Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon 29er - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 2462
    trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Pagey-
    How is your build going? Do you like the frame so far?
    my carbon footprint has cleats

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For those that may be interested, I've updated my blog on my build. I still haven't put the list of parts, prices and weights on there yet though.

Full suspension, open-mold, Chinese carbon fiber 29er build | Join me on my first bike build

mtbr member

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon 29er

Quote Originally Posted by xc biker View Post
    Pagey-
    How is your build going? Do you like the frame so far?
    Build is proceeding slowly due to work commitments.

Overall it is proving a good build with the only catch being the front deraillier. I ordered the wrong mount first.

The light bicycle wheelset is looking great. More to follow after a concerted effort to finish the build this weekend
    cheers
    Pagey

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Ok.thanks pagey. Good luck on the build. I hope you finish it this weekend. Keep us updated.
    Thanks for the blog and link hidperf. I enjoyed reading it alot.

mtbr member

Build is now complete and I hope to get it out tomorrow for its maiden voyage.

No real issues with the build just he usual stuff that you have with any new build. The main point is to ensure that you have the right shock mounts and the right front deraillier.

Pictures later
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey View Post

No real issues with the build just he usual stuff that you have with any new build. The main point is to ensure that you have the right shock mounts and the right front deraillier.

Pictures later
    Yep. That front derailleur screwed me too. Which reminds me, if anyone is building one of these and wants a SRAM X0 front derailleur, I have one that will work with a 38T front ring as long as you don't run a bash guard. PM me for info.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Pagey-
    Im glad that the build worked out well for you. I hope it will work great tomorrow. Good luck!

mtbr member
    I'm very curious about what kind of shock everyone is running...
    I'm using a custom tuned Manitou S-Type SR SPV

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one View Post
    Rock Shox Monarch XX

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Fox Float R

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lefty on the front Rockshox Monarch RT3 (med rebound/high compression) on the back, still fiddling but it seems to work ok so far

mtbr member

Fox RP23
    cheers
    Pagey

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006
    I had a crash and my seatstay has a small crack now :-(
    I ask Flyxii for spare parts & they told me, that they do not longer sell this frame - but I can still find it on their webshop.

Can someone tell me where I can get spare parts for this frame ?
    Thousand thanks.
    .......................... looking for a smart slogan ....

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Checky-
    I dont know where you can replace it, but if you cannot find the spare parts you can try to repair it youself. On theprojectjunkie.com if you go to the bike section, you can find 2 ways to repair a carbon frame if it has a crack. One requires a vacuum bagging machine and one relies on tape for compression. If your crack is to close to a joint or pivot or too big it may not work though.
    Sorry that I cant help with the spares.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fox CTD (they only sell a "firm" tune in this size), rebound damping in about the middle, plushy, I just finally got cozy with riding it full open = bliss.

Could never ride this bike on the fully closed / hard-taily setting - contrary to popular belief, that's when i'm "bobbing" on the bike, as opposed to half-open/fully-open, when the bike rides smooth even into a very steep ascent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    sounds like bull.. - not only they have it on their web shop, but they haven't got any replacement 29er full suss frame to sell.

but hey, i wouldn't warranty you either -- i hope you'll have good luck fixing the frame - also do a google search for companies who specialize in fixing carbon bike frames - i noticed a few when i was researching whether to go into this.

just wondering - how did the crash happen? were you clipped in?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Pictures later
    or XX1

also if you (like me) are lazy and lead the brake cables externally, take care that your front work, when compressing, doesn't hit the cables (with the bridge joining the fork legs).

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006
    xc biker,
    many thanks. very interesting site. I guess to repair it will be the last solution. I would like to ask the other distributors for spare parts first. Wish me luck :-)
    btw: is there a list in this thread about all distries of this frame ?

Quote Originally Posted by ypocat View Post
    sounds like bull.. - not only they have it on their web shop, but they haven't got any replacement 29er full suss frame to sell.

but hey, i wouldn't warranty you either -- i hope you'll have good luck fixing the frame - also do a google search for companies who specialize in fixing carbon bike frames - i noticed a few when i was researching whether to go into this.

just wondering - how did the crash happen? were you clipped in?
    To avoid missunderstanding: I don't ask for warranty in any way, I ask precise for spare parts with willing to pay for it.
    How the crash happened: to be honest: I don't know :-) It was during racing on a marathon in Malmedy, Belgium last Sunday. I had two situations where it could happened. At both my bike felt to the side (and me too ;-) I guess I hit a stone in one situation.... I don't know. Saw the desaster at home when I clean the bike.

mtbr member

Some pics

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372336111.463172.jpg
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372336137.566003.jpg
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372336154.647472.jpg
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372336170.165340.jpg
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372336184.039222.jpg
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372336198.409711.jpg
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372336209.756939.jpg
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372336221.038501.jpg
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Very nice build Pagey! I wish I could have gotten the matte finish but they didn't have any when I ordered mine.

How do you like the ride and handling?

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006
    Why do you have tape at the left chainstay ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by checky View Post
    Why do you have tape at the left chainstay ?
    To protect the chainstay from damage due to chain slap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    To protect the chainstay from damage due to chain slap.
    On the LEFT side?

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    I think the tape is to protect it from rocks that could potentially hit the chainstay. It might have been inspired by checky's misfortune

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Pagey,

Can I ask you how tall you are in and what size frame this is. I'm on the verge of ordering one of these frames but don't want to get the size wrong. I'm 5"8 and going by virtual top tube lengths I should be going for a 15.5 frame as this matches closely all the other 26er and road bikes I ride. The only worry is the seat tube length on the fm036 in 15.5 is some 30mm shorter than the bikes i currently ride, but this just means a longer seatpost is needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    After lurking on the thread for a year I finally pulled the trigger and buy a frame from hongfu. I went with the FM036. It came it the mail yesterday. The frame looks great, except for a defect where the swing arm meets the seat tube: Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-photo.jpg

I sent them an email and they want to know

Now pls tell me the details as below:
    1.When and how did you find this defect.
    2.What will the cost be if you repair it in your local shops.
    3.What's the shipping cost if you send it back.

