mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Fezzari Signal Peak feedback?

It's on my short list for short travel trail bikes, probably looking at the XL for reach, 130-140mm Pike, maybe an Angleset.

Bike will be used for less techy riding, flowy stuff with small features, longer days in the saddle, backyard riding, alternative to a hardtail or a big hit bike.

This bike clicks a lot of boxes: 430mm CS, STA 74.5 and HTA 67.5 (with a 130mm fork), 480mm reach with only a 4mm increase in STOH vs a large frame, takes two water bottles (inconceivable!), ~ 2600gm with shock, $2200 with Fox Flaot DPS shock, lifetime warranty.

An alternative is to buy their aluminum frame option (Cascade Peak) with slightly different geo: 130mm travel, CS 434, HTA 66.4, HTA 75, Reach 489 XL, SOH 30.5" XL, price is ~1600, but the weight is ~2# more than carbon. I like the geo better, and the price is fair, but it's heavyish

They are in SLC, so I'll get a demo before buying.

Lots of pros, cons are steepish HTA, direct sale company makes me nervous, not exactly cheap.

I'd like to hear from folks who have ridden one. There's a "fan boy" review from a Utah riders group, but I'd like to hear from someone who didn't get so friendly with Fezzari.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:37 PM.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What's your inseam? I'd also be interested in this except for the standover, which at 30.9" in size Medium rules one out for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have not ridden one yet... but have been considering doing a frame up build for the past few weeks, and just about have my component spec in place. For the money, their builds are nearly unbeatable. I stopped by their shop very briefly a few weeks ago, and spent a brief spin on a La Sal Peak. Bike felt really good, and they are very nice in hand. They had the Signal Peaks on the showroom floor as well, and they're really nice. I did try out two of their road bikes back in the spring, and I think their quality is there, and their customer service was excellent throughout my experience. I live in Denver, so no local bias there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Off the wall idea: ask this seller for his objective-as-possible input.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2456168/

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I saw that ad, not a bad idea, see what heís getting to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    Off the wall idea: ask this seller for his objective-as-possible input.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2456168/
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Non Bias Review of the Signal Peak

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    It's on my short list for short travel trail bikes, probably looking at the XL for reach, 130-140mm Pike, maybe an Angleset.

Bike will be used for less techy riding, flowy stuff with small features, longer days in the saddle, backyard riding, alternative to a hardtail or a big hit bike.

This bike clicks a lot of boxes: 430mm CS, STA 74.5 and HTA 67.5 (with a 130mm fork), 480mm reach with only a 4mm increase in STOH vs a large frame, takes two water bottles (inconceivable!), ~ 2600gm with shock, $2200 with Fox Flaot DPS shock, lifetime warranty.

An alternative is to buy their aluminum frame option (Cascade Peak) with slightly different geo: 130mm travel, CS 434, HTA 66.4, HTA 75, Reach 489 XL, SOH 30.5" XL, price is ~1600, but the weight is ~2# more than carbon. I like the geo better, and the price is fair, but it's heavyish

They are in SLC, so I'll get a demo before buying.

Lots of pros, cons are steepish HTA, direct sale company makes me nervous, not exactly cheap.

I'd like to hear from folks who have ridden one. There's a "fan boy" review from a Utah riders group, but I'd like to hear from someone who didn't get so friendly with Fezzari.
    Nurse Ben,
    I purchased the Signal Peak about three months ago. I was coming off a Scott Spark and before that a SC Tallboy. I too was looking for something that was light and fast for flowy single track with the ability to climb really well but also fun on the descents.
    I was able to demo the bike for a few hours on one of my favorite trails and didn't feel like I was pushing very hard. At the end of the ride I had 4 PRs. The geo is very efficient. I could stand out of the saddle and hammer and had very little bounce or squat. Much better even than my spark. And the downhill is way better on this bike than on my 2016 Scott Spark or 2014 Tallboy.
    Hard to explain but he slacker head angle combined with the more upright seat angle is a really good combo.

I ordered the Signal Peak Elite Race build and have been really impressed with how light and nimble this bike is but at how well it handles the chunky stuff as well. This carbon frame is the game changer in my opinion. It's a whole new design and it's really well thought out. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How much sag did you have the shock at? Could you leave it in open or did you have to toggle to the middle setting for climbs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I believe it was about 30% but I need to double check. I usually ride everything in the middle or closed position. I only go fully open when I know I have a long technical downhill. Middle setting is preferred for 90% of my riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks Jeff, thatís good feedback. How did you size the bike? What travel fork are you running?

