Enve w/9mm RWS vs Crest w/15mm fork?- Mtbr.com
    Formerly of Kent

Enve w/9mm RWS vs Crest w/15mm fork?

There's my dilemma. I'm 145lbs, building up a hardtail race bike. Really, it boils down to money. The 9mm fork would be cheaper; obviously a Crest would be cheaper than any of the carbon rim options. I can afford an expensive front wheel, with a "normal" front end, or a 15mm fork with a more flexible rim.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    There's my dilemma. I'm 145lbs, building up a hardtail race bike. Really, it boils down to money. The 9mm fork would be cheaper; obviously a Crest would be cheaper than any of the carbon rim options. I can afford an expensive front wheel, with a "normal" front end, or a 15mm fork with a more flexible rim.

Thoughts?
    I'm not following your numbers.

An $800 rim versus an $80 rim, and a closeout 9mm fork versus a good deal on a 15mm fork from Mtn High or Red barn.

The carbon/9mm setup is going to be ~$600 more.

I have no idea which would feel stiffer on the trail, and I think that could spark a valid discussion, but money-wise the 15mm/crest is in your favor, by a lot.

banned

expensive

Never riden a carbon wheel. However, at your weight is it really justafiable to spend that much more money?

Im on the scrawny side as well. 355's on Hope Pro 2's have been great for daily wheels. I can find better places to spend my money. Not to say that carbon wheels are good. I can simply live without them.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

Thoughts?
    If it's for racing, it's worth considering that the RWS takes a bit longer to remove/install, and the more anaerobic you are when you flat, the more counterintuitive that removal/reinstall seems.

If I were you, I'd build a 28h ENVE XC with uber light spokes, 2x. Gonna be a touch lighter and a whole world stiffer than a Crest with any spokes/lacing.

MC

Superflying on Haven
    I'm currently cooling down from a 2 hours ride on my new Easton Haven Carbon and I can't stop smiling...

Maybe it's just because of the endorphins or it's because I had blast riding these amazing wheels

Ditch the Crests

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    If you're buying a new wheel why wouldn't you get a hub that can convert to either standard?

Whatever extra money you have to spend to get a 15mm fork you'll get back when you sell it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Enve.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    What mike said, and what kosmo said.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    a carbon wheel that needs tape to run tubeless? no thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    a carbon wheel that needs tape to run tubeless? no thanks.
    what's wrong with that? the alternative is something with a sealed rim bed like the mavic 819 and it's heavier and you need eyelets to build the wheel. tape is light! and they use it in space! (where being a weight weenie goes to the extreme--- it's EXPENSIVE to get things up there!).

jms
    mtbr member

Quaadruple that

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    What mike said, and what kosmo said.
    From experience, I can tell you that the Edge/RWS 9mm route is more precise. The Edge/Enve is also more durable - over two years w/o any attention on bomb craters masquerading as mountain bike trails.
    My Favorite Peeps:

meow meow
    enve/ 9mm rws will be stiffer. but if your getting a hub that can run a 9mm rws presumably it can convert to 15mm qr. why dont you do that?

Team Awesome
    I know 15mm forks are stiffer, but I can't imagine they'd be that much "stiffer" (as in feel) for a guy your size I mean, I'm 200lbs and I ride a 9mm fork without any problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk View Post
    I know 15mm forks are stiffer, but I can't imagine they'd be that much "stiffer" (as in feel) for a guy your size I mean, I'm 200lbs and I ride a 9mm fork without any problems.
    They aren't. I've ridden a nice steel skewer and a fox 15qr back to back and noticed no difference. I'm also 145lbs +/- a couple.

Superflying on Haven
    Indeed there is no problem with a 9mm. Devil is in the details. The difference is very subtle. If you are looking for a " day and night" difference you'll be very disappointed. But if you are the type of guy who pay attention to little details you will figure out how better it is immediately and how it improves the ride quality.Otherwise 9mm is great.

Same remarks for aluminium vs carbon rims. It's excellence vs ultimate. Difference is small... but there is one.

Formerly of Kent
    I think another thing that I need to consider is the UST vs. NoTubes set up.

I've used Stan's rims exclusively for the last two years, and while I love them, I've rolled a few tires and burped at very unfortunate times. Obviously this can be solved by using a slightly higher pressure, but that sacrifices front end grip and small bump absorption to varying degrees.

Do those with the new UST Enve rims, and using the new crop of TLR/Tubeless Ready/whatever tires have any experiences with the tire burping in hard cornering?