From EMD frame to either a Nimble 9 or Yelli?- Mtbr.com
    6BR
    mtbr member

From EMD frame to either a Nimble 9 or Yelli?

I'm seriously considering trying one of these frames after what Ive been reading lately...I'm 5'9 210-215lbs and ride a new EMD (med) frame right now, most of my riding is XC with 1-3' drops, so nothing crazy. My current frame is solid however Im not sure Im diggin my lack of stand over on the top tube anymore, its crammin the nutz when im getting off the seat to stand & relax. I'm long torso'ed & shorter legged like a wiener dog. Its also a tad harsh on the longer rides which I attribute to the fact that its a stiff alum frame. Its a great handling frame don't get me wrong but I find myself wondering the million $ question, would these 2 frames be a significant improvement in handling & feel over my EMD? I know it would be in stand over. Also looks like the yelli is kinda of picky on front chain ring sizes too? I run a 1x10 setup (32t) so I'm not too worried about that but its worth noting along with any other frame qwerks they might have if anyone can mention those. Ive ridden alum frames for a long time so I know what I'm getting with that. I do however miss the plusher feel of steel but not the weight. How do both frames compare to ride quality (aside from the obvious), weight and stiffness? Anyone in central Oh have one of these they'd be willing to let me look at and possibly try? All feedback greatly appreciated.
    A troll's day:1.Log on 2.Write sh*tty comments 3.Laugh 4.Notice dick is still small 5.Weep openly 6.Have mom make him a PB&J

mtbr member
    I am currently building up a Gen 2 N9. When it is complete it will be in the 26lb neighborhood so weight should not be too big a deal. My build is nothing too fancy as total cost is about 2200.

beater
    I'm similarly short of leg and long of torso, but taller. I've owned both a L EMD9 and a L Yelli. The difference in feel and handling will be pretty dramatic. The question will be what you see as an improvement. You mention you really like the way the EMD9 handles, but the Canfields won't feel that way at all. They don't have that XC geometry. When I switched, I went from a 100mm fork on the EMD9 to a 140mm fork on the Yelli, so it was really pronounced. If you're just moving parts from frame to frame, it'll be more incremental. If you do make the move, I would recommend not trying to mimic your current cockpit set up, though - the Canfield frames will benefit from a tighter cockpit and more upright position.

The short rear center of the Yelli means that it's great at climbing out of the saddle, but seated climbing takes some attention when grades get steep. It also means that the rear wheel just skips over bumps in a way that's hard to appreciate until you've felt it.

mtbr member
    I'd suggest trying to demo one of these before switching. There's a lot of praise heaped on the AM type geo bikes on this board, but when I tried a Nimble 9, I really didn't care for the way it handled. Kind of dull and sloppy.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

6BR
    mtbr member
    All good info..guess I wasn't thinking too much about the fact that these frames are more AM based in geo than XC.... Having said that I dont race XC but am more out there to have fun, jump, test my maneuvering abilities, Id love to demo but Im pretty sure there's nothing around this area for me to try at a shop.
    A troll's day:1.Log on 2.Write sh*tty comments 3.Laugh 4.Notice dick is still small 5.Weep openly 6.Have mom make him a PB&J

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I'd suggest trying to demo one of these before switching. There's a lot of praise heaped on the AM type geo bikes on this board, but when I tried a Nimble 9, I really didn't care for the way it handled. Kind of dull and sloppy.
    I feel the opposite of seat_boy about my Gen 1 N9 so yes, try to demo one where you plan to be riding it. You may feel differently than either of us about it.

I ride in some quick twisty single track and here it only seems dull and sloppy if I ride it that way. There are corners where I can lay it over and it feels like it picks up speed whipping through the corners. Unlike my prior bikes, it actually makes it around them like that.

I'm not doing huge distance, commuting, or anything like that. 9 times out of 10 it's out the door, about 3 miles to the park, about 10 miles of singletrack, and back home.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've made the switch from typical "XC" geo'ed bikes, the Monocog, Jabberwocky, Inbred, EMD over to a Gen 1 N9 and Kona Honzo. My Honzo is setup for "trail" and "all mountain" duties, while my N9 is my "XC" bike (not trying to open a can of worms with those terms). N9 has the 100mm corrected rigid fork and the Honzo has the 140mm fork. One thing not yet mentioned directly is the slacker head angles. I love to climb and so I got pretty good at it while riding the other bikes. However, I was usually the last one down. With the N9 and Honzo with slack fronts, I feel much more confident going down and with the small 1-3 ft jumps. With the steep XC bikes, I felt I really had to get far back behind the saddle to not OTB. However, there is a penalty on the climbs, but it's just been a matter or adjusting my technique. Also, the really short stays makes for tighter turning, and a lofty front end, which ultimately is preference.

As far as frame type, I honestly haven't noticed too much of a difference with the EMD and steel frames, but maybe it's because I'm a lightweight under 150. Honestly, I'm curious about the Yelli Screamy, which on the geo paper it's pretty much an aluminum Honzo with curved top tube, but about 2lbs lighter.

Curious what you end up doing so please update us.