Will keep you all posted.

mtbr member
    Doesn't look bad to me, mind pointing out the defect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    Doesn't look bad to me, mind pointing out the defect.
    There is a crack in the outer layer of carbon.

I would respond asking them to ship you the swing arm and your bike shop will fix it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    They've been very responsive. I just got this back from them after proposing they send me the swing arm:

I am willing to do so,then what's the cheaest shipping cost for you to send back the single arm?
    After I apply to my boss,I will inform you,then you can send back the single arm and we will assume the shipping cost.

Thank you very much.
    Summer

*edit pasted wrong thing

mtbr member
    oops, wrong location...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi,Can anyone help with sizing of frame for 5ft 8 person, im looking at 15.5 as per post just above. Alot of people go for 17.5, but is this more suited for 5"9 to 5"10 people. Or can someone advise on going by effective top tube length of previous steeds!!!HELP

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    a 5 minute descend video from a mountain trip i did with my build a few days ago... (ascent was also a lot of fun, but those don't look good on video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRLmlgOzZk&hd=1

mtbr member

I am 5'8" and went with the 17.5 which fits me well.

I taped the left size by mistake as I was half asleep but then decided to leave it as extra protection.

I am racing it in a 6hr race tomorrow so I will report on it then as it will be a great test
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pikeymick View Post
    After lurking on the thread for a year I finally pulled the trigger and buy a frame from hongfu. I went with the FM036. It came it the mail yesterday. The frame looks great, except for a defect where the swing arm meets the seat tube: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	811637

I sent them an email and they want to know

Now pls tell me the details as below:
    1.When and how did you find this defect.
    2.What will the cost be if you repair it in your local shops.
    3.What's the shipping cost if you send it back.

Will keep you all posted.
    may be just me, but i don't even see carbon weave patterns on that pic - just a matte color (which I have too, but there are patterns). Wondering if they switched factories.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    a 5 minute descend video from a mountain trip i did with my build a few days ago... (ascent was also a lot of fun, but those don't look good on video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRLmlgOzZk&hd=1
    A carbon 29er squishy is my ultimate dreambike.
    Have you ridden an alloy squish 29er? How does the weight compare to that? I'm just getting into carbon...I got a carbon handlebar,now I
    'm really curious how a whole carbon bike rides! I can't even imagine.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    A carbon 29er squishy is my ultimate dreambike.
    Have you ridden an alloy squish 29er? How does the weight compare to that? I'm just getting into carbon...I got a carbon handlebar,now I
    'm really curious how a whole carbon bike rides! I can't even imagine.
    never ridden an alloy 29", but i did have 26" hard tail once and full suss once, not sure if alloy or steel though

when i first rode on the carbon, i noticed how easy it was to flip it from side to side, you felt like you have to be careful otherwise the bike may lift off the road.

also generally you use much less force to steer the bike - in my early videos over-steering/over-tilting is quite visible.

all in all the bike is a kilometer-eater, just asking for longer trips all the time.

the weight depends very much on the build, but if i remember correctly the frame is at least 1 kg lighter than an alloy counterpart - maybe not much on paper but it feels very different.

i think in terms of having as little bike between the road and you (in a good sense) as possible, carbon is the way to go.

mtbr member
    may be just me, but i don't even see carbon weave patterns on that pic - just a matte color (which I have too, but there are patterns). Wondering if they switched factories.
    The frame in that picture is UD (unidirectional) carbon, it does not have a weave pattern like 3k. UD finish will show some cloudiness or color variation as well but UD is the strongest and lightest CF material, just not as pretty as the other types.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Im looking for info on the 2013 giant XTC advanced SL 29r.I heard there was a recall?

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Pickeymick- any word on the swingarm? When is it supposed to be exchanged?

Krisvm- any update on your build? Did you get the right 1x10 parts and the frame yet?

Hogspen- sorry, I dont know if its been recalled. You might want to try asking in the general section or the 29er frame/bike section. Recalls arnt really applicable in this thread unless they are for the dual-suss chinese carbon 29er. Sorry I cant be more help. Good luck finding out!

mtbr member

Raced the 6hr on the weekend and the bike was awesome. Lots of technical and rocky trail with both switchback and fire road climbs. The fame was very efficient but also soaked up the rocks with ease. In combination with the carbon wheels it was a nippy ride. Ended up 9th.

Big thumbs up from me
    cheers
    Pagey

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Nice job! Getting in ninth is pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Great stuff Pagey and XC Biker.
    I haven't made much progress as I've been getting slammed at work.
    Bit of time off coming up and the weather should be getting better too.
    I've decided on everything except the drive train. Can someone just decide for me!
    I would like a 1x10/11 with bashguard setup which is xt quality or above for the best price possible!
    Cheers
    kris

mtbr member

I went back and forth from 2x10 and 1x10/11 and ended up with 2x10 XT as it will suit my riding.

I still think if I could build a 1x10 with a 42t that would be the best. Also I would skip the bash guard
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I went back and forth from 2x10 and 1x10/11 and ended up with 2x10 XT as it will suit my riding.

I still think if I could build a 1x10 with a 42t that would be the best. Also I would skip the bash guard
    Not worried about an accident and slicing your leg up Pagey?
    If no bash guard then I think its hard to go past the xx1 crank.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Does anyone have ordered this frame pre-painted in China?
    Trying to find this one not only black matt/3k/UD

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Breaking news!
    I was bothered by noise from the pivots, despite the grease, so I removed all joints:
    in total there are 8 bearings, of which 3 were pretty much stuck, 2 were moved in steps and the remaining were still working, only showing signs of rust. The moral is that bearings are not sealed and of the mediocre quality. They are Z series, ie They have one face with a metal foil that protects the spheres. The mtb's use would certainly have required waterproof bearings on both sides, ie the series 2RS.
    So I ordered new sealed bearings, only that I took the type "max" that is, with increased number of balls (I want to stay quiet for a while 'time!)
    For those who have this frame (or for those who want to take it) I list the bearings must be ordered (sooner or later!):
    - Nr. 4 - 698 2RS MAX (8x19x6)
    - Nr. 4 - 6901 2RS MAX (12x24x6)
    Attached Files Attached Files

