mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Evil The Offering vs Pivot Firebird 29

Hey all, if you had to decide between Evil The Offering and a Pivot Firebird 29 which way would you go? Being unable to test ride makes it a bit challenging. Does need to be a rad all round bike that can do trail riding to enduro/all mountain stuff. The firebird seems to get mixed reviews that it can happily do everything, while some indicate it's more only suitable for gravity riding.

I know some would say the wreckoning and firebird might be more equivalent comparison. But the geo of the wreckoning is getting a bit old school and am chasing something with the longer reach and steeper sta.

Keen to hear some thoughts!
    Cheers
    Joel

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Iíve only ridden the FB29 for about 3hrs, but I loved it. Itís a big bike thatís just fun to ride. Climbs really well for its size; wheel wanders only on super steep stuff. Plows through stuff on the downs....but light and enough to pop off stuff and have fun. Pivot did a really great job with the FB29.

Never ridden the offering, so I canít compare the ride, but... Not necessarily Offering related, but I think Evil is really shooting itself in the foot with their 3yr warranty. Although mfg defects usually show up within the first 3yrs, for a company with a history of mfg defects AND a history of consumer complaints about warranty issues, having the worst warranty in the business isnít confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    Iíd choose my riot or balance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've ridden a few big-travel 29ers and owned my E29. My opinion is that these bikes are "big" bikes that are at home doing very big descents. There will be places on those descents where the big wheels are a disadvantage and you have to pedal a lot more to make the gap or jump, and there will be places on the descents where you'll just be able to plow through sections and ignore wheel-catchers because of the 29" and travel. They are fun and you can ride them up, but they don't bend physics, bikes with that much travel beg for good sized forks and components that can stand up to what the frame can, and that all adds up to something that will be "a lot of bike" all the time you aren't on the steepest descents. The Offering will be faster on many descents due to this. These are also not the same-use models from the manufacturers, the switchblade would be the equivalent Pivot offering. It's nice to have a bigger plow-bike when you have more than one bike, using it for big descents alone, shuttle runs, park days, and some other stuff, but as "one bike" IMO it's overkill for a lot of riding and having ridden these kinds of bikes, I'd go with the slightly less travel unless I already had a shorter ~120mm travel rig.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pivot no frame only so it would be the Evil. Not buying full build just to replace some of the crap they decided to spec.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Knolly Fugitive LT . You're welcome...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Offering...I love the Geo on paper....and despite the good rep of the Pivot, Iím not buying a single manufacturer hub standard. Thatís a deal killer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Offering...I love the Geo on paper....and despite the good rep of the Pivot, Iím not buying a single manufacturer hub standard. Thatís a deal killer.
    Well it's not a single manufacturer standard. It's a 150/157 rear which has been around forever. The Super Boost name is just wider flanges, but any 150mm/157mm hub will fit.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Well it's not a single manufacturer standard. It's a 150/157 rear which has been around forever. The Super Boost name is just wider flanges, but any 150mm/157mm hub will fit.
    Okay, then single manufacturer on a trail bike then if that helps...meaning none of my current wheels will work, and wheels I build for it, if I had it, would be useless for anything else and unsellable, and no bike shop around here would even have one around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What have we become? Industry suckers?! Haha. Wreckoning old school? 142mm old school? Non boost old school? All of these things worked (work) perfectly fine but we have an industry and media telling us that this is better and better and better than this.

Get out. Ride your bike. Have fun.

Rant over.

Ps Iíd take the offering. Or ripmo. Hahaha

mtbr member
    or sb130?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by momanmatt View Post
    What have we become? Industry suckers?! Haha. Wreckoning old school? 142mm old school? Non boost old school? All of these things worked (work) perfectly fine but we have an industry and media telling us that this is better and better and better than this.

Get out. Ride your bike. Have fun.

Rant over.

