Explaining 29er vs 26 geometry- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Explaining 29er vs 26 geometry

So I was telling a friend of mine about my new 29er, and he asked me if frame makers simply made every tube a little longer to accommodate for the bigger wheels, while retaining the same basic geometry as a 26". Instinctively I said "no," but then I couldn't really explain what the geometric differences are. I know the front ends tend to be different, because of toe-overlap issues, but what the heck ARE the frame differences between 26 and 29?

I realize that every bike is probably a little different, but does anyone have a simple way to generalize -- a "longer X but shorter Y" kind of rule of thumb?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Godless Communist
    So I was telling a friend of mine about my new 29er, and he asked me if frame makers simply made every tube a little longer to accommodate for the bigger wheels, while retaining the same basic geometry as a 26". Instinctively I said "no," but then I couldn't really explain what the geometric differences are. I know the front ends tend to be different, because of toe-overlap issues, but what the heck ARE the frame differences between 26 and 29?

I realize that every bike is probably a little different, but does anyone have a simple way to generalize -- a "longer X but shorter Y" kind of rule of thumb?
    Frame geometry and frame design/tube dimensions are different things. There are changes made to the latter just to get the wheels to fit the bike: Longer down tube, shorter head tube, longer stays and fork.

And they are related to the few made to the former for handling: more BB drop, slightly different HTA and/or fork offset. As far as rider fit, they should be the same.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Totally depends on the bike. The geometry of a Gary Fisher Rumblefish is substantially different from a Tallboy, for example. There is no direct 26/29 differentiation.

mtbr member
    Thanks, shiggy and lawfarm -- both of those responses are helpful.

Members who have read this thread: 0