fenders and racks on KM?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

fenders and racks on KM?

Hello,

Is the Karatey Monkey set up so you can put fenders and racks and stuff on it?

Thanks.

Harmonius Wrench

Yew-betcha!

Quote Originally Posted by chris the monikerless
    Hello,

Is the Karatey Monkey set up so you can put fenders and racks and stuff on it?

Thanks.
    Yes, the Monkey is fully rack and fender compatible. However; if you run disc brakes on it, you will have to get creative with the disc side strut mounts for your fenders. I had to customize the bend/angle to clear the caliper, and then used a longer caliper mounting bolt, and mounted the stay to the caliper. It takes a little longer to set up, but it works very well. I used Planet Bike Hardcore fenders over my Inova studded tires for winter commuting. I do not use a rack, but I have seen a few Monkeys set up with racks and fenders. Many of the Quality Bicycle employees had Monkeys set up this way for commuting when I attended their dealer show last year. Go for it and good luck! It's just one of the many ways you can use a KM, which I find awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got a KM and occassionally put my Old Man Mountain rack on the back. It mounts through the rear hub axle rather than on the dropout eyelets. It's a little bit of a hassle to get it to thread through the monkey nuts, but it works fine. I use Vbrakes, but it would work with discs too. There is not a lot of clearance over the WTB Nano's, but there is plenty to get by with. If you tried to squeeze in all three (the big Nano's, the OMM rack AND fenders), it might be pretty tight, but would probably work.

I've never used fenders on it, but see no reason why they wouldn't work with a bit of creativity.

Members who have read this thread: 0