emd9 or air9- Mtbr.com

Thread: emd9 or air9

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

emd9 or air9

I am brand new to the forum and was wanting your opinions. I bought a rip9 L and love it but was also going to do a HT build. My question is that I am 6'2 265 and was wondering if the air9 will hold up or should I go with a emd9 for the strength? Thx

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    I would've said Air9 no doubt. but given your height and weight, i would go on a sturdier frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So you would go with the emd9!

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    yes

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    What about the MCR?

mtbr member
    same chit different price.

Some will disagree with me, but IMO, its not worth the extra bucks. The frames are very similar and isn't noticable to most. Strength wise, the two are close enough and aren't really gonna be that different in terms of one breaking and the other not. (in other words, go with the EMD, and get some nicer wheels with the savings).

now when you go to the MCR, or Sir, those make a difference. May get flexy with your weight.

mtbr member
    I'm an owner of an EMD and I've never ridden a AIR or a SIR, but I"d say go for an EMD. I don't think you could tell the difference between the two aluminum frames especially if you go for front suspension. Ad in tubeless tires at pressure in the low twenties and a nice seat and you'd be guessing which is which. From what I've ready about them, I think a MCR will be too flexxy for someone your size.

You'll love the EMD; I do!

mtb remember
    I've owned all 3. You can tell the difference between the EMD and AIR9, and obviously the MCR is a different animal altogether. Depends on what you're looking for...
    Last edited by southy; 02-05-2010 at 07:05 PM.
    ~ May The Schwartz Be With You ~

mtbr member
    At your weight I wouldn't go with niner but with a company that offers a lifetime warranty. But that may just be me.

Members who have read this thread: 0