Evil Offering Review- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Evil Offering Review

Hi all,
    i recently bought an Evil Offering and since there seem to be only limited real world rider reviews to be found, here are my thoughts and experiences.

My last three bikes have all been Santa Cruz; the original Carbon Blur, then the Carbon Blur TRC, then the Carbon Nomad Version 3.
    I kept the Blur TRC as a backup bike and despite the Nomad being an amazing bike, I felt recent advances in travel vs efficiency were justification in buying a new bike and applying the classic formula of max number of Bikeís = N+1.

I loved the Santa Cruz VPP suspension and my trusty Nomad reliably took all the downhill punishment I could muster over the years. The only time it felt under gunned was Whistler. But...it did have a bit of a efficiency sucking squish in the middle of its travel, so I wanted a bike to fix that issue. I had also ridden Maydena and Blue Derby in Tasmania, Australia on my backup bike, the old Blur TRC, and was impressed at how well the lighter, smaller travel 26Ē bike could still rip in gnarly terrain. The 26 inch wheels also reminded me of how nice it was to have a bike that could change direction in time with my over extended heartbeat.

So my search criteria was for a bike with enough suspension to bomb down rough tracks, be relatively efficient, have a lightweight manoeuvrable disposition but still feel plush. I had also read enough about modern 29ers to pique my interest and embrace their long avoided calling. Bonus points would be a threaded BB, good cable routing and a the ability to carry a water bottle.

There are so many amazing bikes out there and after a long process, which ended up being a lot more technical deliberation than test riding, I came up with a shortlist of just 3 bikes.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Devinci Troy
    Evil Offering
    I test rode the current Troy in an urban environment. I loved the look of it but felt the rear end was a bit outgunned by the amazing front. It did not have a piggyback shock and the seat post angle was a bit old school. Sweet bike though. I then rode the Ripmo for three days around my local trails. The longer I rode it the more I loved it, but when I finally handed it back, despite everything that was amazing about the bike, there was something missing for me. After a few days of musing as to why one of the best reviewed bikes ever was not lighting my fire, I decided it was because it was a bit too firm and a bit too railed. It lacked the Nomad squish I loved and to me it felt like a 29er. I went back to my LBS to discuss the Evil Offering and it just so happened they had a frame out the back, in my size, about to be sent back. It had been ordered when there was still stock to be had, but had arrived the wrong colour. I agonised over buying a bike unridden, bit did anyway, trusting in the process I had followed, what I had read and the uncanny coincidence of the situation I faced.

The shop built it up for me and from the moment I threw my leg over it I knew I had made the right choice. It felt light, efficient, had a squishy rear feel, and rode more like a 27.5 than a 29er. I put the 150 Lyrick fork on the front (red) and the frame came with the Fox factory DPX2 shock. I swapped the stealth black decals on the black frame, to red decals, got wheels with red Hope Hubs, Chinese Carbon rims and XO1 drivetrain. The black frame with red trimmings really looks sweet. I am 5í10Ē and every bike I have owned has been a large, but Evil recommend the medium, so medium it was. Perfect fit. Even with the 150mm fork, the rear feels like it could easily keep up with a 160 mm version, (geometry issues aside). Donít be fooled by the single pivot design and 140 mm of travel, the rear suspension on this bike is amazing, being both plush, planted and efficient enough. On long climbs I do flick the shock lever to trail, but thatís what itís for, right! I would describe this bike in its current form as a very capable trail bike, which suits me. Personally I cant envisage putting on a larger fork, but the potential is there, along with the Push coil shock. At the moment I love it just the way it is. The build kit came with a 150 mm Reverb dropper, (but would easily take a longer version) and Code RSCís which seem to work fine, if not a bit noisier than my usual Shimano brakes. The bottom bracket height also seems perfect, just a Titch higher than the Nomad. I have not bothered flipping the chips to the lower setting so far, perhaps one day in a bike Park I will give it a go, it just does not seem necessary.

