Ebay Vs. MTBR Classifieds- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Ebay Vs. MTBR Classifieds

Tell me, why would someone use MTBR Classified's vs. Ebay? Not only does ebay have higher circulation, but the Auction format offers much more competition on pricing. The auction format will automatically provide sellers with a better opportunity to make more money off of parts we are unloading. Nobody here can deny that making more money on parts is bad. If anyone can provide a reason that makes "business sense" beyond the cliche' "Use MTBR classifieds to support a site that supports our sport," I will pull the 29er items I have on Ebay off and sell them here.

We don't need to see a bunch of posts here responding to the statement above. The reason, by using the discussions, reviews, and other features of the site we are supporting the site. If MTB REVIEW was meant to be a place to buy and sell parts it would have been called MTB CLASSIFIEDS

Finally, I see SPAM on this 29er board all the time. There are always postings that say "Look what's on Ebay!" Just because I make the decision to be honest and let users know that they are my items on Ebay, my spam gets booted? I am sure that some of those other posts are what we refer to as SPAM, its just that none of those other posters had the balls to be honest and responsible.

Finally, lets get this discussion rolling. Give me an honest objective reason that I should sell on MTBR and I will hold true to my word. I personally dig this forum, it gives me great ideas for product sometimes, if nothing else it keeps me from reading about death in the news.

mtbr member

Good thread!!!

Being I'm not a 29er rider, I don't look for it on Ebay. But I do look for alot of regular parts for 26 inch bikes on Ebay and buy alot on Ebay. Yes I do look at the classifieds her on MTBR, but you are right the competition and pricing as far better on Ebay. I have not seen any 29er parts on Ebay, again not looking. I think MTBR seems to be a dedicated 29er site/forum/classifieds area from what I can see. Even on PinkBike.com I don't see anything that sells for 29er bikes at all. The 29er community seems to be focused here . I think you might sell more 29er parts here then on Ebay... but then what do I know, I'm a 26er rider .

Denis

jl
    climb
    Read this....

http://www.mtbr.com/messageboard/pos...idelines.shtml.

Take a close look at #3...

mtbr member
    Any Spam without a MTBR classifieds link gets pulled by the moderator. It seems like you can get a good fair price on here for a $2 listing fee and freely spam a captive audience of sophisticated buyers, or deal with eBay and pay their fees and take your chances. Your decision.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I have read number three

#3. The message is an advertisement or spam.

I see a fair amount of self pro-claimed Spam and some non-proclaimed, as in the "Look what's on Ebay!" messages. If this rule is going to be followed, it must be all or none. As in no messages containing "Spam" of any sort, wether it be sold on MTBR or Not, wether it be sold by the poster or not.

It also depends on your construction of the word spam. If a reseller, or shop was trying to promote the sale of items here I would call that spam and consider it solicitation, like someone selling items door to door. I am just another rider looking to unload some stuff I don't need. Seeing as how I always see posts like "Does anyone know where to get those WTB Nanoraptors, who has them in stock?" I figured I would let some riders know I had some and unload them. Thanks for all of the replies, lets keep this a discussion and no personal attacks.

The Duuude, man...
    MTBR is a lot cheaper than Ebay.

Ebay has the insertion fee's: more than 2 bucks just about no matter what. Then they have "final value fee's" which is around 2.8% of the transaction amount.

Take my XTR shifters I just sold which were listed both spots:

Case 1 (MTBR):
    *1 ad, 23 items, $2 total

Case 2 (Ebay)
    :
    *Insertion fee $2.80
    *final value fee 2.8% * 150 = $4.20
    *total cost = 4.20 +2.80 = $7

MTBR the clear winner.
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    MTBR is a lot cheaper than Ebay.

Ebay has the insertion fee's: more than 2 bucks just about no matter what. Then they have "final value fee's" which is around 2.8% of the transaction amount.

Take my XTR shifters I just sold which were listed both spots:

Case 1 (MTBR):
    *1 ad, 23 items, $2 total

Case 2 (Ebay)
    :
    *Insertion fee $2.80
    *final value fee 2.8% * 150 = $4.20
    *total cost = 4.20 +2.80 = $7

MTBR the clear winner.
    Yesbut did you not get a quicker sale on Ebay then MTBR? Not causing problems here just trying to find out if people actually do buy from MTBR classifieds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Don't want this to be an ad for Ebay, but...

