Evolution, sb95, tallboy ltc, wfo, sultan, others?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Evolution, sb95, tallboy ltc, wfo, sultan, others?

Sell me on which one is better than the others. Looking to purchase a frame very soon.

Looking for 29er, 140mm up front, ~120+mm in back. Not interested in Specialized, so fanboys stay out lol.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What is your budget? That should narrow it down a bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Kona Satori and Transition Bandit 29
    I'm looking at both myself

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    budget... for frame is about 3 grand, which should cover just about anything other than a sworks specialized or a ti moots, which im not interested in anyways.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I thought about this earlier this year and I ended up with a WFO9. I'd pick it again since I like the bike a lot, it handles well and is very confidence inspiring downhill. What surprised me was how well it pedals, which makes it good for accelerating out of corners and climbing (at least for a 32 lb bike).

I also liked the look of the Transition Bandit (nice short chainstays and a slack HA).

You may also want to consider the Lenz bikes and the Tracer 29 (though I've read mixed reviews on that bike). Of bikes that should be available soon the Ibis Ripley looks interesting, as does the Banshee Prime and I was just reading about the new Ventana El Capitan.

All of these bikes look good but they all have slight differences which will suit some people better than others. So it's a bit hard to say which is "best"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    o wow, that ripley is nice for sure

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I love my Turner. This is my 3rd one. Great company and by far the best service I have ever received. Not as light as some of the other options but the feel and quality of the bike more than make up for the little extra weight. The geo is perfect to me with a 140 on the front. If you want a bike you are not going to see or pass every time you are on the trail this is the one. The DW link is perfect for my style riding as well.

Desert Seeker
    +1 for the Transition Bandit 29. I rode a second generation Niner RIP9 with 140mm fork for two years before I switched to the Bandit. The Bandit just feels better to me because of the geometry and seems to be stouter/stiffer. I think it is the slacker HTA and short cockpit that make it so competent on the downhills. Also feels more natural to pump over the humps/bumps. I also demoed the SB95 in Moab and, again for me, the suspension was not to my liking as much. Geo is very similar to the Bandit though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd say try to ride a demo bike of the frames you're interested in.

Everyone rides differently and wants/likes something different from their bike. You could buy a frame that 99 out of 100 on here rave about, build it and hate it.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I agree to ride and demo the bike, but in TX we don't get many demo's and not many shops sell anything other than specialized.

mtbr member
    You're looking at a fairly good variety of high-end frames, each has its plusses and minuses. At this price point though, I would say they are all about equal in overall performance. X might be a better climbing frame, but Y is lighter, and Z just fits a little better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i just cant get away from the sb95, that bike looks so insanely awesome. I've ridden it as well as the tallboy c so far. I'd really like to ride a rip9 or wfo9 before i go buy something.

mtbr member
    I've got an SB-95 on the way, so I'll toss in a vote for that one in addition to my comment above.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Salsa Horsethief!

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by morphosity View Post
    WFO9 Lenz bikes and the Tracer 29 (though I've read mixed reviews on that bike)
    these bikes are always going to get mixed reviews, the fact is that these are more bike than most people know what to do with. They require a fair amount of manhandling. Of the bike choices the OP listed I'd say Tallboy LTc is the winner.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRoots View Post
    budget... for frame is about 3 grand, which should cover just about anything other than a sworks specialized or a ti moots, which im not interested in anyways.
    Wow, OK that solves things! I would look at how you ride and see what you can/can't live with. For instance, you can't put a water bottle in a good spot on the Banshee Prime, Tallboy LTc or Yeti SB-95 which would be a deal breaker for me, but maybe not you. I still can't break free from a bottle for those longer rides with sports drink and the shorter 2 or less I like to go with one big bottle sans pack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This:

Deadman Summit:

28lb Sultan (size L) - fits a water bottle - descends anything I can handle - climbs great.

Ride it, like it....

Have fun picking a bike.

Trail Ninja
    You need to specify your height, weight, riding style, trails, budget, and how much you are willing to invest in maintenance and any other preferences, such as component specs (wide bars, shimano, fox), bike weight, color, carbon/alu, etc.

