Experience with the Halo 29er wheelsets?- Mtbr.com
    banjo plunker, wrench

Experience with the Halo 29er wheelsets?

I've got an Anthem 29er 2 on order from Giant to use as a test mule demo for the coming year. I'm going to be changing out parts as needed, and one of the first things to go will be the wheelset. I'm going to run the Halo 29er wheels and probably Nevegal 2.2's....Please comment on the Halo's if you have had any experience with them. Thanks!

p.s. I decided to mount up some WTB Wolverine 2.2's with Stan's in Schraeder tubes. They look pretty good, and stiff as well!
    Last edited by swaneedawg; 08-16-2010 at 06:28 PM.
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i can only comment on the Freedom 29er rims as I have them laced up to XT hubs.

i will say these rims are bomber and with that comes a bit of weight so if you're weight conscious, maybe these are not the best options for you. if you are around the 200 lbs weight range i think these would work great for you. i have had them since May and love the stiffness and glad i don't have to worry about them at all.

i kept reading about the sketchy Halo hubs so that's why i went the XT hub route, some have had good experiences with the Halo hubs but I just didn't want to risk it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've got the Freedom disks on my SS- front is a Hope hub, King SS hub out back. I dont know what they weigh, but they are bomber. I run them Tubeless with Stans strips, and a variety of tires (Weirwolves, Saguaros, Mountain Kings, Jones ACX, maybe a couple others)

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Freedom 29 here too, built on Hope Pro 2 hubs on my WFO. They have been fantastic.

JMH

banjo plunker, wrench
    Thanks all, they will be great I'm sure...they sure do look brick for sure! I'll be posting some pics and review of the Anthem 29er 2 when mine comes supposedly mid-September. I keep on waiting on the Trance 29er X any time now!!!

mtbr member
    I am running the Halo Spin Doctor hubs on my Karate Monkey. They have been nice and fairly durable. I have replaced the front hub bearings once in the year of riding them (mostly winter riding for what that's worth.) The hubs are convertible to all kinds of axle configurations which is also cool. Not a bad hub for the money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have run the Freedom Disck wheelset on my two Niner RIPs for a year, before upgrading to something ligther when I bought a new fork with Q15mm.

the wheelset has been absolutely hassel free, and has not been in fore service or straigthening. Its a heavy wheelset, but its bullet proof (Well so far for me). I have no bought 15mm adapters for the front hub. So they are now going into winter riding duty.

So I feel the wheels are great value fore money.

mtbr member
    Hi,

What is inner width of Freedoms?
    Because Halo website is telling only 28mm, that I gus is outer width...

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanMTB
    Hi,

What is inner width of Freedoms?
    Because Halo website is telling only 28mm, that I gus is outer width...

Cheers!
    I.
    21mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have been riding the Freedom Disc wheelset (the ones built by Halo on Spin Doctor hubs) for about 10 months. They are a little heavy and the freehub is a little loud. I bought them used and very cheap because the freehub body was cracked. I bought and replaced the freehub body from Universal cycles for $40 in fall 2009. The replacement freehub body was nearly dry when I got it (so was the old one), so be sure to lube it - that is the only part of the hub that has loose bearings rather than cartridge bearings. Not sure of the durability of the freehub body.
    They seem to stay true.
    Also the same tire mounted on these rims are several mm wider than on WTB speeddisc rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -5150-
    21mm

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

mtbr member
    If you want a similar deep v rim, then the Velocity Chukker may be an alternative. I have them. I almost got the Halo Freedom's which are the "same" as the DS28's from Syncros. The Chukker's are 24mm (an archived MTB rim when MTB rims were 24mm regularly - I think Guitar Ted or Shiggy confirmed the 24mm standard back in the day). They look tits and can mount up 29x2.25's at least with no probs. I'm gonna test the 2.4's which I assume will also be no problem.
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

is buachail foighneach me
    Freedom Disc rims here, for aggressive xc and endurance stuff. I weigh 205ish. They're bomber. Never have to true em. I always get overbuilt wheels to avoid truing them. Look cool too.

mtbr member

The jury's still out on the hubs...

There's a thread about those Spin Doctor Pro hubs here.

Now this is pure speculation, but I'm guessing there's probably not a huge number of these 'Pro' model hubs out there in the wild (yet). Nowhere near the market-share of (say) Hope Pro II's, DT 240s, to name just a few. Just saying nobody really knows how durable these things are. Having said that, I'm stoked with mine, and plan to buy another set.

To the OP, if you do choose Halo 29 wheelset, pls let us know how they go.
    Brisbane, AU

banjo plunker, wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by hootsmon
    There's a thread about those Spin Doctor Pro hubs here.

Now this is pure speculation, but I'm guessing there's probably not a huge number of these 'Pro' model hubs out there in the wild (yet). Nowhere near the market-share of (say) Hope Pro II's, DT 240s, to name just a few. Just saying nobody really knows how durable these things are. Having said that, I'm stoked with mine, and plan to buy another set.

To the OP, if you do choose Halo 29 wheelset, pls let us know how they go.
    I've already got the Halo "Freedom" disc wheelset from BTi...I am pretty sure they have the cartridge bearings in the hub...except for the freehub body...I also decided on the white ones....I'll post a pic as soon as the weekend gets here! I mounted the WTB Wolverines tires to the wheelset. I've been running the WTB Weirwolves, and love those tires, so I'm expecting great things from the Wolverines...traction, not hype!

I'll keep everyone posted on this thread with all the updates as they come together!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    sweet, looking forward to pics

mtbr member

halo hub

I built a 07' model Halo rear hub on a stan Arch and have abused it to no small degree. Surprisingly it has held up great. It weighs in a few grams heavier than a XT but cheaper. I would buy another halo, just lighter.

mtbr member
    I have a new pair of 32h "29r" rims from Halo in black. The finish looks very durable in matte black, metal eyelet reinforcement and the unbelievable 480g weight for a 26mm wide rim. Any feedback on the disc hubset I should build into a wheelset? Was leaning towards R45, what about the Paul Components? Also, any feedback on the difference in weight between a Sapim CX-Ray black vs Sapim DB14 black spoke build, both with brass nipples (every day wet weather commuter wheelbuild).
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

Members who have read this thread: 0