Experiences with Seven Cycles- Mtbr.com
    New Guy
    Jan 2007

Experiences with Seven Cycles

I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my SIR 9 to a custom Ti hardtail and I am trying to decide what frame to buy. I work part time for a Seven dealer (we are a dealer, but don't sell many of their frames) and I would be able to get a frame for an excellent price. My problem is that I have read some not-so-favorable reviews of their bikes and the company as a whole on this forum and I am a bit apprehensive about trusting them to build me a frame that will be my go-to hardtail for a long time. I would appreciate anyones advice on this subject. Would you go with the Seven if you were me?

Sweep the leg!
    I've had an Axiom for almost 8 years and couldn't be happier. It was made to duplicate my Serotta Phinney and they did it right. They delivered it ahead of schedule.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    My Seven is totally awesome! If you order one make sure you spec 2.1 tires or else they will come back to you with REALLY long CS. Also, the sliders work great. Soon, they should be coming out with a new version of the sliders with a hanger on it if you want to run gears.

Specs are

19" seat tube
    24.63" top tube
    72.5 HTA
    72 STA
    11.9" BB Height
    17.88 Chain Stays

Feb 2007
    Bad reviews? I'll have to check out the reviews I guess, I'm a little surprised. I had a Sola for 8 years (just sold it last year). It was the best 26" wheeled bike I ever owned, by far. Great craftsmanship, the custom geometry was spot on (well, as spot on as a 26" bike can be for someone 6'3"), the bike rode like a dream. I have a couple of friends who are longtime Seven owners, and they couldn't be happier with their bikes. Also, I've meant quite a few Seven owners over the years, and I've never heard any complaints, except for the price of course.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I don't think the frame could be any higher quality and the fit is totally perfect. My only complaint is that I don't like to ride any of my other bikes now.

mtbr member
    I have had two sevens-The first was good but came with a bad finish-something I lived with since I got a deal on it from the shop I worked at-

The second was a 29er
    I got the bike was building it up and as I finishing it -realized there were no cable guides on the bottom bracket-huge mistake-sent it back

Got the bike back and saw the water bottle mount on the seat tube was too low and the water bottle rested on the down tube-I did not think too much about untill I saw after a very short period the water bottle had worn a groove into the the down tube-sent it back

Got the bike back and there was a dent in the down tube when I got it back-sent it back

Got the bike back sold it-This is not to mention that the bike did not ride well at all nor the other mistakes I have seen on frames from them. If you are going to get a ti frame I would go with another builder -there are a lot more out there

New Guy
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ftp13
    I have had two sevens-The first was good but came with a bad finish-something I lived with since I got a deal on it from the shop I worked at-

The second was a 29er
    I got the bike was building it up and as I finishing it -realized there were no cable guides on the bottom bracket-huge mistake-sent it back

Got the bike back and saw the water bottle mount on the seat tube was too low and the water bottle rested on the down tube-I did not think too much about untill I saw after a very short period the water bottle had worn a groove into the the down tube-sent it back

Got the bike back and there was a dent in the down tube when I got it back-sent it back

Got the bike back sold it-This is not to mention that the bike did not ride well at all nor the other mistakes I have seen on frames from them. If you are going to get a ti frame I would go with another builder -there are a lot more out there

Thanks for the feedback... What frame did you end up with after you sold the Seven?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LSWillia
    Thanks for the feedback... What frame did you end up with after you sold the Seven?
    I got a Karate Monkey-It rides better than the Seven in every way-I also recently picked up a used Waterford which I love-great riding bike. If I was going to get a ti bike I would go with a Black Sheep. James has made some great looking bikes and I think he has a good understanding of how to build a 29er. The good thing about working with a smaller operation over Seven is you are going to be speaking directly with the builder which I think goes a ong way in getting bike built exactly how you want it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've had an Axiom since 2004. The bike arrived more-or-less on time and exhibits very fine craftmanship. The welds are beautiful, and the the finish is very nice. The bike fits my slightly odd proportions well, and the ride is stiff-but-smooth, like I asked. You can see photos and a short description on my blog:

http://industrialstrengthscience.blo...ack-pearl.html

mtbr member
    The thing about a custom bike is that they are not all the same. I told Seven I wanted my bike to steer very quick, corner really well, and provide as soft a ride as they could do. That is exactly what it does. If I were to compare my Seven to the Karate Monkey I would say the Seven's drivetrain is much stiffer, it's seven pounds lighter, the steering is much quicker, and the faster you go the smoother the ride is. The only think I like better about the Karate Monkey (other than the price) is that it is easier to wheelie.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    My Seven is excellent in build, fit and finish. It is exactly what/how I wanted it to be.
    (my dog isn't as impressed....)