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Kris vm-
    Depending on when you're gonna build your bike, you might w t to wait a while and biy the sram xo1 that will be coming out soon. If you want to check it out, Pinkbike.com has a great article on it. If not I would suggest the xt or xtr trail 1x10 drivetrain. Xt and xtr are great and you'll really like them.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    hey xc biker,
    thanks mate, ill look at the article ... eta for xo1? good price point?
    More than happy to get xt drive train, I've read bits and pieces online , but I just need a clear simple guide of the parts to buy and how to setup it up to work on this frame. I think it sounds smarter to get a xx1 crankset as I pay more getting a 2 or 3 ring xt crankset + dedicated single speed ring. Just need to decide whether to get a bash guard or not. Do the xx1 cranks come with a bash guard and I take it gxp bb will fit on this FS carbon frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon 29er

Quote Originally Posted by LoAl View Post
    Breaking news!
    I was bothered by noise from the pivots, despite the grease, so I removed all joints:
    in total there are 8 bearings, of which 3 were pretty much stuck, 2 were moved in steps and the remaining were still working, only showing signs of rust. The moral is that bearings are not sealed and of the mediocre quality. They are Z series, ie They have one face with a metal foil that protects the spheres. The mtb's use would certainly have required waterproof bearings on both sides, ie the series 2RS.
    So I ordered new sealed bearings, only that I took the type "max" that is, with increased number of balls (I want to stay quiet for a while 'time!)
    For those who have this frame (or for those who want to take it) I list the bearings must be ordered (sooner or later!):
    Amazing cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvm View Post
    Great stuff Pagey and XC Biker.
    I haven't made much progress as I've been getting slammed at work.
    Bit of time off coming up and the weather should be getting better too.
    I've decided on everything except the drive train. Can someone just decide for me!
    I would like a 1x10/11 with bashguard setup which is xt quality or above for the best price possible!
    Cheers
    kris
    depends much on the terrain you will be riding.

1x is almost always a compromise, just more or less, depending on the terrain. (i ride xx1, and very steep ascents strain my back a little more than i like; asphalt descents could be little faster; but the setup/operation simplicity more than makes up for it i guess.)

if you don't go 1x, then 2x10 XT is the way imho.

only wait for the 1x11 XO if you are finishing the bike in a year from now (or prepare to pull hair).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Breaking news!
    it tells me: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LoAl again."

so just thanks! awesome info.

i guess you ride in a wet conditions a lot? mine is not making a sound from the bearings yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vwsurfbum View Post
    Amazing cheers.

it tells me: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LoAl again."

so just thanks! awesome info.

i guess you ride in a wet conditions a lot? mine is not making a sound from the bearings yet.
    I have to say quite sincerely to mistreat this frame: puddles, river fords, etc., then the frequent washings ....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Breaking news!

Question for you on these bearings. The pivot at the rear swing arm, where the rear axle is, is only a bushing on my bike. At least from what I can remember when I pulled everything apart to grease it.

Did you replace the bushings with bearings? Or did your frame have bearings there from the start?

Great info BTW.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mines bearing and has been from tge start?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I'll have to double check mine. I swore I took pictures and didn't see any bearings at that location.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    Did you replace the bushings with bearings? Or did your frame have bearings there from the start?
    Mine came with bearings throughout, two of them were a bit crunchy on arrival but the swingarm moves freely enough so I didn't bother replacing them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I forgot to mention this.

When I first built my bike, I forgot to order pedals, grips, and a saddle. So I just used take-off parts I had laying around. After swapping the take-off items for ones that I really wanted, I got the bike down to 26.15lbs now. That's pretty much as light as I can get it without replacing new items purchased just for this build.

I'm OK with that weight I think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi I was interested in picking up one of these frames, can anyone recommend the best place to buy one for price, and warranty support? I see on post one mentions hongfu and I saw in another thread there was mentions of xiamen.

Any help is appreciated

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Question for you on these bearings. The pivot at the rear swing arm, where the rear axle is, is only a bushing on my bike. At least from what I can remember when I pulled everything apart to grease it.

Great info BTW.
    The frame came from the factory with all bearings

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Any heavy people/clydes on these ? Was thinking about building one up for all mountain duties but I weigh 265lbs geared up, mostly cruising up and down with 3'-4' jumps and drops here and there.

Also can a clyde have this built up durable for around 2k ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Goohead View Post
    Hi I was interested in picking up one of these frames, can anyone recommend the best place to buy one for price, and warranty support? I see on post one mentions hongfu and I saw in another thread there was mentions of xiamen.

Any help is appreciated
    xx2

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCDiesel View Post
    xx2
    I got mine from flyxii.com, paid with paypal and it shipped the day after, took two days to get to the UK then two weeks to get through customs.
    I can't attest as to warranty but they did send me an extra mech hanger for free.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Flyxii has only 3k gloss finish frame, if you like UD or matt finish, you have to contact hong-fu, miracle, deng-fu, etc. Anyway the best price you can find is on Flyxii.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Galactus View Post
    Mine came with bearings throughout, two of them were a bit crunchy on arrival but the swingarm moves freely enough so I didn't bother replacing them.
    Do any of you guys have pictures of your rear most pivot, near the rear axle?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Do any of you guys have pictures of your rear most pivot, near the rear axle?
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon 29er - Mtbr Mountain Bike Photo Gallery

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    some pics of lower part of seat stay:
    you can see the hole for the bearing housing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-dscf4427.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-dscf4428.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    @xc biker I had a friend look at it who does a lot of carbon fiber manufacturing, and after talking with the manufacturer, I think I'm going to ride it until it fails. The shipping to send stuff back just isn't worth it.

But I have all almost all the parts in now, and when I get home Sunday night I'm going to wrap up the build!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

some pics of lower part of seat stay:
    you can see the hole for the bearing housing
    Hmm..maybe I just didn't bother taking mine apart far enough.