I ride a long reach bike now, 490mm, so I was thinking about getting the XL for the reach. Howís the stand over compare to other bikes?

Do you find the frame stuff, ie can you buzz the chain or chainstays with the tire? Can you flex the frame by holding the bike crosswise and weighting a pedal?
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks Jeff, thatís good feedback. How did you size the bike? What travel fork are you running?

I ride a long reach bike now, 490mm, so I was thinking about getting the XL for the reach. Howís the stand over compare to other bikes?

Do you find the frame stuff, ie can you buzz the chain or chainstays with the tire? Can you flex the frame by holding the bike crosswise and weighting a pedal?
    I'm a little over 5"10 and decided to go with the large to open up the cockpit a little. I'm running the Fox 34 Step-Cast 120mm Performance-Elite, Fox Float DPS. It's close in weight of the Fox 32 I was running on my Scott but is a lot stiffer.

I would say the frame is stiff, not as stiff as maybe the Pivot but I have never buzzed the chain or chainstays with the rear tire. In fact I try to push the tire towards the stay and it barely moves. I'm running a smaller tire. Maxxis Rekon 2.25 in the rear and Maxxis ForeKaster 2.35 in the front.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnut View Post
    I believe it was about 30% but I need to double check. I usually ride everything in the middle or closed position. I only go fully open when I know I have a long technical downhill. Middle setting is preferred for 90% of my riding.
    Thanks, rep added! Last question, I think, ha: when you ride with rear shock open in hopes of getting max traction, or even on the faster descents, does the rear end wallow or bob excessively which requires you to dial in more rebound to control the motion?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Thanks, rep added! Last question, I think, ha: when you ride with rear shock open in hopes of getting max traction, or even on the faster descents, does the rear end wallow or bob excessively which requires you to dial in more rebound to control the motion?
    No. For me the Geo is really efficient and never bobs or squats as long as you have the rear shock set up properly. Like I said, I get out of the saddle and hammer on the pedals and it is very efficient. That is my experience anyway. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So helpful, someone responding with no drama, and you can compare to two other common bikes; the Hightower comparison is most helpful.

I'm probably going to pick up an XL, I like a longer cockpit as well.

$2200 with a good shock, not flexy, stable climbing platform, lightweight, lifetime warranty, and 30 day love or leave it, man that's like the perfect wishlist!

I've got a Pike 140mm, 42mm offset, in a box waiting to get some trail time. Might ultimately use an angleset, just depends on handling. The Fezarri CS guy said the engineers recommended against a shorter offset fork saying that the steer geo wouldn't work with less offset; make it too twitchy.

I ride a 140/160 bike now with a 42mm offset Lyrik and I love it. So I'll try the Fezarri with a shorter offset first and see how it rides.

No. For me the Geo is really efficient and never bobs or squats as long as you have the rear shock set up properly. Like I said, I get out of the saddle and hammer on the pedals and it is very efficient. That is my experience anyway. Hope that helps.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So helpful, someone responding with no drama, and you can compare to two other common bikes; the Hightower comparison is most helpful.

I'm probably going to pick up an XL, I like a longer cockpit as well.

$2200 with a good shock, not flexy, stable climbing platform, lightweight, lifetime warranty, and 30 day love or leave it, man that's like the perfect wishlist!

I've got a Pike 140mm, 42mm offset, in a box waiting to get some trail time. Might ultimately use an angleset, just depends on handling. The Fezarri CS guy said the engineers recommended against a shorter offset fork saying that the steer geo wouldn't work with less offset; make it too twitchy.

I ride a 140/160 bike now with a 42mm offset Lyrik and I love it. So I'll try the Fezarri with a shorter offset first and see how it rides.
    I have a 51mm and 44mm SC34 to try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Would love to hear comparisons to an SB100 or something more XC oriented.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    He compared it to a Scott Spark, not sure which model he had, but that is definitely an XC ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Would love to hear comparisons to an SB100 or something more XC oriented.

Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for a great review! Can you describe the trails you ride and your trail preferences (e.g., XC, fire road, DH, bike park, etc).

Nurse Ben,
    I purchased the Signal Peak about three months ago. I was coming off a Scott Spark and before that a SC Tallboy. I too was looking for something that was light and fast for flowy single track with the ability to climb really well but also fun on the descents.
    I was able to demo the bike for a few hours on one of my favorite trails and didn't feel like I was pushing very hard. At the end of the ride I had 4 PRs. The geo is very efficient. I could stand out of the saddle and hammer and had very little bounce or squat. Much better even than my spark. And the downhill is way better on this bike than on my 2016 Scott Spark or 2014 Tallboy.
    Hard to explain but he slacker head angle combined with the more upright seat angle is a really good combo.