Ps Iíd take the offering. Or ripmo. Hahaha
    No sh*t, my 142 wheels haven't flown apart or spontaneously exploded. And I'm still trying to figure out why I need "boost" front wheels...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    +! Knolly or perhaps RM Instinct.
    Both great climbers and confident descender.

Evil warrenty issues have thrown me off of them but your miles may very.

mtbr member
    Not sure why you've picked those two bikes, if you'd be happy on the Offering then the Firebird may be overkill (and vice versa). Sounds like you're set that you want more up-to-date geo (and why wouldn't you if you're dropping that sorta coin on a new bike) so decide how much travel you need and then look at Offering vs Fugitive LT vs SB130 etc, or Firebird vs SB150 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Okay, then single manufacturer on a trail bike then if that helps..
    No, it doesn't because it's not correct. More than one company adopting 157mm rear end as standard for trail bikes.

The perfessor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No sh*t, my 142 wheels haven't flown apart or spontaneously exploded. And I'm still trying to figure out why I need "boost" front wheels...
    word....
    Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL / Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post

No, it doesn't because it's not correct. More than one company adopting 157mm rear end as standard for trail bikes.
    Who is the other?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Knolly, Devinci

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman View Post
    Knolly, Devinci
    Okay, both of those companies use standard hubs/boost for what they call their trailbike....so, great point....not niche at all, standard wheels will fit because Knolly and Devinci jumped on board (but they didnít except for 1 bike each it appears, not their self described trailbikes). Really makes the point moot that every wheelset that people have will not work...great work there.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Knolly is moving all bikes to 157 eventually.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Knolly is moving all bikes to 157 eventually.
    I think they all are now.

But they are ugly

WillWorkForTrail
    I've never ridden anything from Evil, but I did get a chance to take a Firebird 29 out yesterday. It was a lot of bike. Heavy compared to my XC stuff, but the heavy part was all I noticed climbing. I'd have never guessed it had as much travel as it does, no really pedal bob, I didn't feel like it was holding me back. It wasn't as fast as my XC bikes (of course, I was on XC trails mostly) and while it wasn't hard to pop off stuff with it, it took more effort than my stuff. If I had more suitable trails for it, I wouldn't be against having a bike like the Firebird.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    double post

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Pivot no frame only so it would be the Evil. Not buying full build just to replace some of the crap they decided to spec.
    I just bought a firebird frame through my local pivot dealer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by deserat View Post
    Very few LBS are going to strip a bike, get stuck selling the parts just to offer someone a frame only. Consider yourself lucky.

All of that does not change the fact that Pivot does not offer it as a frame only.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Very few LBS are going to strip a bike, get stuck selling the parts just to offer someone a frame only. Consider yourself lucky.

All of that does not change the fact that Pivot does not offer it as a frame only.
    The bike shop didnít strip it. It came directly from Pivot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The bike shop didnít strip it. It came directly from Pivot.

They also had a deal where you could select other individual parts including fork, headset, bottom bracket, or seatpost. All through pivot, without buying a complete bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Is it a Firebird 29?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Coming from a Pivot Switchblade with 27.5+ tires as my trail bike I was looking for a long travel 29er that could be more park / downhill focused, so naturally when the Firebird 29 showed up at my LBS, I caught my attention. I ultimately went with an Evil Wreckoning LB because I wanted to custom build and run a coil shock. I couldn't be happier with the Wreck. It does exactly what I wanted it to do, which is plow through rock gardens and take the gnarliest lines with confidence. I'm now looking looking to sell my Switchblade and get the Offering or wait until Evil updates the geo on their Following. I know I can run 29s on my Switchblade but once once you've tried the DELTA single pivot design on the Evils, there is no going back to the dw link. It is by far Dave Weagle's best suspension design.