Here is the only pictures I have of my pivot

https://plus.google.com/photos/10193...09299833436358

https://plus.google.com/photos/10193...09299833436358

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Pickeymick-
    Good luck! Just be careful. A frame breaking on you while riding can cause you to have a really bad day. Unfortunately I learned that from experience. So just watch the crack and be careful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sorry hidperf, I can't see the photo

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Where you buy this frame

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This may have been discussed in past posts but I have not been able to find a definitive answer. Are these frames being produced with the option of 12x142 ta rear? If so, which vendors are selling them? A buddy and I plan to build a couple up this winter for our adventure races and I plan on using several leftover parts from my king kahuna, including the wheelset that came stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    please make the long list... thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by checky View Post
    Hi colleagues,

I would like to say MANY THANKS to all of you.

I've read hours, days ... perhaps weeks in this thread & decide to buy one of this frames.
    Without you & this thread I never find the courage to buy, but all the positive comments gave me some kind of secure

I've checked the geometry & compare with my old bikes (also with my China LTK023 29er HT) & came to the conclusion: I have to give the frame a chance

Here is my build:

Attachment 796905

It ended up at 9,52 Kg's. I hope you like it as much as I do This thing is incredible fast & I get more & more mercy with all the 26er rider, especially with the 26er HT rider
    I never expect this ... but I like it very much !

I wrote the build more detailled there: 29er Fully - mal schauen obs was taugt - Light-Bikes Forum (for those who are interested ;-)

Sorry for my english, it's not my excellence
    Still sifting through this topic, but I saw you offered to make a long list of everything you have on the bike. Please direct me to it if you have, and if you haven't can you?

thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi, yes there is a Chinese 29er frame with 142+ rear end, I've seen it here on MTBR forums, it actually has a removable set of dropouts on the rear you can swap to regular QR, but the reason someone posted it is there were some problems with it....if you find it let me know I would love to talk to that factory about maybe ordering some for LaMere Cycles. I will try to find it too....
    JP LaMere
    Phone USA: (612) 326-4183
    Web: LaMereCycles.com or Facebook.com/LaMereCycles
    Email: [email protected]

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCDiesel View Post
    Any heavy people/clydes on these ? Was thinking about building one up for all mountain duties but I weigh 265lbs geared up, mostly cruising up and down with 3'-4' jumps and drops here and there.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe>

<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/pMQyCI" vspale=0></iframe>

Also can a clyde have this built up durable for around 2k ?
    Im 5'8 220 with no issues

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Jp, I contacted a company that listed a 142 rear but the picture had 135 quick release. I will see what they say and get back to you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have a question to experts.
    What will be different, if the frame Hongfu FM-036 29'' to put the plug and not more than 100mm, 120mm for example?
    How to change the behavior of the bike?
    How will it affect the suspension?
    So you can do it or not?
    What better to put the plug?
    Which put the best rear shock absorber?
    Thank you in advance for your reply.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I put 110mm of travel on that frame and loved it, the front end is just a little bit higher but so what....bike shops will tell you "oh no you can't do that it will mess up the geometry of the bike blah blah blah...." I say whatever, its fine, you're talking about 10mm....so I would say go for it with the 120mm, more travel is better, just pump it up more stiff, use less spacers on the steerer and maybe a drop angle stem if you feel its too high.
    JP LaMere
    Phone USA: (612) 326-4183
    Web: LaMereCycles.com or Facebook.com/LaMereCycles
    Email: [email protected]

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin_W View Post
    Jp, I contacted a company that listed a 142 rear but the picture had 135 quick release. I will see what they say and get back to you.
    HongFu said the new 142 rear hangerneed another 2 weeks. They are doing the raw finish now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What a shock absorber for the suspension should be 2.65-3.05: 1 leverage ratio?

mtbr member
    I would really like to see a replacement lower linkage that incorporates a 142mm throughaxle, because I'm starting to notice the flex during rough sections and hard cornering...

em2
    mtbr member
    how can be sure that is the linkage and not the low pressure tubeless or the huge wheel ?

I would really like to see a replacement lower linkage that incorporates a 142mm throughaxle, because I'm starting to notice the flex during rough sections and hard cornering...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by em2 View Post
    how can be sure that is the linkage and not the low pressure tubeless or the huge wheel ?
    exactly that.

i'd say 142 is good when you do jumps so that it breaks less likely or later than 135 would.

my furious fred tyre in tubeless, when inflated below 19psi, i have to be careful with cornering as i feel the rear floating to the side.

also i just tightened a very loose spoke on my rear carbon wheel.

mtbr member
    Because when I corner hard, and use the rear brake to scrub a little speed, I can feel the rear end grab tight.... and suddenly let go like a torqued catapult. When I stand still and hold the saddle and crank down, I can push the rear wheel sideways pretty easily.
    A friend of mine has a Devinci Atlas with 142 axle, and it feels a whole lot stiffer when doing the same thing, and he uses a much thinner rim and lower pressures.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Because when I corner hard, and use the rear brake to scrub a little speed, I can feel the rear end grab tight.... and suddenly let go like a torqued catapult. When I stand still and hold the saddle and crank down, I can push the rear wheel sideways pretty easily.
    A friend of mine has a Devinci Atlas with 142 axle, and it feels a whole lot stiffer when doing the same thing, and he uses a much thinner rim and lower pressures.
    makes sense... well, only one way to find if 142 makes it better on this bike - by trying it out - and i'm curious.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    As I was looking around the web at different asian bike manufacturers I found this:

ASTRO ENGINEERING CO., LTD Conatct

Its a carbon full-suspension 29er with 120mm of travel and a 12x124 thru-axle in the rear. Does anyone know anything about their bikes in general? Would anyone be willing to give this one a try?

em2
    mtbr member
    that sounds like a soft wheel to me
    check for loose links or dropouts and the tension of your spokes

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You Sir/Ma'am win an internet.
    Shall be replacing mine once I've found replacement pivot bolts, 25kgf-cm my arse, sheared way lower than that.

