Evil Offering vs Pivot Switchblade V2 vs Ibis Ripmo V2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Evil Offering vs Pivot Switchblade V2 vs Ibis Ripmo V2

Looking to see if anyone has any insight/experience riding two or (highly unlikely) three of these bikes. Currently have a short travel 29er (Following MB) and am looking to include a mid travel 29er. Have always been an Evil fan but the new Ripmo V2 has really caught my eye.

I realize people might be intrinsically drawn to certain bikes aesthetically speaking, but I am curious if anyone can compare their ride characteristics?

I am a relatively aggressive East coast rider (tight, rocky, rooty single track) and as I mentioned before, am looking to add one of these whips to the fleet.

Any insight would be helpful!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just wondering since you're a Evil fan, why not replace the Following with an Offering and just have one?

No experience with Evil, but every review I've read of the Offering says there just no point in getting a Following instead.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup. Should have done exactly that. Got sucked in with the MB closeout price.

In the end it'll cost me.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    There are a few Ripmos running around Patapsco as well as The Shed. Post on the Patapsco Mountain Biker page and Frederick Watershed. Personally I run the V4 Ripley built up a little and it does great everywhere in PTAP and about 85% of the shed. The Ripmo would be awesome with a little overkill in some areas.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ride More - Suffer Less
    The Fmb compared to the RipmoV2 is HOOG difference,

Unless your looking for a completely different feel..

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Hisforever
    Short answer: You cant go wrong, pick the one you feel u will like the most and dont look back.

Long answer: Evil vs Ibis comparison i can give... have had following v1 and some others, picked up an offering recently. demoed a v1 ripmo for some background.

that ibis really pedals well, pretty much as good or better than the sb130lr i have for sale.
    down the ibis felt fast and ready for whatever, but something wasnt right for me. cant put my finger on it (weird stock bar & bend?) I slammed lowsiding a berm which i have nver done so i was bummed and wrote it off. that said, there is one coming for the Mrs. who is mellow and completely happy w her v3 LS ripley.

The offering rips, and is very comfortable for me as i have gelled with pretty much all evils in the past and present. Currently have a calling also, it rips, is fast, qwick, super fun. The Offrng doesnt pedal up as well as the ibis. It IS better than the following but not fast like ibis and yetis tend to feel. however it makes up for it pointed down imo.

You can tune them all. All 3 are killer. The Pivot looks semi Turner esque and I would really like to try. However the mach5.5 i owned turned me off unless its a smoking dealio. i'm picky but thought i would share. good luck.

Ibis Ripmo -wifes
    Scout
    Saturn St
    G1
    Yz 250x - no ebikes

mtbr member
    Not quite the same bikes but I've gone from a Turner RFX and a V2 Ripley to an Evil Offering and couldn't be happier. Like SHAFEB said, the Offering doesn't climb as well as the Ripley but what else does? The Offering is super fun descending. I'll still grab the RFX if things are burly but the Offering slots in there nicely on trails where the Ripley was out-gunned. For example, Sedona.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    Short answer: You cant go wrong, pick the one you feel u will like the most and dont look back.

Long answer: Evil vs Ibis comparison i can give... have had following v1 and some others, picked up an offering recently. demoed a v1 ripmo for some background.

that ibis really pedals well, pretty much as good or better than the sb130lr i have for sale.
    down the ibis felt fast and ready for whatever, but something wasnt right for me. cant put my finger on it (weird stock bar & bend?) I slammed lowsiding a berm which i have nver done so i was bummed and wrote it off. that said, there is one coming for the Mrs. who is mellow and completely happy w her v3 LS ripley.

The offering rips, and is very comfortable for me as i have gelled with pretty much all evils in the past and present. Currently have a calling also, it rips, is fast, qwick, super fun. The Offrng doesnt pedal up as well as the ibis. It IS better than the following but not fast like ibis and yetis tend to feel. however it makes up for it pointed down imo.

You can tune them all. All 3 are killer. The Pivot looks semi Turner esque and I would really like to try. However the mach5.5 i owned turned me off unless its a smoking dealio. i'm picky but thought i would share. good luck.
    I think the Achilles heel for all Evil bikes is climbing. But going down is super fun. My Wreckoning is the same.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Trek X-Caliber 8
    2019 Evil Wreckoning LB

mtbr member
    May 2018
    That yum yum guy on youtube posted a comparison yesterday of the new Switchblade vs Ripmo. In a nutshell overall he preferred the Ripmo but felt the Switchblade climbs better and is sturdier. Sounds like they are both excellent but forced to make a decision he preferred the handling and less stiff ride of the Ibis. Heís 5í8 and 140# for perspective.