If you're paying 2.50 for an ad, its being posted wrong. E-mail me if you want to sell on Ebay and I will tell you how to reduce your costs. So, what I payed for the listing is .55. Let's say I make 20.00 dollars on the tire, and that's optomistic. 3% x 20 is .60 cents from ebay and then another 3% from paypal. That's a total of 1.75 after the auction is all over with that is taken out of my earnings. Close to the 2.00 here, but like our American founding father said "A penny saved is a penny earned."

drc
    annoyingly cautious
    Jan 2004

I purchased through classifieds

one complete 29"er, one frame/fork. The prices were fair so I didn't quibble. I've also purchased from Ebay. Either way is fine with me.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    Yesbut did you not get a quicker sale on Ebay then MTBR? Not causing problems here just trying to find out if people actually do buy from MTBR classifieds.
    In less than 24 hrs sold 2 items on mtbr, 1 item on ebay...

mtbr member
    In less than 24 hrs sold 2 items on mtbr, 1 item on ebay...
    Well I guess that answers my question then I have to post some adds on here too I have stuff to sell as well.
    Well I just tried to place an add but you need a credit card. Maybe hey should allow Paypal payments as well.
    Not everyone has plastic or believe in it.

mtbr member
    Heck from now on why not go with the signature box like everyone else?
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    Well I guess that answers my question then I have to post some adds on here too I have stuff to sell as well.
    Well I just tried to place an add but you need a credit card. Maybe hey should allow Paypal payments as well.
    Not everyone has plastic or believe in it.
    Paypal has an "debit" card that acts like a Visa Check card, but only accesses your paypal balance...you can use that as a visa anywhere...very tastey.

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    Heck from now on why not go with the signature box like everyone else?
    Actually, some members have already been approached about this, it is not allowed. Want-ads seem to be tolerated in special cases, where it concerns very specific items that are wanted. Don't quote me on this. I'm however pretty sure that for-sale ads in signatures are not appreaciated by MTBR.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by JMKM
    I see a fair amount of self pro-claimed Spam and some non-proclaimed, as in the "Look what's on Ebay!" messages. If this rule is going to be followed, it must be all or none. As in no messages containing "Spam" of any sort, wether it be sold on MTBR or Not, wether it be sold by the poster or not.

Seeing as how I always see posts like "Does anyone know where to get those WTB Nanoraptors, who has them in stock?" I figured I would let some riders know I had some and unload them. Thanks for all of the replies, lets keep this a discussion and no personal attacks.
    The "Look what's on Ebay" is very often a conversation topic, not SPAM. These posts are often informative/entertaining and point out new scammers or scamming issues. Your all or none suggestion won't do anyone here any favors. It's very simple, if you want to post an ebay add, just pay the $2 for an MTBR add.

As far as this goes, "Does anyone know where to get those WTB Nanoraptors, who has them in stock?" , I'd say its cool to say that you have some and ask them to contact you off the board. You aren't advertising that way, simply responding to question that someone has thrown out.

I use both MTBR and ebay. If its a high end frame or complete bike, I'd likely go MTBR. If it's a seat or a crank, I'd go with ebay. For 29" specific stuff, I'd try MTBR first.

bike geek

It depends on what you're buying or selling

Depending on what I have for sale or want to buy, I'll choose one venue over another. I find I have better luck on MTBR sourcing parts specific to either SS or 29er, usually due to the fact the seller has posted a link to their ad in the appropriate forum. Best example of this was the White Bros BW.8 fork I bought the other day from a fellow 29er. He wanted to sell it fast, knew his price, and who his audience was, and sold it within an hour of posting his ad. I was happy because I didn't have to wait 5 days or a week for an auction to end, I got what I was looking for, at a price I could afford. Win/win. I do check eBay for 29er stuff, but have never once seen anything worth bidding on.

On the other hand, if I need a Thomson stem, or a WTB saddle, another set of eggbeaters, or anything else relevant to the broader MTB market, chances are I'll find a better selection on eBay. Could you imagine if on the General Board people posted links to ads for every item they put for sale on MTBR? (who knows, maybe they do. I haven't been on the General board for months). If I'm in the market for a part like that, I'll check MTBR classifieds, but think I'll have better luck on eBay, therefore sellers are better off just going to eBay, IMHO.

But another buying/selling venue that hasn't been mentioned is craigslist. Perhaps if you're not in the SF Bay area, craigslist doesn't have the critical mass it needs to attract eyeballs, but I've had the best luck of all buying and selling there recently. But again, it's just general MTB/road stuff. If I have anything even close to 29er or SS related, I still think my best bet is MTBR. Example of this is a guy yesterday who posted a BW.8 fork on SF craigslist asking $550. I thought about emailing him to say he'd have better luck selling it on MTBR, since there is hardly any 29er traction (no pun intended) yet around here, but I didn't (who knows, maybe it is someone here who just lurks. Are there actually 29er riders who DON'T read this forum ).

Anyway, bottom line is it just comes down to what I'm buying or selling, how scarce the item is, and who I think the intended market is. That's how I decide.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    I do check eBay for 29er stuff, but have never once seen anything worth bidding on.
    I agree with nearly everything you said, although I've never tried craigslist.

However, ebay does have a wealth of 29er stuff.