Breaking news!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yippee,

My 17.5 fm036 from Hongfu has arrived in UD matt, my second choice as I wanted 3k matt -oh never mind as UD is meant to be lightest?4.6lbs on my scales.Pictures coming soon.

Did look a little big on first look but trying to compare to my old steed it should all work out- not a fan of these half inch sizes at all being 5ft8. Frames all correct , hope shiney parts complement dull frame or i'll gloss it over next year.
    Also got stung for £47.00 at customs,they opened box had a look and priced accordinglyto $130 invoice(around40%)- i guess-bare frame in dull matte not that suspicious-could be much worse- glad my lightbicycles wheels came through no probs- cant win them all!!!
    Will start building next week as im using old parts plus waiting for smaller mounting hardware to use my 165millimeter vintage rockshox xc shock. Ordered direct mount(E-type) mech which was going for £9.00 in Lx.Also need headset reducer shim from Hope- i misunderstood the supplied headset is not shimmed to take 1/8th forks rather its for headtube shells with 1/8th bearing top and 1.5 at bottom.
    Coming from a four bar linkage I was trying to see the rear seatstay pivot make the stay move but it does'nt seem to rotate about the axis at all, so not really seeing the point.hopefully it won't mean a less plush ride.

Only other concern is the fork mod i read about where i'll be using Fox 29 lowers on 26er RLC's internals.

Wish me luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Heres mine;

(click to embiggen)

Only done 450km so far but it's been great for that, comes in at 12.7kg but that's with very heavy seatpost/bars/stem while I get the fit right.

Only thing to break so far have been two of the seat stay bolts but that was me misreading torque values rather than them being faulty,
    Replaced the ones at the shock pivot end with: M6 Threaded insert tube
    M6 X 8 X 25 shoulder bolt
    M6 X 8 X 40 shoulder bolt ,
    weighs in at 48g vs the 2x 12g originals but they won't be sheering anytime soon and fit just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Any other Chinese FS designs out there other than this one generic Scalpel type rip-off?

mtbr member
    Nice! I love the mummified Lefty!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Heres mine;

(click to embiggen)

Only done 450km so far but it's been great for that, comes in at 12.7kg but that's with very heavy seatpost/bars/stem while I get the fit right.

Only thing to break so far have been two of the seat stay bolts but that was me misreading torque values rather than them being faulty,
    Replaced the ones at the shock pivot end with: M6 Threaded insert tube
    M6 X 8 X 25 shoulder bolt
    M6 X 8 X 40 shoulder bolt ,
    weighs in at 48g vs the 2x 12g originals but they won't be sheering anytime soon and fit just fine.
    I can't quite tell from your photo, but I've seen it on all the other photos of this frame. do you have to have 5" of stackers above the head tube to make this frame work? Seams like everyone who has this bike has done the same thing. Is there anyone out there who has 1" of spacers or less then the stem on this frame????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolee View Post
    Anyone want a turbocharger? We can offer more than 3000 kinds of turbochargers and their spare partshttp://www.turbochargerx.com/?sid=D69A5DA8
    Will it fit on the chainstays?...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by scentofreason View Post
    I can't quite tell from your photo, but I've seen it on all the other photos of this frame. do you have to have 5" of stackers above the head tube to make this frame work? Seams like everyone who has this bike has done the same thing. Is there anyone out there who has 1" of spacers or less then the stem on this frame????
    I run 20mm of spacers and it handles well. I started with more and reduced over time to get the right feel. Any more and the front end felt to high on climbs
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Better view of the steerer setup;

(click to embiggen)

I have to run 15mm of spacers with a 70mm -6º stem or the bars hit the top of the lefty, a longer stem and I could have it on top of where the lefty joins the steerer.

The overly long steerer, random stem and spacers are while I'm still fiddling with fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Better view of the steerer setup;

(click to embiggen)

I have to run 15mm of spacers with a 70mm -6º stem or the bars hit the top of the lefty, a longer stem and I could have it on top of where the lefty joins the steerer.

The overly long steerer, random stem and spacers are while I'm still fiddling with fit.
    Thanks for the alternate photo view. It really clears things up. Once you decide on the perfect stem location, you could cut the steerer down to make it look normal. Perfect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

First Rides

Wow,

Took my 95% complete Hongfu out on a test run since its sunny in the UK at the moment.WOW!! its a magic carpet, had reservations about the faux bar compared to my old four bar, but this suspension was smooth and controlled even with my basic Rockshox xc shock designed some 10 years or so ago.
    In tight twisty singletrack it was no different to my 26er and nothing fazed this beast. Speed wise i couldn't say i was travelling faster than usual only possibly on my way back outta Epping Forest, I sensed that I had used less energy on the ride. A short technical uphill section was tackled easily and without too much thought where usually it was easy to stall a bike midway up due to roots.
    Sizing wise this bike is good for 5ft 8 people, although I still think a 16inch version(if they produced one)would be spot on as I love high seatposts and im just about touching the ground when sag is induced at the back. I was not overstretched although i will try a shorter negative stem in the future.
    I still need to set up front derailer and buy new hose length to route rear brake as it should be.
    Gonna do proer Sunday run tomorrow and see if it gets any remarks from the regulars. Bike came in at 24.6 ibs about pound lighter than previous alloy bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    some pictures, also i can't view thumbnails on this site anymore can anyone suggest what I can do??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-fm036-008.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-fm036-005.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-fm036-006.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-fm036-007.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Did you saw new chinese FS carbon frame? I'll get myself one this winter!
    142x12 rear axle, normal FD direct mount and new geometry!
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-china.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Who makes this one? Got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimon Hell View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	China.jpg 
Views:	8385 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	828883

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I left a bunch of length on my steer tube so I could fine tune the stack height/bar height. You don't have to do that if you know exactly how/where you want your stem and bars to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Looks pretty cool, when this frame explodes in a shower of kittens as we're constantly being told they will I'll get one

More pictures;

Specifications

carbon MTB full suspension 29er frame
    BB:BB68/BB73/BB30
    Headset Size: 1-1/8",1-1/2"
    Available sizes:15"/17''/19''

