Fairly cheap and strong wheelset? Where to buy?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,230

    Fairly cheap and strong wheelset? Where to buy?

    Right now I am looking to assemble the parts to build up a 29er and am trying to figure out what to get and how much it is going to cost.

    So far, I am planning to use the existing parts from my 26er, so all I will need is a frame, fork, and wheelset. I was thinking about going with a Soma Juice and a Reba fork. I'd really like to get a Unit 29er, but Kona is currently out of stock.

    That basically leaves the wheelset for me to decide on. I work at a shop, but unfortunately my choices are somewhat limited. I either can choose the American Classic 29er wheelset which is way too expensive or some machine built WTB Dual-Duty rims on Deore Disc hubs. I may very well go with the WTB/Deore wheelset, but I'd really prefer a disc specific rims.

    I have done a little poking around on the better known online retailer websites, but haven't really found anything. Does anybody know of any deals on a disc specific 29er wheelset. 36 hole would be preferable since I am a little on the heavy side. Thanks.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,230
    I am also not opposed to lacing up new rims to my very low mileage XT hubset. So, any recommendations on clydesdale friendly rims would be welcome too. Last thing I forgot to mention was that I am hoping to keep this at $200 or less.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

  3. #3
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,017
    Here in Europe, there's several places that offer Deore/Rigida wheelsets for like €80/$100 on sale. Rigida rims are pretty tough, 550+g most of he time. I guess the trekking market isn't as vast in the US? Look at Sun Rhynolite rims. Shop around for slightly lighter front hubs. Some Real's are floating around, maybe DT Onyx. Deore hubs IMO are fine though.

    Good luck!

  4. #4
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,906
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy
    I am also not opposed to lacing up new rims to my very low mileage XT hubset. So, any recommendations on clydesdale friendly rims would be welcome too. Last thing I forgot to mention was that I am hoping to keep this at $200 or less.

    Since you already have the XT hubs, order some Sun RhynoLite's out of BTI. Lace 'em up with DT Comps and you'll have met all your criteria.

    MC

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Since you already have the XT hubs, order some Sun RhynoLite's out of BTI. Lace 'em up with DT Comps and you'll have met all your criteria.

    MC
    I am still trying to figure out whether to start with an entire new wheelset or build one with my hubs. I have a feeling I can get some decent money for my wheelset and use that to help pay for the new one.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

  6. #6
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,202
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy
    Right now I am looking to assemble the parts to build up a 29er and am trying to figure out what to get and how much it is going to cost.

    So far, I am planning to use the existing parts from my 26er, so all I will need is a frame, fork, and wheelset. I was thinking about going with a Soma Juice and a Reba fork. I'd really like to get a Unit 29er, but Kona is currently out of stock.

    That basically leaves the wheelset for me to decide on. I work at a shop, but unfortunately my choices are somewhat limited. I either can choose the American Classic 29er wheelset which is way too expensive or some machine built WTB Dual-Duty rims on Deore Disc hubs. I may very well go with the WTB/Deore wheelset, but I'd really prefer a disc specific rims.

    I have done a little poking around on the better known online retailer websites, but haven't really found anything. Does anybody know of any deals on a disc specific 29er wheelset. 36 hole would be preferable since I am a little on the heavy side. Thanks.

    Here's one for $285

    http://www.webcyclery.com/home.php?cat=437

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I must have forgotten to mention that I need a 9 speed freehub rear wheel and not single speed.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    I used XT disc hubs, DT Swiss TK 7.1 rims with DT DB spokes and Alloy nipples. Not to expensive of a build, but durable. I don't know where you are, but The Path Bike Shop builds pretty nice wheels. Give them a call.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    227
    velocityusa.com has what you need.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.