A trick that I would recommend is this: Save your searches, and enable the auto-notify function. Specifically, start your search in ebay cycles (will take some time to drill down to cycling w/in sporting goods). Then type something in like <29* -sock* -cas* -spoke* -seat* -post* > For some reason, you'll normally get lots of socks, Casati branded items, spokes, seats, and posts, normally becuase some folks put a price in the title. This will show you most every 29er related item on there. But before you save the search, modify it by adding the word "fork" OR (but not AND) "frame." Or you can do things like add the term "supercal*" (being sure to include the asterick). At this point you may have zero returns....however, save the search at that point, name it something that makes sense, like "29er forks on ebay" or "29er frames on ebay" etc. Then tell it to email you anytime something is listed. You can go even further by drilling to selling catagories before saving the search..for instance, do it w/in the "complete bikes" section, and name the search: "complete 29ers on ebay"...

For instance, ebay emails me anytime a 29er fork, frame, complete bike, tire, or karate monkey, supercal, etc is listed....it's extremely rare a day passes without something being listed meeting these specifications...this also insures you don't miss anything listed with a buy it now that disappears before you knew it was there.

I'm going to go take my Luvox now.

Happy shopping!

bike geek

That is one slick search function there.

Happy shopping!
    I just set up 4 new custom searches, thanks for the tips. There's a lot of good stuff on eBay, you just gotta figure out how to sift out the crap first. Craigslist has a lot of useless stuff as well, but gems to exist. I think it's better though for big markets like SF. That's the only reason it works- the market creates the content. Not sure if you have as big a cycling scene there in AR as we do here.

Brian

Who turned out the lights

Nice search tips...

I agree with nearly everything you said, although I've never tried craigslist.

A trick that I would recommend is this: Save your searches, and enable the auto-notify function. Specifically, start your search in ebay cycles (will take some time to drill down to cycling w/in sporting goods). Then type something in like <29* -sock* -cas* -spoke* -seat* -post* > For some reason, you'll normally get lots of socks, Casati branded items, spokes, seats, and posts, normally becuase some folks put a price in the title. This will show you most every 29er related item on there. But before you save the search, modify it by adding the word "fork" OR (but not AND) "frame." Or you can do things like add the term "supercal*" (being sure to include the asterick). At this point you may have zero returns....however, save the search at that point, name it something that makes sense, like "29er forks on ebay" or "29er frames on ebay" etc. Then tell it to email you anytime something is listed. You can go even further by drilling to selling catagories before saving the search..for instance, do it w/in the "complete bikes" section, and name the search: "complete 29ers on ebay"...

For instance, ebay emails me anytime a 29er fork, frame, complete bike, tire, or karate monkey, supercal, etc is listed....it's extremely rare a day passes without something being listed meeting these specifications...this also insures you don't miss anything listed with a buy it now that disappears before you knew it was there.

I'm going to go take my Luvox now.

Happy shopping!
    I'm a part-time Ebay addict. I've bought/sold things out of both venues, both with positive results. My general thought on selling ss/29 stuff is to list on Ebay and MTBR. List an actual price wanted on mtbr and a link to the ebay auction. Then post to the 29er list. That way, you've gotten it to the general masses via Ebay, and to the 29"er core interest group via MTBR.

I have found that I don't search the MTBR classifieds very often, because well, the search function sucks. No offense to the site, but it never returns what I'm looking for. Ebay, on the other hand, and an incredible search function. I guess when you sell a bazillion buck worth of stuff every day, you can hire an army of compsci's to write code...

To me, it seems that casually (or not so casually) posting in this forum that you have placed an ad is technically against the rules, and should not be allowed. On the other hand, if posts got yanked for it, I wouldn't be riding around on Donkey's old Sycip fork for $125 and loving it...

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by tamerjammer
    I just set up 4 new custom searches, thanks for the tips. There's a lot of good stuff on eBay, you just gotta figure out how to sift out the crap first.
    No problem..it has literally taken me YEARS to really figure out how to squeeze the most out of ebay...I've been trying for 14 months to teach my wife, and she can't search for anything....I also find using the advanced search and search tips options really work well. Using the "-" and the "*" and the "(, )" type editors in your search really drills it down, I can usually hit anything I want from 1 search command off the ebay front page, although I also have the entire Cycling catagory shortcutted on my Links, 1 click, anytime...gotta be fast on the draw....ha.ha.ha..

Quote Originally Posted by Francis
    I have found that I don't search the MTBR classifieds very often, because well, the search function sucks. No offense to the site, but it never returns what I'm looking for. Ebay, on the other hand, and an incredible search function. I guess when you sell a bazillion buck worth of stuff every day, you can hire an army of compsci's to write code...
    Amen to that. It did get a little bit better when we were allowed to begin using the back button after each search result in mtbr...before you had to conduct a new search after you clicked on each new ad...I also note that there's only about 70% rationality to the search results...i'll be in there searching for a WB fork, and all I'm gettin' back is Santa Crud's Blur's and V10's...weird...

mtbr member

Can't do it with Canadian debit cards.

Paypal has an "debit" card that acts like a Visa Check card, but only accesses your paypal balance...you can use that as a visa anywhere...very tastey.
    I tried and cannot do it.... canadian debit cards do not act as a visa check card.