I ordered the Signal Peak Elite Race build and have been really impressed with how light and nimble this bike is but at how well it handles the chunky stuff as well. This carbon frame is the game changer in my opinion. It's a whole new design and it's really well thought out. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeff

mtbr member

It's a whole new design and it's really well thought out.

Jeff
    I'm curious what exactly is so special with the design
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    They redesigned the suspension and the Carbon frame is new, not special just improved,

Frame is fairly light for what it offers, same weight as a Sniper but reportedly stiffer.

This is new model for them as well, XC, but with the ability to punch above itís class.

Iíll have a frame for build up after the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    I'm curious what exactly is so special with the design
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    They redesigned the suspension and the Carbon frame is new, not special just improved,

Frame is fairly light for what it offers, same weight as a Sniper but reportedly stiffer.

This is new model for them as well, XC, but with the ability to punch above itís class.

Looking forward to your report. The two bottles in main cage are a big factor for me, too, and I don't feel like paying $1200 more for the 2019 Oiz. It shouldn't be a big deal to me since I have the Wolftooth B-Rad two bottle adapter. I'm spoiled by my old Czar even though one was under downtube (just swap caps).

mtbr member

Got it...I'm liking the geo numbers pretty well...shorter CS in particular, compared to Sniper

Perhaps the best thing for me is I can pop down to SLC and get on one (come April?)...
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any information on weights on the different builds? It looks like Fezzari doesn't publish weights.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Any information on weights on the different builds? It looks like Fezzari doesn't publish weights.

There's a little more information in this thread:

https://forums.mtbr.com/endurance-xc...i-1076172.html

I think the Elite builds are still sub 25#, based on a vague recollection I have of hearing or seeing that somewhere.
    Yeti SB150 - Dental Apprentice Edition

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    FYI. Emailed Fezzari last week with a question and Jordan from their shop called me. The bike has a third water bottle boss set under the down tube which for me, doing epic rides in the desert, was a bonus. I know of no other full suspension bike with ability to carry three water bottles on the frame. Still shopping but close...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The frame is 2200 gms without shock, so the builds will be light as a typical XC FS bike. Think comparable to a Sniper.

Try not to get hung up on weight, parts weigh the same regardless of what bike is wearing them, so you can interpolate weight. Aluminum vs aluminum, carbon vs carbon, not a lot of difference in how much stuff weighs when comparing apples and apples.

The big takeaway is weight is a function of function, ie need burly tires then you add weight, need a burly fork add some more weight, want a dropper ...

This frame is a winner in many ways, lightweight, stiff, decent suspension kinematics, inexpensive, warranty for life, 30 day returns, frame only or three levels of build, three water bottles?!, good geo "overall".

Unless it rides like shite, I'll buy one.

My only issue is the shortish reach and steep HTA, but if I can straddle an XL I'll size up and the HTA can be reduced with an angle set. I have a Pike 140mm, 42mm offset that I want to run, so the angleset will only be used if the fork makes it too twitchy... but then it's supposed to be an XC bike so maybe I get used to it.

I'll probably run over to SLC in January, unless I just order it and take my chances.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this frame. I wish it was a little slacker like the Sniper, but these are available.

The price is a little higher than I'd like for an unknown brand with few reviews than I can't test ride or at least check out in person, but not bad if the weight is as advertised and the suspension design works like they say.

The color options are meh, but the threaded BB and 2 bottle cages is a big plus IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this frame. I wish it was a little slacker like the Sniper, but these are available.

The price is a little higher than I'd like for an unknown brand with few reviews than I can't test ride or at least check out in person, but not bad if the weight is as advertised and the suspension design works like they say.

The color options are meh, but the threaded BB and 2 bottle cages is a big plus IMO.
    It might not be well know, but it's not unknown. It's been around a while. A friend has had a carbon HT for a while. The finish of the frame looked as good and any of the name brands I've owned.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I'm pretty new to biking. Started on a Craigslist HT for $400 a few months ago. Fell in love and started doing research on what FS bike to go with. Ended up pulling the trigger on a Fezzari Cascade Peak. Just got it yesterday and took it out for a ride for the first time this morning. All I have to compare against is my XC geo HT and this thing kills it in the downhill segments (especially gnar) and still climbs pretty decently. The bike looks sharp and the build feels very solid. Much better components than other bikes in the same price range. I would definitely recommend Fezzari to to the skeptics wondering what's up with the goofy name.