Exiwolf 2.3 tires on Bontrager Mustang TLR wheels; wtf?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Upset Exiwolf 2.3 tires on Bontrager Mustang TLR wheels; wtf?

Has anyone experienced issues with mounting WTB Exiwolf 2.3's on a Bontrager Mustang TLR wheel?

I tried to mount these tires on my wheels this evening, but I can't quite get the tire bead to properly seat with the rim hook; there's about a 6" section where the tire bead is low into the rim. I discovered (only after receiving the tires today) that WTB suggests a minimum 21+mm hook width for mounting these. I'm pretty sure that the hook width on my wheels is 19.2 mm. I checked WTB's web site, but there is no mention of any special hook width requirements .

Anyone have any tricks or tips to offer, or am I pretty much S.O.L. on this one? Oh yeah, I'm running tubes, for now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Soap and water around the bead and a little more pressure. Should hear a nice pop.

mtbr member
    what cross4 said. Find a small spray bottle, fill it with dish soap and water, and spray it all over both sides of the tire. Pump up to ~40 psi and it should pop into place. If it doesn't pop on its own, grab the tire from the side with both hands and push the tire back and forth

Members who have read this thread: 0