Without that, people can only only offer shot in the dark statements like it's hard to be disappointed with the SB-95 (with race/XT package), unless it somehow breaks.

orthonormal
    I'd drop the Evolution from my list immediately. 72 degree head angle on a 5" travel bike? No thanks.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    No love for the Tallboy??

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Right here, I love the Tallboy, light, fast, stiff, and looks flat out sick!

Underskilled
    Just asking the obvious question, but how tall are you, how much do you weigh and assuming you are aiming for an AM catagory. What is your definition of AM?

For me the WFO is spot on, but I'm not you.
    If you are a heavier rider then it is hard to beat, but if you are only 150lb, then probably not unless you are riding hard.

Give us the info to advise.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Evolution vs. Tallboy Etc.

I love my TBLTc, its still new so I'm still finding my limits on the bike, For me the LT has the quick acceleration ,easy turning, great climbing of the orig. TB, but the BB is higher and the steering is more relaxed and stable. I think all the bikes your looking at have a sweet spot where they perform really well, The LT for me climbs extremely well and descends even better and is just generally a blast to ride. I find myself looking for more difficult lines than the the other riders just to amuse myself. If I were younger and healed faster I would be logging some serious air time. My mostly XT build is in the 27lb. range with heavier tires. You need to ride the bikes even if you have to travel to a demo day, or the best deal is to attend Outer Bike in Moab .

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    im 6'2 230-240, clyde for sure. I have all of the components already. mostly x0 stuff with bunch of carbon stuff. Thanks for the responses guys.

tg
    mtbr member
    Sultan or Satori = big FUN!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I demo'd a SB95 and Tallboy LT back to back and the SB95 did it for me. I can still throw it around in tight stuff the same but it is sooooo fast. For me the Tallboy LT is a little unresponsive as a guy from SC said it is built as a 29er nomad which is no bad thing but I prefer some feedback on the trail for those snappy singltracks.

As always horses for courses. Demo them as I had made up my mind on the Tallboy LTC before the demo. Really its worth the effort as sizing on 29ers can also be a minefield.

Chilling out
    I have just under 500 miles on my SB95, that I picked up 6/3...and that's including basically two weeks off riding because I was sick. Up, down, over, smooth and buff, chunky, you name it, it makes me smile.

The *only* complaint I have about it is that the rear-tire to front-derailleur clearance is only about 8-12 mm, with a 2.2" tire (Maxxis Ikon or Geax AKA TNT). I could fit phatter on there it'd not leave me any mud-room. Or I could go 1x and have room for pretty much any 29er tire made. If I still lived in TX I'd probably go 1x (34t or 36t front with 12x36 on the back).

That's my nickle worth. If you want to see more of what I have to say about it please check the Yeti forum, cheers.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Rdo
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post

The *only* complaint I have about it is that the rear-tire to front-derailleur clearance is only about 8-12 mm, with a 2.2" tire (Maxxis Ikon or Geax AKA TNT). I could fit phatter on there it'd not leave me any mud-room. Or I could go 1x and have room for pretty much any 29er tire made. If I still lived in TX I'd probably go 1x (34t or 36t front with 12x36 on the back).
    So lets say a Hans Dampf or Ardent 2.4" would be a mm or two away set up geared or do you think it would rub?

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    So lets say a Hans Dampf or Ardent 2.4" would be a mm or two away set up geared or do you think it would rub?
    The Ardent 2.4 would have like 4-6 mm to my derailleur. I think it'd fit and so long as conditions were dry it would be pretty fine. I don't have any experience with the HD so I can't say for that.