A few of small points worth mentioning. The frame finish is fine, mine being Matt black, but the simple stickers for the decals are not going to win many friends, particularly once they start peeling off. However it does give you the option of tweaking trim colours etc, as I did, which is a prettty cool and unique feature. Secondly the inbuilt chain guard is one less thing to buy, but I wanted a 30 tooth chainring, which my LBS tried, but said rubbed, so it was back to the 32. The built in chainguard is..meh. Thirdly I noted when slogging uphill, in the Australian summer heat with sweat pissing out of every pore, it seemed to drip exactly onto the mess of bearings, flip chips and pivot bolts that envelop the shock. The placement of all this hardware, for me at least, seems to catch the sweat. That might be a longer term issue, we shall see. All this hardware also makes cleaning round the shock and bottom of the bike a bit more finicky. Also the positioning and smaller size of the DPX2 climb lever makes it a bit difficult to activate. I got my water bottle and threaded BB, but the cable routing is external. Whilst this is off the pace in todayís market, in my opinion it is better than poorly designed internal routing that rattles or frustrating and time consuming to install. The bike is quiet, and easily serviced.

This bike had everything I was searching for and one extra bonus that had never appeared on my radar, ... a really low standover height. It actually makes a pretty big difference, even if itís psychological, but is now going to be something else I scrutinise in the future. Good job Evil!

aka bOb
    Great write up!! I was also between the Ripmo and the Offering but being 5'9" sizing had me right between a large and a medium on the Rip with most saying a med will be a little small and I didn't want a large. Well it seems the med Offering is right between the two and without being able to test ride either bike I went off of sizing alone. Mine is heading across the county as we speak (frame only) via the little brown Santa and should be here friday. Pretty stoked but with 3 feet of snow on the ground yet it's going to be a bit till it sees dirt but it gives me plenty of time to get it built.

p.s. Post some pics when your post count allows.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Cross post this in the Evil forum under the Offering thread. Plenty of real-world reviews with many Ripmo and Yeti comparisons.

biking is fun
    I'm curious to hear your thoughts about the Offering vs the Nomad v3. I am currently riding a v3 but am looking to upgrade. I demo'd a Ripmo which was a ton of fun and handled things way better than I expected.

Specifically looking for how they compare when climbing, descending, and how lively it feels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hey Climbingbub,
    Itís the next generation in efficiency and geometry but strangely did not feel that much different to the Nomad 3. I hopped on it and immediately felt at home. It climbs better, and is almost as lively, the rear end feels as plush as the Nomad, with better small bump but not quite as much travel obviously, quite a trick they somehow pulled! Itís just as easy to get the front wheel up, (chain stay length?) is slightly more comfortable and feels if anything a bit lighter in most regards. Smashing down the rough, not a lot of difference either way, but definitely more planted in the corners. The Nomad 3 is an awesome bike, and I will hang onto mine, but I am definitely loving the new bike.

aka bOb
    Mine is a few weeks out from completion yet, waiting on Hydras.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evil Offering Review-20190317_142241.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Did the actual evil logo start pealing off? I may be the only one but I would see that as a feature for sure as my Financier is fine with me getting a new bike but it cannot say evil on it---

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Did the actual evil logo start pealing off? I may be the only one but I would see that as a feature for sure as my Financier is fine with me getting a new bike but it cannot say evil on it---
    The decals pull of pretty easy.

Rider On The Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Great write up!! I was also between the Ripmo and the Offering but being 5'9" sizing had me right between a large and a medium on the Rip with most saying a med will be a little small and I didn't want a large. Well it seems the med Offering is right between the two and without being able to test ride either bike I went off of sizing alone. Mine is heading across the county as we speak (frame only) via the little brown Santa and should be here friday. Pretty stoked but with 3 feet of snow on the ground yet it's going to be a bit till it sees dirt but it gives me plenty of time to get it built.

p.s. Post some pics when your post count allows.
    How did this work out for you? I'm the same height (32 inch inseam) and had the same problem with Ripmo you described. Medium is too small while Large feels too big. Did the Evil Offering hit the sweet spot for you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hey bdundee, M sizing was perfect for me, as suggested by EVIL.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsontime View Post
    How did this work out for you? I'm the same height (32 inch inseam) and had the same problem with Ripmo you described. Medium is too small while Large feels too big. Did the Evil Offering hit the sweet spot for you?
    Ended up being spot on!! I originally had a 50mm stem on it thinking it might be a little cramped in the seated position and it felt great but a few weeks ago just for sh!ts and giggles I threw a 40mm stem on it and I am really digging it. I like the lighter front end feeling on the jump lines with the shorter stem and seated still feels great as well. Been mostly running mine in xlow but with fall here we do a little more trail riding and will prolly put it back in low.