Few questions about my brand new left over 2017 Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Few questions about my brand new left over 2017 Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon 29

Hi all! I'm new here.. thanks for having me

I recently upgraded from a 2007 Stumpjumper FSR Expert (26" aluminum) to a 2017 Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon 29". What a difference!

Link for reference: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/st...=209164-115302

Question 1: I noticed a piece of sticky rubber that wasn't used in the setup of the bike.. Should I be using this?? (Image Attached)

Question 2: On my maiden voyage I noticed under a steep climb, under pedal pressure my bike making a really odd sound when pedaling.. almost as if was something was slipping while pedaling, a sort of screeching sound - should I be worried / get it checked out??? I never had anything like that on the old stumpy.

Thank you!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Few questions about my brand new left over 2017 Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon 29-17-stumpy-sticky-rubber-remix1201.jpg  

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice bike!!
    #1 - How are you referencing that this piece was "used in setup" of the bike?
    #2 - A screeching sound could be something like the brakes dragging slightly but I don't know that I have ever heard a bike screech. Pops, creaks, groans that kinda stuff usually just means something is slightly loose and rubbing against other items and causing noise. Go over the entire bike and check all the bolts to ensure everything is tight. From there I would make sure that the axles are tight and then move to headset and seatpost. Slowly go through the bike and adjust things and see if the noise goes away.

mtbr member
    Looks like some type of rubber chainstay protector.