A final - vital question for you mtbxperts before I buy today- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

A final - vital question for you mtbxperts before I buy today

I can get the Ripmo for less than $4k from a shop out of state.

Or I can get the SB 130 for $4800 before taxes ....and have full bike shop support for a year.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    For me, building a relationship with a LBS is worth a few bucks. Only you can answer if it's worth 800+ dollars to you. I know I'd be leaning that way though.

mtbr member
    Have you ridden both...or either? Buy the bike you like the most. If it's the 130, you have LBS support. If it's the Ripmo, you have $800 to spend on bike support (or a color coordinated outfit, which my wife says is pretty important).

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I agree with MSU Alum. Ride both if you can then get the one you like the most.
    But I do LOVE my Ripmo!

mtbr member
    Buy the bike you like more. Shop support is by product and only happens from time to time, but every time you ride the bike you will feel it. No sense riding a bike you like less just because you want to support a local shop. Once you pick the bike then pick the shop, retailer, etc.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    100% go with the bike. You don't want to pick the wrong bike based on shop support because you will regret it on every ride.

orthonormal
    I test rode both and think both are great bikes. Very similar fit and geometry. I'd choose Ibis over Yeti based on how the company has handled customer issues, both recently and in the past.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

EXORCIZE
    I haven't purchased a bike in awhile - are people paying taxes at their LBS for a complete bike from an out-of-state company? If so, my local sales tax on a SB130 would be $400+.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    I haven't purchased a bike in awhile - are people paying taxes at their LBS for a complete bike from an out-of-state company? If so, my local sales tax on a SB130 would be $400+.
    Not sure I understand, are you asking if you pay state tax based on the state of the manufacturer?
    If so, that's the first time I have heard of paying state tax for another state, without actually going to that state. If YOU go there, you pay tax but not sure how/why your local shop would charge you state tax for another state.

I could be way wrong here. But I don't pay state tax on anything in my life that came from another state.

And why did you say you pay $400 local state tax if your question is on tax based out of another state?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    If you're purchasing it from the local shop, then yes, they have to charge sales tax. If you're buying from a shop that's out of state, which isn't registered for online sales, they do not have to charge you sales tax. If they are registered for online sales (think Competitive Cyclist, REI, etc) then they charge sales tax.

mtbr member
    I'd be happy with either...

#1stWorldProblems

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    If you're purchasing it from the local shop, then yes, they have to charge sales tax. If you're buying from a shop that's out of state, which isn't registered for online sales, they do not have to charge you sales tax.
    That's what I thought. The LBS is at a terrible disadvantage. I bought a frame yesterday online because the manufacturer was offering 20% off, plus I didn't have to pay local taxes. I tried to find a frame from a brand carried by my two favorite shops, but my parts' standards left me few options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I would go for the best deal, and if I avoid sales tax that is a bonus. I live in CA, and believe me, we pay more than our fair share of taxes. I go to great lengths to avoid sales tax, but that is only because of this state's love affair with high taxes. The gas/car tax increase hit me for about $80 a month, so in response I cancelled cable tv and don't miss it.

I have bought several high dollar bikes in state though because the deal was good enough to justify to me. In fact, all three bikes in my sig were purchased locally, as well as a Trance Advanced 2 and a Pine Mountain that I sold. Perhaps the local bike stores are selling bikes to buyers out of state who avoid their local sales tax?

Unless you like the local bike way more, then a year from now you won't remember or care how much you paid.
    Gman
    2018 Trek Stache 5
    2018 Orbea Alma M50
    2018 Cannondale Trigger 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    All things equal, the SB130 is not worth 20% more than the Ripmo.

Wanna support your LBS, order parts and clothing from them.
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Agreed on both points. Don't need to buy a bike to get lbs support.. Either way enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Yep, I have never bought a bike from a bike shop but I get plenty of support. I bring my bikes in for service and they fix them.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone