Finally bought one! Trek Marlin.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Finally bought one! Trek Marlin.

After a solid month of perusing this forum and harassing the members, I finally broke down and bought my first 29er. I decided to go with the 2012 Trek Marlin after originally setting my sights on the Trek Wahoo. I've been convinced that it was better to spend an extra $100.00 now rather than later. Double walled rims give me peace of mine, and the fork lockout will be nice for the local rail trail I also do on a regular basis. Picked the bike up after dark so haven't had a chance to ride it around much yet. I'll be doing a local 7 mile trail on Saturday and the 26 mile rail trail on Sunday so I'll follow up with my thoughts and some more pics after the weekend.

Weight via the bathroom scale method is apx 32lbs! Damn that's heavy. Wish me luck as I am finally entering the 29er world.

Sale price was $609. Tried to play the 'what's the cash in hand price' game, but couldn't get anywhere so I used the card for 1% cash back and went home and made the CC payment!

Full specs: Trek Bicycle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finally bought one!  Trek Marlin.-324200_10100558570666758_5717794_57688972_1448605241_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Congrats! Nice lookin bike, darn those reflectors...hurts my eyes! Now get some miles and dirt on that bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nice looking bike congrats!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey, me too! I got one on Saturday, except mine's singlespeed. 30 lbs. bleh.

These wheels are stupid heavy, and so is that fork. It's borderline unwieldy at this weight in my opinion, I'm gonna put in another $500 into it (wheels, tires, and fork) and hopefully drop 6 to 7 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JasperIN View Post
    Congrats! Nice lookin bike, darn those reflectors...hurts my eyes! Now get some miles and dirt on that bike!
    How's this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    sweet i may get one

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    that looks nice, but are treks good bikes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would say Trek is a pretty reputable brand.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Id like to know what other bikes you guys considered before buying that one? brands, price range etc.. I am looking at that same bike as an option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I looked really hard at the Marlin and rode one a couple times. It felt really comfortable, however, the only color my LBS had was the green one. I just couldn't get past that color, but the silver one looks great! I've narrowed my search to GT Karakorma 2.0 and Kona Mahuna. I'm just waiting on the shop to build the Mahuna. The Karakorma was really comfortable and had better specs but was $200 more expensive. I'll decide once I ride the Mahuna. Enjoy your Marlin. It really is a super sweet bike for the $$$.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rnc_forever View Post
    Sale price was $609. Tried to play the 'what's the cash in hand price' game, but couldn't get anywhere so I used the card for 1% cash back and went home and made the CC payment!
    Most Trek dealers don't discount sub $1000 bikes at all...they sell strictly at MSRP. $609 is $40 less than MSRP so that's pretty good.

mtb enthusiast
    One of your first upgrades should be a tubeless setup if it will work with the rims. Your rims aren't native for tubeless but a Stan's kit could work. Ask your lbs if it can be done with your bike. You'll shed a little weight and be better protected from flats on the trail. Congrats on your new bike.

mtbr member
    How was the ride? I am also in the market for my first 29ner.
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

jds
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull30 View Post
    Id like to know what other bikes you guys considered before buying that one? brands, price range etc.. I am looking at that same bike as an option.
    I have a marlin 29'er as well, but the 2011 model. When I was looking, I rode bikes from Cannondale, Specialized, GT, Felt, and Trek/Fisher. At 6'5", I found a lot of the bikes I rode were too short in the top tube, but the XL Marlin felt the best and most maneuverable while I was on it. The Felt Nine Trail was my second choice, but it didn't have the same "jump on me and ride me hard" feel as the Marlin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Congrats on the purchase! I just picked up my Cobia 2 days ago and I'm lovin' it. G2 baby!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I looked only at Treks and Giant since it is what my LBS sells. For me, it was important to buy new and at a reputable shop that is going to support me years down the road with any problems. I was dead set on the Wahoo originally, but spent the extra $ for peace of mind on the rim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Spent the whole weekend on the Marlin so I'll give a little 'ride report'. I did a couple laps around the neighborhood during the week but it basically rained every day. The seat is hard as a rock, but not horrible, I don't own shorts and am able to do any ride without dreading it. That being said, I will be purchasing shorts soon I think. I also noticed immediately that the 'lock out' on the fork doesn't switch well in motion. To lock the fork while riding, I have to pull up on the bars and slide it over. The lockout does work, mainly locked it when doing road riding, never messed with it on my local single track. Bike comes in at 32lbs, without water bottle and cage. I put a generic schwin one from an old bike on mine and managed to break it on the trail the first day (hence, the black tape on my new bike lol). New cage purchase in my future as well. A lot of people complain about the pedals on these entry level Trek's because they are small. I agree, but found that I managed the road and trails just fine. One note, I took a pic of the shock warning, seems like that might need replacing?! Also, the LBS put the back tire on backwards, so I got the chance to switch it in between laps on the local single track which was fun. Today I also noticed that my top rear gear (smallest ring) slips under pressure. Could my rear derailer be out of whack already?

Overall, I love the bike and am happy with the purchase. 29er vs 26 makes a big difference on the trail and made for what I thought was easy going rides on pavement.

I'm no blogger, so sorry if this was jumbled. Report thus far is based on 14 miles (2 laps) of mainly flat single track on Friday, another lap 7 miles on Saturday, and then apx 20 miles of road riding today.

More pics...

[/LIST]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finally bought one!  Trek Marlin.-imag0113.jpg  

Finally bought one!  Trek Marlin.-imag0116.jpg  

mtbr member
    Fork should be fine. Doesn't sound like you're doing any freeride/downhill or dirt jumping.

As for the slippage, it's probably the chain catching on the ramps of your next largest cog so the derailleur probably just needs some slight adjustment.