Specifications
    Material: full carbon fiber prepreg
    full carbon MTB frame full suspension 29er
    Match seatpost size:Ø31.6
    Finish: Matte or glossy
    Weave: 3K/12K/UD
    BB:BB68/BB73/BB30
    Headset Size: 1-1/8",1-1/2"
    Available sizes:15"/17'/19''
    Detail information

1.Materials :3k/12k/Unidirectional carbon fiber prepeg , ! plain weave or twill weave for you to choose !
    2.Technology :compression or blowing in steel mould
    3.Finish :UV protection ,clear coat ! Glossy finish or Matte .Decals available according to your requirement !
    4.Light weight ,high strength !
    5.Monocoque design !
    6.With EN standard test ,2 years warranty
    - 2013 Specialized Full Suspension Carbon 29er Frame,Carbon 29er Full Susension Frame 650b - Buy Carbon Suspension 29er Frame,29er Frame Full Suspension,Full Suspension Carbon Mtb 29er Frame Product on Alibaba.com

Looks like it has internal routing through the chainstays and much better clearance for bottles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Looks pretty cool, when this frame explodes in a shower of kittens as we're constantly being told they will I'll get one

More pictures;

- 2013 Specialized Full Suspension Carbon 29er Frame,Carbon 29er Full Susension Frame 650b - Buy Carbon Suspension 29er Frame,29er Frame Full Suspension,Full Suspension Carbon Mtb 29er Frame Product on Alibaba.com

Looks like it has internal routing through the chainstays and much better clearance for bottles
    Nice looking frame. Two questions:

1) When will you have a 21" size frame available? (I'm 6'-4").

2) What is the frame weight (without shock)?

mtbr member
    The frame is way too short for my taste....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Weight promised about 2.2 kg without rear shock.
    Selled on Aliexpress for 750$.
    I'm thinking - try to get one, or take Merida BIG NINETY-NINE XT-M... Aluminium, but 650$ with DT rear shock, with 5 years warranty, with DT rear axle... I'm not shure...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice looking frame. Two questions:

1) When will you have a 21" size frame available? (I'm 6'-4").

2) What is the frame weight (without shock)?
    1) Pretty sure I never will (I don't sell them)

2) No idea atm

mtbr member
    Do any of the Chinese mfg make a dual pivot/CVA/DW Link style frame?

(as opposed to single pivot)

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    Do any of the Chinese mfg make a dual pivot/CVA/DW Link style frame?

(as opposed to single pivot)
    Out of the deep respect they have for IP/copyrights I think they are staying away.

Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Eurobike '13: Chiru 29"ers & "Nine-Seven" Bikes looks familiar,but different, neater rear triangle!?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    it has trail bike's geometry, not race...

mtbr member
    I'm looking to upgrade my hardtail to FS. Noticed today on Ebay, prices are coming down for the FS Carbon from China, lowest price I have seen is $707 usd, unless someone here know's to get it cheaper...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    $700 delivered
    http://www.flyxii.com/products_1.asp?menuid=336&id=601

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link, unfortunately, he only has 21" frames...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Out of the deep respect they have for IP/copyrights I think they are staying away.
    LOL!

So how much rear travel would this frame have?
    Size shock?

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimon Hell View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	China.jpg 
Views:	8385 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	828883
    So is this the most "all mountain / trail" carbon 29er so far in this thread?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    perhaps this new frame should have its own thread?

mtbr member
    LOL that the Alibaba link actually says "Specialized" Carbon Fiber bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wconcretej View Post
    some pictures, also i can't view thumbnails on this site anymore can anyone suggest what I can do??
    Does anyone know if someone has completed the ABSA Cape Epic on a chinese dual sus frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterQ View Post
    Yeap, IP-098 is new full suspension 29er frame only for 142x12 rear axle.

Is this s'pose to be a copy of the Specialized Enduro?

If so, shouldn't the head tube angle be more slack to accommodate a longer fork?

Anyone know what length shock this takes?

thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jplamere1 View Post
    Hi, yes there is a Chinese 29er frame with 142+ rear end, I've seen it here on MTBR forums, it actually has a removable set of dropouts on the rear you can swap to regular QR, but the reason someone posted it is there were some problems with it....if you find it let me know I would love to talk to that factory about maybe ordering some for LaMere Cycles. I will try to find it too....
    Well, there are quite a few posts on the Chinese carbon hardtail 29er thread with removable rear dropouts for both 10x135 and 12x142 rear axles, but they're hardtails.

I just wanted to call your attention to this Taiwanese carbon 29er full suspension frame that was posted: 120mm rear travel, 12x142 rear axle, and what appears to be a virtual pivot/mini-link rear suspension.

No geo info on their site, but it looks like its more of a trail-bike as opposed to XC racer, which is good to see IMHO.

Maybe it's too soon to see "open source" Asian CF 29er frames catering to the aggressive trail/enduro segment of the market, but I'm curious to see if it's geo is more modern than Niner's 2014 alloy RIP 9, which unfortunately still has a steep 70 degree HA (w 120mm fork) and long 17.9" chainstays that haven't progressed significantly since the RIP debuted 7 years ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slo_rider View Post
    Well, there are quite a few posts on the Chinese carbon hardtail 29er thread with removable rear dropouts for both 10x135 and 12x142 rear axles, but they're hardtails.

I just wanted to call your attention to this Taiwanese carbon 29er full suspension frame that was posted: 120mm rear travel, 12x142 rear axle, and what appears to be a virtual pivot/mini-link rear suspension.

No geo info on their site, but it looks like its more of a trail-bike as opposed to XC racer, which is good to see IMHO.

Maybe it's too soon to see "open source" Asian CF 29er frames catering to the aggressive trail/enduro segment of the market, but I'm curious to see if it's geo is more modern than Niner's 2014 alloy RIP 9, which unfortunately still has a steep 70 degree HA (w 120mm fork) and long 17.9" chainstays that haven't progressed significantly since the RIP debuted 7 years ago.
    I emailed this company directly last week, and to date have not heard a peep out of them. I'm not sure they are still in business, but if they are, customer service is lacking... But if any one has any info on this frame, please post... Need to know what sizes available, how much the frame costs, if there is internal cable routing...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I emailed this company directly last week, and to date have not heard a peep out of them. I'm not sure they are still in business, but if they are, customer service is lacking... But if any one has any info on this frame, please post... Need to know what sizes available, how much the frame costs, if there is internal cable routing...
    I think that's a Btb company…

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubu2 View Post
    I think that's a Btb company…
    btb company????