I have measurements on Flow rims that I can compare from my current rear tires and the Ardent, which is what I base the above on (I'm running Flow rims F&R).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have Ardent 2.4 on mine front and rear - no problem not measured the clearance but have covered 100k in muddy conditions

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've got a new SB-95 and I'm in the middle of a 2 week vacation in the mountains of Washington! Logged 100 miles this week and am loving my bike! For this trip I've been running Ardent 2.4 both front and rear. For the riding I'm doing the high volume 2.4's rock. Evolution, sb95, tallboy ltc, wfo, sultan, others?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1342481224.740070.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I just finished this decision myself

I rode most of the bikes you're looking at and agree that the SB-95 is a sweet rig, but comparing it to the TBLT is okay, to the TBLTc not quite. you drop serious weight (5.3 lbs with rear shock) and it's just a rocket sled! I thought the TBc was maybe very slightly quicker on tight trees, but otherwise I'd say the TBLTc was right there with it and then point it down and it rips! The Satori was a dog. All in all there are so many super fun bikes out there, you gotta log some dirt miles on em before you pull the trigger. Good luck, have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I picked up an SB-95 after months debating the same question. It's awesome! To me, it's just as playful as my 26er but with much more confidence in cornering and much less bobbing when standing and mashing (coming from an FSR). I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of those bikes but the SB-95 does it for me. It whispers to me in my sleep and I daydream about it at work. Is that creepy?

Chilling out
    Sounds normal to me Seeds.

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by glucose

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    welp, im about a week away from making my decision. Right now it's between a sb95, evolution and a tallboy ltc. The evolution is on the list cause a friend will sell me his brand new frame for 1300 and his brand new hope /stans flow rims for 300

mtbr member
    He's probably selling it cheap to get a SB95 or Tallboy LTc

I'm currently in love with my LTc. I had a SB95 for awhile but the lighter weight of the LTc pushes it over the edge for me.

Trail Ninja
    Does that show how good the Yeti alloy is, to be more comparable to a competitor's carbon frame rather than their alloy frame?

Would be interesting to hear reviews on the alloy version of Tallboy LT, to show how it's not really the geo and suspension that makes it that great alone, and how the frame material and how it's ride tuned plays a big role in feel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    actually, he's selling it to get a s works hardtail..!?!?!? i'd get the ripley if they'd ever come out with it though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For what it's worth prior to my SB95 purchase I demoed a TBlt. I very much enjoyed the bike and it navigated tight lines with was, was very plush and cornered extremely well. I did however notice a lot of pedal strikes. After recently riding 300 plus miles on my SB I have NO regrets. At this financial comportment all bikes will be great. To me, personal preference drove my final decision. Evolution, sb95, tallboy ltc, wfo, sultan, others?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1343873519.988339.jpg

Trail Ninja
    You posted that pic twice in the same thread. Funny.

How about a shiny new pic? SB-95 in size small fresh out of the box.

Rare to find small sized frames that look this good.

Not sure how it'll look or how much it'll weigh with my complete build I have planned for it. Better wheels, stem, handlebar, brakes, saddle, + pedals and dropper post to offset the weight savings of the better parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evolution, sb95, tallboy ltc, wfo, sultan, others?-p1010190.jpg  

mtbr member
    I personally preferred the plusher suspension on the TB LTc and Banshee Prime over the SB95 for my personal tastes.

That being said, I will definitely try out a SB95c when they become available

aka bOb
    I was back and forth between the LTc and the SB95 the deciding factors where the weight and price and for $250 more I got the LTc and 2 lbs less of weight. Just built it up and in came in right at 25.5 lbs with pedals. Not bad for a 5.5" travel 29er! I was really hoping for a sb95c but then again the price probably would've been around 3 grand. Going to hit the trails tomorrow with the Ltc and see how it performs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I was back and forth between the LTc and the SB95 the deciding factors where the weight and price and for $250 more I got the LTc and 2 lbs less of weight. Just built it up and in came in right at 25.5 lbs with pedals. Not bad for a 5.5" travel 29er! I was really hoping for a sb95c but then again the price probably would've been around 3 grand. Going to hit the trails tomorrow with the Ltc and see how it performs.
    curious what your build was for 25.5lb LTc? That's about 3 lbs lighter than the stock SPX kit...

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by doctapow View Post
    curious what your build was for 25.5lb LTc? That's about 3 lbs lighter than the stock SPX kit...
    I can post pics later but here it is.

Med.frame LTc
    I9/Arch wheelset
    XTR 970 groupo (I know old school)
    XTR Trail disc brakes with formula rotors
    Ritchey Superlogic post
    Salsa pro moto carbon bars
    Fox 34 float 140mm
    Crankbrothers stem
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Specialized Phenom saddle
    Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (soon to be a Nobby Nic in the front)
    XT pedals

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice build, post a pic.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Nice build, post a pic.
    Sorry crappy pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evolution, sb95, tallboy ltc, wfo, sultan, others?-ltc-weight.jpg  

Evolution, sb95, tallboy ltc, wfo, sultan, others?-ltc-2.jpg  

Trail Ninja
    That's a pound lighter than my blinged out '10 Superfly 100 with practically full XX on it, and top end components.

All the weight on my bike is in the tires and wheels, + dropper post and platform pedals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I can post pics later but here it is.

Med.frame LTc
    I9/Arch wheelset
    XTR 970 groupo (I know old school)
    XTR Trail disc brakes with formula rotors
    Ritchey Superlogic post
    Salsa pro moto carbon bars
    Fox 34 float 140mm
    Crankbrothers stem
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Specialized Phenom saddle
    Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (soon to be a Nobby Nic in the front)
    XT pedals
    yeah, that's nice and not weight-weenie crazy either.

the stock wheels/tires in the SPX AM kit must be where the big savings can be had.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sorry crappy pics!
    That is nice looking Tallboy! I love the LTc, what are your impressions so far?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    wepl guys, I didn't listen to anyones advice lol. Buying the evolution from him this weekend. The price was too good to pass up. If I don't end up liking it, i'll keep the rims and sell the frame and get a sb95

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    That is nice looking Tallboy! I love the LTc, what are your impressions so far?
    Very limited saddle time so far only about 3 miles. I did find out that the VPP suspension really grows when you get deep into it. Goodbye xtr shadow Der oops not enough chain. Also I have it set up as a 3x9 with a bash so really a 2x9 and didn't really care for the chainline so I moved the 2.5mm spacer on the bb to the non-drive side and it seems much gooder. I know it might be kinda stupid but I'm actually racing it tomorrow for a six hour race. Last weekend I did a 12 hour race on my Epic, now I switched most of the bits (except fork) over to the LTc and ended up a pound and some change lighter. So can a 135mm bike out of it's realm be competitive? I know a lot of the other racers and where I usually sit in the lap times and I guess we will see.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRoots View Post
    wepl guys, I didn't listen to anyones advice lol. Buying the evolution from him this weekend. The price was too good to pass up. If I don't end up liking it, i'll keep the rims and sell the frame and get a sb95
    You'll like whatever you buy but just don't ride a Sultan. Buyers remorse is a *****!
    Nothing to see here.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA View Post
    You'll like whatever you buy but just don't ride a Sultan. Buyers remorse is a *****!
    Yea, save riding the Sultans, Tallboy LTc, or SB-95s for at least a year or two after playing around on your Evolution, or it may just cut your initial new bike hype short. You'll be lusting after a bike before too long if you don't get what you wanted from the start. If anyone bothers to remember, we'll say we told ya so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just received my Tallboy LTc today. After riding a Tallboy C for a couple of months and loving that, I'm surprised how much I like the LTc even more. Santa Cruz is on a roll right now.

Trail Ninja
    Looked up the Evolution and what Ellsworth had to say about and how the suspension worked and looked up what Yeti had to say about their SB suspension and did a little research beyond that.

Ellsworth Handcrafted Bikes (clicked on ICT and watched their infomercial)

Ellsworth tries to make it so that their suspension says active all the time, yet lose very little energy from pedaling, following the principle that the instant center stays as close as possible to the average chain torque line, which explains why Ellsworth uses such ridiculously long walking beams. The instant center on the SB-95 uniquely hovers right next to the eccentric lower pivot point, which is also pretty much on the average chain torque line as well. If such an ideal is considered "ideal", then Yeti has also nailed it. Can't say the same for VPP.

If DW Link, VPP, and other* dual short link principles are considered "ideal", with anti-squat figures being tuned a specific way, optimizing axle paths and chain growth to reduce bobbing and increase suspension efficiency and effectiveness to offer a stable pedaling platform with maximum traction and control, then Yeti also nails it. The SB-95 also maintains about 110% anti squat in the middle ring, 125% in the granny, and 60% in the big ring, offering a rearward axle path (SB-95 just slightly less rearward and less steep than Sultan, but a lot more rearward and steeper than the TB--not sure about TB LT), but taking step further than the others with the eccentric switch motion, which limits pedal feedback after a certain point deep in its travel (DW Link and VPP are notorious for pedal feedback). The SB-66's switch is even better at it than the SB-95.

Yeti's SB-66: Mountain Bike Preview | Bicycling Magazine

I liked the Sultan and it was the bike that made me really want a bike in this category, but I knew their were issues to be fixed before I'd get one (more about fit, price, and looks than performance) and the SB-95 happened to do just that. Now if the SB-95 were available in carbon, I bet it'd easily take a spot above the TB LTc, especially considering how the alloy SB-95 compares to it and how the SB-95's geo seems more new school (actually going with a short ETT to help tighten up the bike some more). Used to be that you'd use the extra traction to make up for the 29er's performance in the twisties, but extra traction + shorter wheelbase is even better. A slightly higher BB too, cause what use is a stable pedaling platform if you can't take advantage of it by pedaling through the rough (which would be too rough for hardtails), since you're worried about pedal strikes or losing your footing?

Now that I've said all that, I wonder what happened to that lawsuit that Santa Cruz filed against Yeti and Sotto Group for patent infringement. They dropped it all of the sudden, perhaps settling it out of court. Wonder if it is one of the reasons why the carbon SB-95 is delayed. Wonder if Santa Cruz rushed the TB LT out, in order to make money, knowing there were a lot of customers who cared a lot about weight and wanted more travel that was tuned to be softer than the original TB, before the SB-95c could take the crown and run away with it. Kind of funny how Santa Cruz's own bike really doesn't fall under the VPP patent anymore (counter rotating links with S shaped axle path). Lots of counter rotating links out there, but Intense's version of it seems more true to the patent in regards to the axle path.

I might sound biased, but the SB-95's switch suspension really is technologically better than the competition. It even won Mountain Bike Editor's Choice for it's category, which the Sultan won the year prior. I think the short passage bicycling used was a bit modest, as the stiffness, ride quality, geo, and components on it are more than great, it's like stand out awesome as soon as you get on the bike. I would ride it stock if I didn't already own blinging parts which I got for my previous bike.

2012 Best Mountain Bikes: Editors' Choice Winners | Bicycling Magazine

Interbike 2011: Yeti SB 95

People are praising the SB-66 here and there, but lots of people are truly impressed by the SB-95, even when compared to the SB-66:

First Ride: Yeti SB-66 and SB-95 - Bike Rumor
    A Biased View of Big Wheels | Think Turquoise

* Can't group all the dual links up, as I know Maestro and CVA work on different principles, both going for minimal pedal feedback and more pedal neutrality, with Maestro taking anti-squat into consideration and CVA not. ICT doesn't take anti-squat into consideration either, both CVA and ICT opting for more active suspension, over reducing acceleration/pedal induced bobbing.

Basically, every suspension system has differences, prioritizing some characteristics and compromising on others. Like what was said in the Bicycling article on the SB-66 and the Switch platform, it does seem like the SB-95 takes more into consideration, with the least amount of compromise. Of course, many will say to ride before you buy, but who's blessed enough to have demo events stop by so often, sometimes having demo events with multiple brands coming together at one spot, for one day to ride and compare on real trails, like this event at Big Bear, a lift serviced mtn bike destination (Ellsworth, Intense, Crank Bros, with Turner's tent hiding in the back to the left of the CB tent, and shops like The Path bringing their demo line of Specialized and other bikes).

