough in their product if they offer a lifetime warranty, so that is also fine for me. The chain issue - well I haven't had a bike yet that didn't need some re-adjustment after I bought it. The shop can do all they want to tune it, but once you start riding it, stuff changes, cables stretch, the stoooopid rider is too hard on the gear changes, as he isn't used to SRAM or something! No big deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I went out and rode some trails with a buddy, who normally is pretty much the same pace as myself, and we did the same trail a few days ago when I was on my Cube, and we were absolutely equal pace. Today, on my x-cal, I left him for dust in all sections, including the asphalt on the way to the trail! This surprised me, and just further adds to my conversion to the 29er way. No way back for me, and I am just loving this bike more and more each time I ride it. I am like a little kid with his first mountain bike all over again, and as soon as I get home after a ride, all tired out, I just can't wait to try and rest up a bit and get back out again.

Members who have read this thread: 0