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Business to business

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pgleed View Post
    Does anyone know if someone has completed the ABSA Cape Epic on a chinese dual sus frame?
    I know BOOTH BIKES carbon bicycles and components from BOOTH BIKES built a whole lot that sailed through the Epic. Contact Rob, he'll fill you in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I just ordered the HF-FM036 from Hung Fu with 142*12mm rear axle =)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What shock will you be using? Where did you get the shock (bike shop, internet, direct from manufacturer?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Review of Full carbon fiber 29er suspension mountain from AliBaba

Hi guys. This post is really helpful. So did any of you end up buying

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-full_carbon_fiber_29er_suspension_mountain_bike.jpg

Full carbon fiber 29er suspension mountain bike with Deore XT 30 speed groupset, View 29er carbon mountain bike, Laplace Product Details from Shenzhen GUB Bike Trading Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

how did it go, what are you impressions?

I'm seriously considering getting one, it will be my first major investment in a bike. I was thinking between it and the Giant Trance SX 27.5.

I need to climb and descend on very rough and rocky terrain, but don't do a lot of jumps. I'm guessing I need 150mm of travel.. what is the travel on that bike as it is not immediately clear.

Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eriklanden View Post
    I just ordered the HF-FM036 from Hung Fu with 142*12mm rear axle =)
    Hi Erik,

What shipping did you use for this purchase?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The Carbonal Titan then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone who has the 17.5 frame, what length stem are you using? I know it will vary, but I'm kind of curious on setups. I'm 5'10" and I'm using the 100mm Flyxi/T3 carbon stem but I'm thinking of going shorter, maybe to a 90mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New Carbonal FS frame "Titan"

Anybody considered or bought the newer FS frame from Carbonal?Name:  Titan-29er.jpg
Views: 5114
Size:  16.8 KBName:  Titan-29er-geometry.jpg
Views: 5070
Size:  32.3 KB

It has slightly slacker headtube angle and 2mm shorter chain stay. The front der. mount is on the seat tube. According to my eyes the main pivot placement is slightly further to the rear compared to the Hong Fu/Flyxxi-frame. The longer top tube and slacker angle makes the wheelbase longer. Unfortunality 135mm rear only.

Better or worse than the "old" one?

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

/P

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Look in the other Chinese 29er thread, a guy there has built a Carbonal Titan up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok, thanks.

mtbr member
    Anyone who has the 17.5 frame, what length stem are you using? I know it will vary, but I'm kind of curious on setups. I'm 5'10" and I'm using the 100mm Flyxi/T3 carbon stem but I'm thinking of going shorter, maybe to a 90mm.
    70. 90 is just really long. It may feel cramped at first, but I think it works better overall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    70. 90 is just really long. It may feel cramped at first, but I think it works better overall.
    I made the mistake of picking the same stem length as my road bike, which is why I have the 100mm now. 70mm though? Maybe I'll pick up a couple and try them. I just rode my buddies 2014 Enduro 29er and he has a 70. The bike felt so "twitchy". Granted, it's a completely different bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pgleed View Post
    Hi Erik,

What shipping did you use for this purchase?
    Hong FU shipped with EMS, took exactly 10 days to Sweden. My frame has interchangeable dropouts, 9mm QR and troughaxle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm also running a 70mm, I got it as it was the cheapest one on CRC so I could get it built up while waiting for a RETUL fit but after 1000km~ish it's been good. It's also luckily the shortest length that will fit on a lefty with flat bars.

I made the mistake of picking the same stem length as my road bike, which is why I have the 100mm now. 70mm though? Maybe I'll pick up a couple and try them. I just rode my buddies 2014 Enduro 29er and he has a 70. The bike felt so "twitchy". Granted, it's a completely different bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ordered a 70mm and an 80mm off eBay. Based on a couple users feedback on here, I got the Kalloy Uno brand. So now I'll have a couple different ones I can try.

I'm also running a 70mm, I got it as it was the cheapest one on CRC so I could get it built up while waiting for a RETUL fit but after 1000km~ish it's been good. It's also luckily the shortest length that will fit on a lefty with flat bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eriklanden View Post
    Hong FU shipped with EMS, took exactly 10 days to Sweden. My frame has interchangeable dropouts, 9mm QR and troughaxle.
    Can you show us a picture?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Here are some pictures!

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-dsc04435.jpg

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-dsc04427.jpg

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-dsc04424.jpg

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-dsc04425.jpg

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-dsc04428.jpg

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-dsc04429.jpg

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-dsc04436.jpg

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-dsc04439.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks, thats excellent

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Has anyone attempted to remove the headset cups from the frame?
    I want to use a Cane Creek Angle Set but the cups appear to be glued into the frame. I'm not sure if I should just give it a bit of attention with a drift and rubber mallet?
    Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Komdotkom View Post
    Has anyone attempted to remove the headset cups from the frame?
    I want to use a Cane Creek Angle Set but the cups appear to be glued into the frame. I'm not sure if I should just give it a bit of attention with a drift and rubber mallet?
    Suggestions?
    The frame "cups" are an essential part of the frame, and CANNOT be removed/replaced. You can only change the bearings. There is a good reason it's called an "Integrated headset"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The frame "cups" are an essential part of the frame, and CANNOT be removed/replaced. You can only change the bearings. There is a good reason it's called an "Integrated headset"
    I can't see how it makes any difference. The frame isn't made with the headset in place and it's glued in after the frame is removed from the mold.
    If I remove the integrated aluminum section and replace it with another one there won't be any tangible difference. The only thing that concerns me is that they may have used some of the epoxy they use to lay up the frames to adhere the headset to the frame which may result in damage when removing the integrated section.
    I'll muck around with it when my Carbine is ready so I can afford to have it in bits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Weird noises in the frame

