Fasttrak vs Karma

To give the searchers more to see
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

mmmmmmmm.....sexy

Quote Originally Posted by SKullman
    To give the searchers more to see
    I thing either one one those tires would roll well but I can bet that the karmas would be black lightning around here.I guess this thread will let me know who's the champ.
    Actually while I'm here I wouldn''t mind the veiw of a few riders who full on race these tires.no hucking/urban riding/grocery getting reviews just good old fashioned "I want to kick your ass this sunday" reviews.
    thanks
    Dallas

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey SKullman,
    Can you possibly get us a measurement on the relative height and width of the two tires, now that you have them apparently mounted side by side on an identical rim/wheel? This would be most helpfull, as the Fastrack appears only a tad wider an quite a bit taller? Thanks for the great pic's, appriciate the measurements in mm , if possible!

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    I sold my fastraks after a couple of rides on the Karmas. If I need more volume I will just go back the the Klaws, which I also love. Klaws climb better than the fasttrak. The fasttrak rolls better, but if I want a better rolling tire I think the Karma is the ticket since it is 100 grams lighter than the Fasttrak. I know there will be situations where the fasttrak would have been the best, but I couldn't see having 3 different sets of tires at this time. The fasttrak, while great, was the odd-man out.

I ride around Portland, OR and Northwestern Oregon for the most part.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

elbow gloves

I finally put some good miles on the fastraks

and really loved them. I raced the 24HOP this weekend on a super hardpacked course with some deep sand mixed in. They hooked up very nicely and rolled fast. I'll probably throw the exi's on for the majority of my riding for their beefy sidewalls and our sharp jagged rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Law
    I sold my fastraks after a couple of rides on the Karmas. If I need more volume I will just go back the the Klaws, which I also love. Klaws climb better than the fasttrak. The fasttrak rolls better, but if I want a better rolling tire I think the Karma is the ticket since it is 100 grams lighter than the Fasttrak. I know there will be situations where the fasttrak would have been the best, but I couldn't see having 3 different sets of tires at this time. The fasttrak, while great, was the odd-man out.

I ride around Portland, OR and Northwestern Oregon for the most part.
    Have you ridden the Karmas yet? Please report when you get some more time on them as I'm in the same area (Seattle actually) and would like to hear how they compare for you.

I've got some Fast Tracks that will likely go on for the race this weekend (Valentines Challenge) and some Klaws (I think that's what I ordered) for just riding. I can't wait! Bike build pics tomorrow night!

Cheers!
    -Ian

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    Have you ridden the Karmas yet? Please report when you get some more time on them as I'm in the same area (Seattle actually) and would like to hear how they compare for you.

I've got some Fast Tracks that will likely go on for the race this weekend (Valentines Challenge) and some Klaws (I think that's what I ordered) for just riding. I can't wait! Bike build pics tomorrow night!

Cheers!
    -Ian
    Yeah, I posted my views on the Karmas a couple of places in this forum. Basically, they rock. I love 'em. I am not sure when I will go back to the Klaws, but not anytime soon. Like I said fasttraks are great too, I just prefer the Karmas over all if I am going for a lightweight tire. Otherwise the Klaw still are the best climbing tire I have used. Actually right now I am using cross tires (Ritchey Speedmax) to commute on and for riding in Forest Park. I am saving the Kendas for when the riding season begins in earnest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ok, using my highly non special super non digital calipers, I'm no shiggy, but I'll try...

Karma's = 45mm wide - 46mm wide w/tread block - 44mm tall - 46mm tall w/tread block
    Fasttrak = 48mm wide - 51 wide w/tread block - 45mm tall - 48mm tall w/tread block

the sidewalls on the fasttraks feel thicker than the karmas also.

Shane

Where's Toto?
    Speedgoat lists the weight of the Karma's as 526 grams. Is this about right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

yup

weighed 4, 512, 525, 530, 538. wish i could have gotten 2 at the 512!

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Klaw 49 mm

I measured my 3 y/o Klaw rear on road rim at 49mm casing last week. Is the Karma really 45 mm? That would be good for my narrow stays.

Quote Originally Posted by SKullman
    ok, using my highly non special super non digital calipers, I'm no shiggy, but I'll try...

Karma's = 45mm wide - 46mm wide w/tread block - 44mm tall - 46mm tall w/tread block
    Fasttrak = 48mm wide - 51 wide w/tread block - 45mm tall - 48mm tall w/tread block

the sidewalls on the fasttraks feel thicker than the karmas also.

Shane

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'd love to say that I lied, but that's what my caliper told me, on the above pictured rims.

FYI the tire were mounted and inflated to 40psi for 2 days before this measurement.

Shane

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Tubeless?

Anyone running this tire with stan's strips?

