mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Excellent bikes or excellent PR ?

I'm Planning to replace current bike (Enduro 29er).
    I noticed a lot of hype & buzz around PIVOT bikes.

I'v read some reviews and watched a few vid's on Youtube (Trail 429, Switchblade) that praised and glorified them. On the other hand, I found other reviews that described these 2 models as very good bikes, but were not that much enthusiastic about them like others did.

Are these 2 models really such an outstanding and exceptional bikes or maybe it is a good bike manufaturer that has excellent PR that makes all this buzz?

Thx, Mo.

mtbr member
    They are very good bikes along with another dozen+ manufacturers that make very good bikes. However, there aren't many trail oriented bikes that are going to blast downhill chunk like an enduro 29'r. That certainly reigns in the selection of very good bikes some.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    I'm Planning to replace current bike (Enduro 29er).
    I noticed a lot of hype & buzz around PIVOT bikes.

I'v read some reviews and watched a few vid's on Youtube (Trail 429, Switchblade) that praised and glorified them. On the other hand, I found other reviews that described these 2 models as very good bikes, but were not that much enthusiastic about them like others did.

Are these 2 models really such an outstanding and exceptional bikes or maybe it is a good bike manufaturer that has excellent PR that makes all this buzz?

Thx, Mo.
    You can say that about any brand even you current one. Some people loves some don't. Best to go out on a demo ride and decide for yourself.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's very difficult to demo these bikes. Probably one out of a hundred sales are to guys who've demoed 4 competitive models. So hype sells. Add the Offering to your list.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yeah, I guess that hype sells, but I don't care about hype! I want to be sure I get the best bike. I don't want to pay lots of $$$ and find out after a while that I'v got a hype bike that is not perfect for me.

For example, is the Switchblade so much better than SB130/The Calling/Hightower? Does it have something unique that all other bikes don't have? The Trail 429 is a way better than The Following/Tallboy/Jet 9 RDO and others?

I havn't had a chance to demo any PIVOT yet. Demoed a Tallboy, Fuel EX 9.8 and liked them both.

Mo

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I want to be sure I get the best bike.
    No such thing. As soon as you accept that, you'll be much happier!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    There is no best bike.

Depending on who you ask that has demoed those bikes, you will probably get different answers about which bike is better. Differences in kinematics, tuning, geometry, components, etc that are a negative to one person may be a positive to another person with different goals, skill level or riding style.

mtbr member
    If you want to find the best bike for you, you need to ride them. There is no marketing, reviews etc. that will replace real trail time on a bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, I guess that hype sells, but I don't care about hype! I want to be sure I get the best bike. I don't want to pay lots of $$$ and find out after a while that I'v got a hype bike that is not perfect for me.

For example, is the Switchblade so much better than SB130/The Calling/Hightower? Does it have something unique that all other bikes don't have? The Trail 429 is a way better than The Following/Tallboy/Jet 9 RDO and others?

I havn't had a chance to demo any PIVOT yet. Demoed a Tallboy, Fuel EX 9.8 and liked them both.

Mo
    You don't seem to understand one very basic concept- What is best for me is not always best for you.

Why do you think there are so many designs. I've bought bike based on reviews before and sold them not long afterwards. I've tried to learn the likes and riding style of different reviewers. That helps a little if you can find one that has similarities to you.

But all that said, nothing is going to replace a demo ride. Depending on where you live it may be an easy thing or it can suck trying to get one.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    If you want to find the best bike for you, you need to ride them. There is no marketing, reviews etc. that will replace real trail time on a bike.
    The crappy part of it is most of those demos aren't fine tuned in the suspension for those riding it. That takes time and testing. But it's better than no demo.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post

This. Two bikes that apple identical on paper (or a screen...) will feel nothing alike on the trail.

Every manufacturer has a different idea of ideal. No way to know you're getting the right bike unless you ride 'em.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    This. Two bikes that apple identical on paper (or a screen...) will feel nothing alike on the trail.

Every manufacturer has a different idea of ideal. No way to know you're getting the right bike unless you ride 'em.
    This!

I recently demoed the Pivot Trail 429, Ibis Ripley LS, and Giant Trance 29 back to back on some pretty gnarly trails. All three are fairly similar on paper but feel completely different. Personally I was not impressed with the Pivot, it was a good short travel 29er, but that is exactly how it rode. By contrast, the Ibis and Giant rode like bigger travel bikes through the chunk without giving up anything on the climbs and flats.

mtbr member
    I demo'd a bunch of bikes last year including a couple of Pivots, I ended up buying an Evil Insurgent, on a close out deal last December, and I am very happy. The other bikes that ended up on my "I'd be happy with list" were the Giant Trance, Giant Reign, Salsa Redpoint, and Santa Cruz Bronson. Lot of good bikes out there.

mtbr member
    Moving to a Switchblade or 429 is a pretty radical move compared to an Enduro 29. What are you trying to accomplish by going with shorter travel?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Moving to a Switchblade or 429 is a pretty radical move compared to an Enduro 29. What are you trying to accomplish by going with shorter travel?
    I'm almost 3 years on my 2016 E29er, which replaced my 2014 E29er (both comp spec).
    Yeah, I like these bikes but now I want a lighter carbon bike with updated modern geo.
    The Switchblade and Trail 429 share almost same figures (chainstays, BB height, WB ect), so I have to decide if I'm staying with a 140/150mm travel 29er or maybe going down to a solid 120/130mm 29er for less aggressive trail riding (getting older every year, have to take care ).