I would go with Seven again in a heartbeat. FWIW, my frame was in my hands less than two weeks from date of order.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bad customer relations

I sent 7 some emails about a custom I was considering and they never responded.

I then called them about a 7 cross frame I had and wanted to make some tweaks to in a custom.They refused to discuss the existing frame.

I told them to shove it and purchased elsewhere.
    no signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Padre,

Good lord that's a tall bike. Compare with this image.

The really funny thing is that you and I are running almost the same saddle. I believe yours is the gel version, which I have on my fixie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    nice dog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfcas
    I then called them about a 7 cross frame I had and wanted to make some tweaks to in a custom.They refused to discuss the existing frame.
    I bought a used Alta road frame hoping to use it as a basis for a custom one of my own, but Seven refused to disclose even the most basic info on the frame due to "privacy concerns". It's a nice frame, but since Seven has prevented it from serving its intended purpose I'm going to switch to a Cannondale frame instead. This way I will have a known basis for a custom frame when I go that route; now it will probably be Serotta when I do.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by dfcas
    I sent 7 some emails about a custom I was considering and they never responded.

I told them to shove it and purchased elsewhere.
    Not responding to an email happens sometimes when there is a servor error as I'm sure you know. IME they fell over backwards answering all my q's. I can't imagine them refusing to answer yours.

You offering your "tweak" advice to Seven is normal. But Seven isn't that kind of fabricator. They specialize in fit...down to a science. Mixing your "tweaks" and their super-secret-special fit/geo system doesn't jive with their whole approach.

It seems you were looking to Seven to be the kind of builder they haven't attempted to be. You can get that through guys like DeSalvo, Quiring, Walt, Wily, etc I'm sure.

Told them to "shove it" eh?

Skeeler, yep, it's a tall bike and I'm a relatively tall dude at 6'6.
    I told Seven, I want a bike that fits me, but doesn't require 30mm of headset spacers and a 15 degree stem to make it work. I want "10mm of spacers max and a zero stem." Bam, done. And the thing rails. I love it.

I'm loving the Toupe. I have it on my SS and put 12 hours on it a few weeks back. It's a bit firm but the shape is just lovely for my rear-end.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    My Seven is excellent in build, fit and finish. It is exactly what/how I wanted it to be.
    (my dog isn't as impressed....)

Padre,

Why would you have such a sweet bike built with 650ís?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Padre,

My goals were the opposite, but my experience was the same. I've always had trouble getting low enough standover with a long enough top tube. Additionally, I have to be careful with stock frames to ensure I can get the bar low enough. Seven designed and built me a frame with a 46-cm seat tube (center-top), a 54.5-cm top tube, and, IIRC, a 10-com head tube. The result is a bike that fits me like no other I've had. Of course, this is my only custom frame, so I cannot compare the fit results to those of another manufacturer.

Everyone else,

Seven was very responsive to my questions, and they even made a change to the design after sending me the geometry for my approval. I'm surprised to hear that others have had unpleasant experiences with them. I would recommend them highly to anyone willing to lay out the rather large amount of cash required.

ali'i hua
    seven was great to work with on my 29er Duo. I'd definitely do it again for another bike. when in the building process, they were extremely responsive to all of my stupid questions, and I had many considering that I've never owned a full springy bike before and that the only bike geometry i'm familiar with was on the two singlespeeds. the bike was built up by myself, and with their reccomendation for headset spacers (short HT due to reba dt clearence), the bike was a perfect ride and fit the first day on the trail.

to top it off, I might lose this bike to my dad. why? his ellsworth is near the end of its life and he wants to build up a FS 29er next. I'm gone to hawaii for 10 days with my wife later this month (thanks to the mom-in-law!!!) and he said he was going to steal it for that time. great.

the only downside i can see going with seven (or any other Ti bike mfger) is that the price of ti has gone up. I inked my seven right before the price change and saved myself some serious coin- nearly enough for the wheelset on the bike (king hubs and all).
    ]

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't own one but Sevens are very common with the local group.The only fault I have heard with Seven is that they listen to well to the customer and sometimes the geometry gets screwed up as they try to meet what the customer thinks they want. Local shop does a great fit and most could not be happier and I admit to being a little jealous.

Mmmmmm Beer!
    I have a Verve 29er and a id8 road bike. Both fit great and ride awesome. Just make sure your measured properly.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    Padre,

Why would you have such a sweet bike built with 650ís?
    hey now!

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

Experiences with Seven Cycles

This Singlespeed gets more love than my new Pivot Switchblade:
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Members who have read this thread: 35