Opps, sorry for posting this after you already bought your Evolution. You probably read the pro reviews of it and know the ups, and particularly the downs, of what you're buying. You sort of helped a friend too--seems like help, until the buyer's remorse sets in and you start bugging him about it. He could just sell it to someone else and be no worse off, and you seem like you're after something more.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 08-04-2012 at 12:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Like I said, I'm getting such a good deal on this frame that if I don't like it, it'll be going for sale and i'll be getting the sb95 without taking a hit on it. I'm just coming off of back surgery (4 weeks ago) and I've gotta take it easy on the rides anyways. I've test ridden the evolution and the sb95.. while i do like the sb95 more, i dont hate the evolution. The evolution turns like a beast! That's great for me coming from 26ers, one of my greatest fears of moving to 29er was being able to slice up the switchbacks like on the 26er. I'm not trying to say the evolution is better than the sb95, just that it's a much better deal for me and it's a no lose opportunity since I can easily get my money back on it after several rides and go buy a sb95 frame. Hell, I might not even like 29er over time, wouldn't that be a tragedy if I bought a brand new frame and then got stuck with it?! I'm actually really concerned that 29er rims might not stand up to the abuse i put on bikes...see sig

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    People are praising the SB-66 here and there, but lots of people are truly impressed by the SB-95, even when compared to the SB-66:
    I recently had a chance to ride the SB-95 and the SB-66 side-by-side on the same trails, same day. Both were spec'd out with similar components (XT build, Fox fork/shock, etc.). I started with the 95 (first ride ever on a 29er) and was blown away from the get go. It had a similar feel to my 26er but did everything better. It was the first time I've been on a demo bike that didn't take a few miles to get used to. It just felt right from the start. I then rode the 66. While it is a nice ride, I found myself wanting to get back on the 95. Even though the 66 is lighter, it didn't climb nearly as well as the 95. Same for the downhills. With the 95 you just point and shoot. It rolls everything in its path.

I have since been on a Tallboy LT, Tallboy LTc and a Sultan. I'm probably in the minority here, buy I wasn't blown away by the Tallboy. I found that I was sitting higher up on the bike vs. the Yeti. Also, the Tallboy LTc felt flexy to me compared to the AL version (was expecting the complete opposite). I'm planning to demo the 95 again on a 35+ mile ride before I pull the trigger. May have to get back on the Sultan again as well (close 2nd at this point to the 95).

Also, one thing I noticed across the board during the demos I've been on lately is that Shimano is now killing it in the disc brake department. The XTs are better than anything I have been on before. The XTR brakes on the LTc felt identical to XT - no reason to spend the extra $$. I'm planning to keep my 26er after I buy a 29er and will be replacing my Avids with XT.

Trail Ninja
    Have the same impressions that you do, Biopace.

I love Shimano's new levers too. I have some very lightly used Formula R1s and I think I'd rather sell them than to use them in place of the XTs. I know I'll regret come time to bleed though, as I like the cheap DOT4 fluid and I'm accustomed to the syringe and bleed port style of bleeding.

I love Shimano's shifting too. Only wish their shifter levers felt as solid as SRAM's. Too much play and the release trigger even has a molding seam on it. Somehow feels like a lighter plastic too, compared to the old 9 speed ones. SRAM uses a more dense plastic and boxes out the shape, leaving the back open, while Shimano seems to make it out of a solid low density plastic and puts an ergo touch on it. Yea, I guess I'm spoiled by SRAM trigger shifters. Shimano has them beat on the multi-release and the push-pull release though. I would say I miss gear indicators (developed a habit of looking between my legs to see watch ring I'm in up front), but I'm thinking about going 1x10.

Need to wait for ebikestop to get the 32T Renthal SR4 ring in first and get a guide. With how much I spent on a MRP 1x and Bionicon C Guide v.02, I could've just got an E13 LG1+ for a little more, but then would've had to bought ISCG tab add-on. Can't use a bash guard with the MRP 1x and I've turned big rings into bash guards by riding at twilight without a light and plowing over rocks. Hmm...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I love Shimano's shifting too. Only wish their shifter levers felt as solid as SRAM's. Too much play and the release trigger even has a molding seam on it.
    As the shift lever is plastic you can easily remove the molding seam with sandpaper for a smooth finish.

I ended up customising my left hand Shimano Deore XT trigger by cutting most of the plastic 2-way trigger off with a hacksaw. The remaining shortened trigger is a much better fit for the new style Shimano brake levers than the original design.

Members who have read this thread: 1