I was considering both of these bikes as my two favorite bike shops carry Pivot, Evil and Ibis, I chose the Switchblade last week, as a big guy I feel like he confirmed that I made the right decision. I prefer a stiffer platform and climbing performance is probably my top priority for a trail bike. I find the Pivot by far the most aesthetically pleasing too, as a bonus, this wasnít really a factor in my decision though.

He did comment that the Ibis pricing is better. Not necessarily the case. For example on an XT build itís $250 cheaper but on a full XTR build itís $300 more expensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    He did comment that the Ibis pricing is better. Not necessarily the case. For example on an XT build itís $250 cheaper but on a full XTR build itís $300 more expensive.
    To be fair on the Ibis XTR build you're getting Enve Bar, Stem and Float X2, not the DPX and CC headset.

So the Pivot saves you a little but it's by using in house parts and lesser shock.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I know, it works both ways depending on the build. On the lower end builds you get the higher end derailleur and DT Swiss wheel set on the Pivots as opposed to the house brand Ibis aluminum wheels.

For what it's worth I asked Pivot about their impressions of an X2 on this new frame and I was told that most of their riders actually are preferring the custom DPX2 that they've developed for it over the X2. I was going to upgrade to an X2 as the DPX2 typically isn't a good shock for heavier riders but sounds like I need to give it a chance.

Also worth noting that he tested the Pivot with the Fox live valve suspension, which is an electronically controlled Fit4 damper in the fork and DPS shock as opposed to the Grip2/custom tuned X2, hard to say how that effected his ride impressions of it one way or the other. I don't think many people will be opting for the live valve suspension and quite frankly I'm really surprised that they're even offering it on a bike like this. This may have made the Pivot climb better but be less plush/forgiving. Hard to say but it's all we've got for now so take it for what it's worth.

I look forward to more comparisons coming out where the suspension is more apples to apples, and with some larger/taller riders to see how the perspective changes not only on stiffness but where the Ibis' slightly steeper seat tube angle (and 4mm longer chain stays) may be more of an advantage for climbing. Both bikes look to have a fairly good actual seat tube angle, fairly straight from the down tube and they both start close to the bottom bracket but the numbers of the ETT looks like it's still going to be pretty accurate reflection for tall riders who have the seat post extended high.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The following is probably a fun bike in Ptap. The Offering is a nice bike and would cover most of what you would ride within an 8he drive form you. I rode it in Pisgah and liked how it climbs tech better than the Ripmo but I haven't tried the new version which seems to have fixed what I didn't like. My wife got a Wreckoning because she prefers a slacker STA for MD but a 140/160 bike is enough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    The following is probably a fun bike in Ptap. The Offering is a nice bike and would cover most of what you would ride within an 8he drive form you. I rode it in Pisgah and liked how it climbs tech better than the Ripmo but I haven't tried the new version which seems to have fixed what I didn't like. My wife got a Wreckoning because she prefers a slacker STA for MD but a 140/160 bike is enough.

I agree. The MB absolutely rips in Ptap but I was wanting something slightly more when riding the shed or visiting family in Pisgah. I appreciate the feedback from people regarding my initial post. Think I have it narrowed down to the Evil and the Ibis.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I would say try to demo if possible, even if just throwing a leg over one at the trailhead.

Only thing I can add to this is that a size M switchblade felt more accurate, nimble, tight turning than my size L RIPLEY. Switchblade was mid level build and didn't feel much clunkier than my 25.5lb ripley. Sucks being between sizes. M Ibis bikes are too small, and L are too big. M switchblade felt just right. I just wish Pivot had dropped the Super Boost tho...

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jbuhl18 View Post
    I agree. The MB absolutely rips in Ptap but I was wanting something slightly more when riding the shed or visiting family in Pisgah. I appreciate the feedback from people regarding my initial post. Think I have it narrowed down to the Evil and the Ibis.
    My home trails are the Frederick watershed. This past fall I demo'ed the Ripmo V1 while I was out in Tahoe. I absolutely loved the bike, but I was concerned with the bottom bracket height if I were using it on the trails I ride in the watershed. When a friend and I saw the new Switchblade, be both thought that could be the perfect bike for our trails.

Note that we aren't doing the drop trails - I can't speak for the freeride stuff. We stick to stuff like Salamander, the Blue Trail, Skink, Vandal, Viper, Pit, Gambrill Park, etc...

For reference, my current ride is a 29er Hightower V1 with a 150mm Fox 36 fork on the front. I still get the occasional pedal strike, but it is definitely manageable. I also want my bike to have a decent pedal platform - I really don't like my bike sinking deep into its travel when I'm trying to grind through rock gardens - not only does it feel inefficient to me but it causes more pedal strikes.

