Educated opinion please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Educated opinion please

I am a neophyte ss 29er with supreme addiction to this subculture of mountain biking. Been riding on/off since my first steel hardtail in '91 ( a Rocky Mountain Hammer...niice). Fifteen years later the passion has once again been ignited and this time its real different...29ers make it fun to again. My GF rig was my Christmas present for myself and now want to upgrade. Could I possibly put a 1st generation XTR crank on the eccentric BB? Will this older setup be a setback in terms of increased flex? My concern is that the square taper BB may be too scrawny for ss application...but the bling factor is old school cool! Looking to shaving weight and I think my wheelset will be the first to go. I weigh 160 lbs dry and I ride hard (depending on how much pakalolo, hehe) so wheel strength is critical. My stock Bonty hubs are wearing down in the rear so I will also need something tougher... which do you guys recommend? Finally, are there alternative EBB's available?

Thanks for the help, I'm new to this so I want to learn more.

no fat chicks
    i had those cranks on one of my bikes and they flexed so bad that sometimes they would hit the down tube
    i took them off bc i thought the flex was going to give me a case of the gout
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Ask over in the single-speed area what everybody recommends for SS cranks. 9 out of ten will tell you to run a White Ind. ENO crankset with a Phil Wood BB; a square taper setup.

As for those wheels, strength shouldn't be much of a concern. Those are pretty solid wheels, just not the lightest thing on the planet. If you want something stronger than the bontys, you'll have to shell out a lot of cash to find something that's any lighter. But I'll let the other guys throw in their two cents on that one.....I'm certainly no wheel expert. Ask Aquaholic what he runs. I've seen more than a few pictures of him launching his bike and landing in one piece.

No Justice = No Peace

Just my opinion...

I think wheel stiffness is a very big deal on a 29er. I am around 210 and I don't pack the redbud. I bought a set of those Bontrager wheels for my new 29er and I have to say, they are the flimsiest part of the puzzle. More than anything else, the build determines the quality of a wheel set. I have felt the difference between my earliest builds and my later, better builds. I am very mechanically adaept, but I am not a pro wheel builder, so I will probably spend the 75 bucks or so to get my bontrager wheels re-tensioned by Chris Robinson (Robinson Wheelworks in San Leandro,Ca. - Great Guy- excellent wheel builder. - No charge for the plug.)

I am saving up for a new set, and will likely go with a conventional spoked set up from Mike C, but those Industry Nine wheels are kinda tempting...

I am running XT outboard bearing cranks, and I would prefer a narrower set up. I had thought about the XTR off my old Bontrager, but Ireally want 180's. Square taper is fine, if the arms are good' and there won't be a problem with a good sealed BB in the Ecentric. If you like the XTR, use em.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Members who have read this thread: 0