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Great thread, SKullman. Many thanks for such usefull info and pics. I'd be interested in a set for when the race season starts and the ground is a bit dryer... imagine those puppies in a DYI tubeless setup.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by malcuso
    Anyone running this tire with stan's strips?
    Yup, I am running the Karmas on my Race Lite Disc wheels. I know you aren't supposed to, but I thought I would give it a try. The tires mounted up easily and inflated with a floor pump.

They sealed well initially, they will hold 40 psi for several hours and then they will spontaneously lose all air pressure. I will keep an eye on it and see what happens. I have not gotten a chance to ride them yet.

mtbr member

Thanks SKullman

good info here for me. i have the FastTrak's, but am considering the Karma's.
    thanks again for taking the time to pic, measure, & post here for us.
    Think Big, Live Large: Ride a 29er.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by pktrekguy
    Yup, I am running the Karmas on my Race Lite Disc wheels. I know you aren't supposed to, but I thought I would give it a try. The tires mounted up easily and inflated with a floor pump.

They sealed well initially, they will hold 40 psi for several hours and then they will spontaneously lose all air pressure. I will keep an eye on it and see what happens. I have not gotten a chance to ride them yet.

check the sidewalls on the Karmas. They are very thin. I bet that is where you are losing air.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Law
    check the sidewalls on the Karmas. They are very thin. I bet that is where you are losing air.
    The tires once again held 40 PSI for several hours, but this time I was around when I heard the pffffft..... Right near the bead the lip air was leaking and pretty fast at that, but with a couple shakes it sealed right up. This was at 7pm last night and they have both held 40 PSI until 930am today. I've got my fingers crossed.

The sidewalls are definately thin, so I will just keep an eye on things. I will keep this post update

Jan 2004

stans

I've never used Stans without mounting the tire, shaking it all around, and THEN RIDING THE BIKE for at least 20-30 minutes. You need to ride it around to get the goo in and out of every little crevice and seat the bead better.

I would fully expect that if I did what you did, the tire would deflate soon. Maybe you've had luck this way, but I thought it was fairly essential that you ride the bike a bit to get it all worked in nicely. Just my 2 cents.

I'm another person that is really hoping the kevlar bead will work with 29er wheels also. I haven't tried it yet, but plan on racing the Karma tubeless, and really don't want to use a wired tire (Karmas aren't offered in wire).

The 26er Karma sidewalls are really thin also, and I never had a problem with those...so we'll see.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonius
    I've never used Stans without mounting the tire, shaking it all around, and THEN RIDING THE BIKE for at least 20-30 minutes. You need to ride it around to get the goo in and out of every little crevice and seat the bead better.

I would fully expect that if I did what you did, the tire would deflate soon. Maybe you've had luck this way, but I thought it was fairly essential that you ride the bike a bit to get it all worked in nicely. Just my 2 cents.

I'm another person that is really hoping the kevlar bead will work with 29er wheels also. I haven't tried it yet, but plan on racing the Karma tubeless, and really don't want to use a wired tire (Karmas aren't offered in wire).

The 26er Karma sidewalls are really thin also, and I never had a problem with those...so we'll see.
    I've never had to ride the wheelset to get them to seal, but I've also never used tires this thin before. I'll will take care of it this weekend and see how things go.

Recovering couch patato
    I tend to not get a ride in when I do a tubeless inflation, and then find myself having to shake the wheels around for a few days until I fully trust them. I sealed a wheel last saturday, and give it a quick spin every time I walk past it. Loses about the same air a latex tube does. Not sure what is normal for a perfect seal. Once rode a whole winter on 26" slicks that in my memory hardly ever required air.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I tend to not get a ride in when I do a tubeless inflation, and then find myself having to shake the wheels around for a few days until I fully trust them. I sealed a wheel last saturday, and give it a quick spin every time I walk past it. Loses about the same air a latex tube does. Not sure what is normal for a perfect seal. Once rode a whole winter on 26" slicks that in my memory hardly ever required air.
    The tires have been holding air very well. I got a chance to ride them briefly as well. They rolled very well on pavement, I was impressed. I have been looking for a light fast tire without aggressive tread. I loved the super x revolts, pythons and the comp s for 26", i think the karma will be an adequate 29er replacement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I just mounted the above rims with a 26" stany kit, and the Karmas.

Just with soapy water I lubed up the strip and seated the strip super carefully, then soaped up the tire bead mounted them and aired them up with my floor pump, went right up to 40 psi then slowly leaked all the air out of the sidewall.
    The sidewalls are too thin to use without some type of seal juice.
    I did some of the standard "burp test" from the web site and I couldn't easily make them burp, so that was encouraging.

I agree about seating in the tubless kit. Every set I've installed worked horribly until I got about 10 miles of riding in.

Shane

Members who have read this thread: 0