I know this stuff all comes down to personal preference - just wanted to give you another data point for your decision.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    My home trails are the Frederick watershed. This past fall I demo'ed the Ripmo V1 while I was out in Tahoe. I absolutely loved the bike, but I was concerned with the bottom bracket height if I were using it on the trails I ride in the watershed. When a friend and I saw the new Switchblade, be both thought that could be the perfect bike for our trails.

Note that we aren't doing the drop trails - I can't speak for the freeride stuff. We stick to stuff like Salamander, the Blue Trail, Skink, Vandal, Viper, Pit, Gambrill Park, etc...

For reference, my current ride is a 29er Hightower V1 with a 150mm Fox 36 fork on the front. I still get the occasional pedal strike, but it is definitely manageable. I also want my bike to have a decent pedal platform - I really don't like my bike sinking deep into its travel when I'm trying to grind through rock gardens - not only does it feel inefficient to me but it causes more pedal strikes.

I know this stuff all comes down to personal preference - just wanted to give you another data point for your decision.
    The new Switchblade on paper looks great. Shorter chainstays and higher BB. I mostly ride the shed and Pisgah twice a year. I found the V1 Ripmo to sink when peddling through rocks. I also prefer a bike that can take a coil shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post

I ride the shed on my V4 Ripley. No issues on any of the trails you listed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I ride the shed on my V4 Ripley. No issues on any of the trails you listed.

Good to hear. I wish it was easier to demos with some of these bikes up there - I'm sure it would be really informative.

mtbr member
    I've ridden both the Ripmo V1 and Offering. The Ripmo provided zero bob on the climbs where the Offering has a slight bob and felt more lively providing more technical traction. At 6'3 the XL Ripmo fit a little small compared to the XL Offering. I chose the Offering for the "loves to party" feel and fit. I plan on demoing the Ripmo V2 very soon, but still absolutely in love with my Pushed Offering!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My current stable is a Transition Sentinel and Evil Insurgent v1.0. I just spent 3 days on a Evil Offering and was in love the entire time....and mine with equipped with mid-range suspension and wheels (compared to my rides at home).

The Offering offered planted and stable riding, along with being nimble when things got tight. What I really enjoyed about it was the ability to mountain goat up just about everything I encountered.

I am not in the market for anything at this moment, but I would be seriously considering the Offering with a Fox Factory 34 upfront and DPX2 in the Rear if I was.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Have there been any others who've compared these bikes recently? I'm 6'3"/225lbs and am on an XL Switchblade v1 currently. I've really liked this bike and am thinking about this purchase as a refresh/upgrade. It seems like generally (I'm painting with a BROAD brush) the Ripmo is particularly loved by rowdy riders that might be a bit smaller, the SB is loved by big, strong riders that appreciate the climbing and the stiffness without giving away much on the downhills, and the Offering is loved by hooligans. Am I wrong?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    this is exactly the stuff i ride: shed/deep creek/big bear and trips to sedona and moab and exactly the bikes i'm looking at. i demo d the offering at big bear and it was incredible. then i demod the switchblade at deep creek and it was so good! gonna demo the revel rascal next week at big bear. i'm 5.7/160. any shops you guys would recommend in md/pa/wv area? new thoughts after riding the bikes for awhile? my local shop sells only specialized and id like to try something different

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakmom View Post
    this is exactly the stuff i ride: shed/deep creek/big bear and trips to sedona and moab and exactly the bikes i'm looking at. i demo d the offering at big bear and it was incredible. then i demod the switchblade at deep creek and it was so good! gonna demo the revel rascal next week at big bear. i'm 5.7/160. any shops you guys would recommend in md/pa/wv area? new thoughts after riding the bikes for awhile? my local shop sells only specialized and id like to try something different
    I ride Frederick Watershed. Been to Big bear, I ride a Canfield Riot. The Revel suspension is the same and it's the best Tech riding suspension IMHO. Its very efficient, yet active. Which is great for rocky climbs and flat riding. I've test ridden the previous switchblade and Offering. Their great but not as good for what I ride. The Piviot is better if you climb a lot of gravel/fire roads by a little bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I ride the Shed a lot with a Ripley v4 with a Ext Storia v3 coil shock. The shock works wonders for tech climbing and the downs.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Any more insight on those bikes. Some reviews say pivot climbs better, some donít like it lifting front end
    I definitely prefer the fit of ibis and the x2 shock
    Pivots press fit and 157 rear make it tough to switch wheels and cranks

Will ripmo climb as well as ripley or will it loose its playfulness. From reviews it seems like switchblade might be in between ripley and ripmo

With no ability to demo this year it is a hard pick
    Im leaning towards waiting till next year when demo trucks are rolling again and you donít feel like you need someone to do you a favor to sell you a 7k bike