I think the Wreckoning is a better comparison to the Firebird 29. The Offering is the bike you want if you are looking for a mid-travel trail bike that can also handle bike park with ease, and is super playful & poppy, and also climbs well. Coming from a Pivot, although they are probably faster, they just feel more planted and dead, making them not as much fun to ride as the Evils.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TrashPanda View Post
    Coming from a Pivot Switchblade with 27.5+ tires as my trail bike I was looking for a long travel 29er that could be more park / downhill focused, so naturally when the Firebird 29 showed up at my LBS, I caught my attention. I ultimately went with an Evil Wreckoning LB because I wanted to custom build and run a coil shock. I couldn't be happier with the Wreck. It does exactly what I wanted it to do, which is plow through rock gardens and take the gnarliest lines with confidence. I'm now looking looking to sell my Switchblade and get the Offering or wait until Evil updates the geo on their Following. I know I can run 29s on my Switchblade but once once you've tried the DELTA single pivot design on the Evils, there is no going back to the dw link. It is by far Dave Weagle's best suspension design.

I think the Wreckoning is a better comparison to the Firebird 29. The Offering is the bike you want if you are looking for a mid-travel trail bike that can also handle bike park with ease, and is super playful & poppy, and also climbs well. Coming from a Pivot, although they are probably faster, they just feel more planted and dead, making them not as much fun to ride as the Evils.
    Hey I have neither DWLink or an Evil but what are some more of the pros/cons of the Delta vs DWLink? Always cool to hear from guys that have real (non-demo) experience with both.

As far as do-it-all bikes, the RM Instinct is insanely nice. I built a custom 140mm one and it truly climbs VERY well. Its not ultra-plush going down but I like that its more playful with some pop. I have a 150mm Fox 36 grip2 up front as well. Now, a lot of these new 29ers are REALLY long, especially in the XL sizes (I'm 6-4) and I enjoy the more contemporary length of the Instinct as working through tight stuff and whipping some corners is just nicer than on something really long like the Ripmos, new Yetis, etc. There is no getting around the physics of a long ass bike working around a tight spot. I don't need the extra length for stability either, I mean these big wheels and tires already give you a pretty dang stable ride at speed. My laymans thoughts. One of the really unique things is that its super light unlike the others. My XL build with 2.4/2.5 DHR2 DHF tires, DPX2 shock, Fox 36 fork is only 29lbs on the dot. Other bikes in that size are pushing 31-32lbs iirc. My buddies XX1 Switchblade in a MEDIUM with the Reynolds carbon wheels is heavier than my XL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TrashPanda View Post

I dont know - slap a 160 fork on the offering, and you get a slacker head angle than the Wreckoning, a degree steeper STA, longer reach for each size, etc. I think it would pedal better than the wreck, be more playful, and be faster overall downhill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Hey I have neither DWLink or an Evil but what are some more of the pros/cons of the Delta vs DWLink? Always cool to hear from guys that have real (non-demo) experience with both.
    Although I have a Pivot with the dw link and an Evil with the DELTA, I don't know if I can make a fair comparison of the two linkages because they were built to be very different bikes. My Switchblade has a Fox X2 shock with 135mm travel and a Fox 36 FIT4 150mm fork, whereas my Wreckoning has a PUSH ELEVINSIX shock with 160mm travel and a Fox 36 GRIP2 170mm fork with PUSH ACS3 coil. I do find that the DELTA linkage provides for a firmer pedaling platform. Even with that much travel and the coil in the open position, I have a stable pedaling platform, whereas the Switchblade, if I don't put the X2 in the climbing mode, I will start bobbing when I pedal.

When I get the Offering, it will be set up with an air shock and a 150mm fork, which will provide for a better comparison between the two linkages.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I think the X2 on your blade might be a little off or something. I've ridden the blade with the dps shock and it's REALLY efficient, even when out of the seat. I do know that guys like the x2 on that bike tho (espn with ac3 fork). Damn your evil sounds like a true wrecker in all its glory tho lol. Have fun, I'm a jealous lol but don't ride hard enough to do something like that Evil justice.

mtbr member
    I hope not, really happy with 148