About 3 years ago I rode the Ibis Ripley on Moab trails. I liked it very much and I will try to demo the Ripley LS and the Ripmo. just like Pivot - Ibis, SC, Yeti, Evil are making very good bikes but making much less buzz and hype than Pivot.

So, I will try to demo a few bikes, 120/130mm, 140/150mm, Pivot and of course other brands and find out which feels the best, and if Pivot's buzz and hype is justified or more PR oriented!

Thanks guys for all your words and thoughts
    I guess it's homework time for me now.

Mo

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Pivot is an awesome brand with industry leading quality. Are other brands as good? absolutely...

But pivot bikes look like works of art up close. The DW-link is super sorted and will be just as plush as your endure (given the same travel) and pedal much better. The down side will be the pedal kick back that comes with high anti squat numbers. Not an issue for me as I donít climb techy stuff.

More important than any of that though is the geometry. Pick a brand/bike that has the geometry/travel you want and go from there. All things being equal I would choose pivot every time (ride one now) but my next bike will not be a pivot.

I feel like pivot is always a year or two behind on geometry. All their new enduro style bikes bikes (29 Firebird, 5.5, Mach 6, switch blade) all still have pretty slack seat tube angles for the style. New bikes with 76-77 degree seat tubes and long reach just work so much better for pedal up and fly down riding.

The ripmo stood out to me as the best bike I have ridden to date. It does not look near as nice as the pivots (imo) but unless pivot comes out with bikes that have steeper seat tubes I am moving on to other brands.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    OK, great question.
    Bikes these days like lots of stuff are a competitive market.
    The sticker is just to pretend to be great.
    My mountain bike is great. I bought it about 1.5 year used.
    I would have paid twice the price with most stickers on it.

Around here demos are a total joke.
    Bike poorly adjusted try 20 min and buy.
    I am 61 not 16. They treat me like a 16 year old you give keys to a new car.
    They are so dum i will not waste 1 more minute there.

I buy used so after a month i can resell for close to what i paid, it is like renting.

If like me you have crazy long legs you will love my bikes.
    You will hate them if your geo is different.
    We have different playgrounds and personal preferences so it is a search to fill our needs.
    And the reviews are never negatives when they are adds buyers so do not believe that bullshitt.
    You call that PR, well it was called lies when i was much younger.

mtbr member
    As other have mentioned Pivot makes great bikes. 429 Trail and Switchblade are very solid bikes, but it is very hard to say they are the best. Every rider has a different set of trails they ride the most and a different style and riding purpose. The reviews that state they are good mean to me it worth it to consider them. You have to read between the lines on some reviews and determine how it relates to your riding. Even then the best thing to simply go out and ride them.

Years ago I was on my old Aluminum 26" HT. I did demo of Pivot LES 29 and 429SL. I did these on section of trail I knew well and I have to say while I liked the 429SL it was not a "wow" bike. Especially at the price. Same for LES. A few months later I found for great price a used Santa Cruz Highball and one test ride on that gave me the wow factor. Not really sure why. A couple years after that I demoed a Giant Anthem 29. Really surprised me and I liked that bike alot. However there were a few factors that I did not like. That did drive me to looking at 100/100 FS XC bikes and after some review on features, reviews and demos I bought a Specialized Epic. Right bike with right performance and features for my needs. Strangly I have friend with a new 429SL and she feels she is faster on her Intense Hard Eddie SS. Some of that maybe going back to gears and FS and some maybe that the 429SL does not have the "snap" it could (same thing I felt).

In the end these Pivots are not bad bikes at all, but "best" is really hard to say. I do have friend with a 2014 E29 and he loves it for most of his riding, but he admits it is a beast and more freight train rather than sports car nimble.

If you do a demo make sure you have a plan. Things to test/review consider as you are riding. You can use strava to gauge times if that is a factor.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Happened upon this thread by chance. I have recently sold my 2014 sworks enduro 29. We were almost a perfect match, and before that I had enjoyed several other specialized bikes - an Epic and Stumpjumpers. Last year I was writing a test article for a local mag, testing bikes like SC bronson, Spec Stumpjumper, Scott Genius, Trek Slash, Pivot Switchblade, Norco Range, Giant Trance, etc... Of all the rides, though they were different categories, I liked the Switchblade the most, because it was extremely enjoyable and capable for the amount of travel it offers. After a year the Firebird 29 came out and after some more testing I have decided to give Pivot a shot after 20 years of Giant, Spec and Trek. The Firebird 29 came in 2 weeks ago, I can confirm it was the right choice.
    Just before I was riding the Switchblade again for 2 weeks, so I drew some comparison to my old Enduro 29 - The Switch was more fun, more "all purpose", better climber, and a great descender. Not as capable as the E 29 for shredding, obviously, its a different bike, but the difference was mostly on the gnarliest of trails, bigger drops and jumps. So... in less that 20% of my riding spectrum.
    The Firebird 29 is all that it claims to be. This is my personal experience.
    Here in the EU, Pivot is barely known and its promo hype doesn't reach us. But bikes are great and the word is spreading fast.

Someone wrote earlier - there is no such thing as the best bike or bike brand. True. You have to find the one that suits YOU best with its character and learn to ride it well. That bike then, is the best bike for you.