Hi,
    First I love my Chinese carbon, the bike i have build is extremely fast both down and up hill. Now i treat my bike more as a all mountain or even a down hill bike at times prob more then a XC bike. I have had it over a year now and have developed a issue that i cant solve hoping someone else has this and can help me. It has started making a weird creak almost like upset carbon when i am cranking down hard. Now first i assumed this was the BB so i put a new one in, no luck. Then i knew the head set was on its way out so replaced that (really needed to almost fell to bits when i took it off) still no luck. there are no obvious marks/cracks in the carbon, so anyone got a clue?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I didt exactly the same, it was the pedal, only shows up on really hard pedaling

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

em2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dougcw_1 View Post
    Hi,
    First I love my Chinese carbon, the bike i have build is extremely fast both down and up hill. Now i treat my bike more as a all mountain or even a down hill bike at times prob more then a XC bike. I have had it over a year now and have developed a issue that i cant solve hoping someone else has this and can help me. It has started making a weird creak almost like upset carbon when i am cranking down hard. Now first i assumed this was the BB so i put a new one in, no luck. Then i knew the head set was on its way out so replaced that (really needed to almost fell to bits when i took it off) still no luck. there are no obvious marks/cracks in the carbon, so anyone got a clue?
    saddle rails at the saddle joints
    seatpost in the frame
    pedals
    stem at steerer
    handlebar at stem
    crank arm at axle

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Pedals are worth a look at didnt think of that stem and steerer all been checked (given that part of the bike was completely pulled apart a few days ago). Still makes the sound when standing so prob not seat or seat post. Again with crank arm pulled apart in the last week as-well. So will try another set of pedals and see if it still does it thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Fixed this on mine last week, main pivot bearings were dry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Back Wheel

Hi,
    My XX cassette came loose and I swore it was the BB.
    Put a friends back wheel on,and try it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Komdotkom View Post
    I can't see how it makes any difference. The frame isn't made with the headset in place and it's glued in after the frame is removed from the mold.
    If I remove the integrated aluminum section and replace it with another one there won't be any tangible difference. The only thing that concerns me is that they may have used some of the epoxy they use to lay up the frames to adhere the headset to the frame which may result in damage when removing the integrated section.
    I'll muck around with it when my Carbine is ready so I can afford to have it in bits.
    I would like to use the Cane Creek Angle Set ! , Let me know how it works!
    Sound like a good Idea.
    My FM-056 29er hard tail with the 69.5 Head angle is a joy to ride in a technical down hill compared to my 2010 Air 9 with 71 degrees head angle.

mtbr member

creaking

Quote Originally Posted by Big Foot View Post
    My XX cassette came loose and I swore it was the BB.
    Put a friends back wheel on,and try it.
    Yes, can be at the back wheel. Also make sure the hanger is tight and not bent/cracked. Also make sure the skewers are nice and tight

mtbr member
    Hi,
    might need a new freehub body. if you have another rear wheel swap it in and see if the sound goes away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Still no joy. Put different pedals on, tried another wheel, to add a we bit more info i can make the noise without pedalling it almost seams like its the sideways movement on the frame causing it. What is the maintenance for the main pivot bearings? not sure whats under there but is sounding more likely the cause, another maybe cause would the aluminium cups that the BB treads into coming lose from the frame, not sure how this would happen or why just another idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quick update.

I originally built my bike with a 100mm carbon stem that I ordered with the bike. I figured I would probably change this at some point, but I didn't have any laying around so I started there.

I installed it in the raised position and a set of 660mm riser bars that I also ordered with the frame. The bike has been flawless but I've never felt comfortable on it. I originally thought it was because of the extreme differences between my old bike (99 Giant Warp DS-2) and this new one.

I ordered a pair of Kalloy Uno stems in 70mm and 80mm off eBay and I started with the new 70mm stem in the drop position (7deg) and still used my riser bars. What an unbelievable difference that made! The first ride with the new cockpit setup was at one of the more difficult trails I ride, which I was hoping wouldn't be a mistake or a day full of crashes. Within the first mile I knew that this was a whole new bike now. I rode with a buddy who normally is way ahead of me and he made several comments on how he couldn't keep up with me on the downhills and even on the rolling parts of the trail. The bike felt so much more comfortable and I felt more in control, like I could lift the front when needed, throw it around more and I didn't feel like I was always going over the bars.

It made such a dramatic difference in my riding, that my buddy might try my 80mm stem I picked up.

Carbon8er
    Peter from Xmiplay,
    I do not see any information on your web site about the IP-005

What is the difference between the IP-005 and the IP-036?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Quick update.

I originally built my bike with a 100mm carbon stem that I ordered with the bike. I figured I would probably change this at some point, but I didn't have any laying around so I started there.

I installed it in the raised position and a set of 660mm riser bars that I also ordered with the frame. The bike has been flawless but I've never felt comfortable on it. I originally thought it was because of the extreme differences between my old bike (99 Giant Warp DS-2) and this new one.

I ordered a pair of Kalloy Uno stems in 70mm and 80mm off eBay and I started with the new 70mm stem in the drop position (7deg) and still used my riser bars. What an unbelievable difference that made! The first ride with the new cockpit setup was at one of the more difficult trails I ride, which I was hoping wouldn't be a mistake or a day full of crashes. Within the first mile I knew that this was a whole new bike now. I rode with a buddy who normally is way ahead of me and he made several comments on how he couldn't keep up with me on the downhills and even on the rolling parts of the trail. The bike felt so much more comfortable and I felt more in control, like I could lift the front when needed, throw it around more and I didn't feel like I was always going over the bars.

It made such a dramatic difference in my riding, that my buddy might try my 80mm stem I picked up.
    I use a 70mm stem and 700mm bars combined wuth a dropper post, makes the bike a very playful and efficient beast

www.pedal-worx.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use a 70mm stem and 700mm bars combined wuth a dropper post, makes the bike a very playful and efficient beast

Welcome to Pedal-Worx
    I've been thinking of a dropper but that will have to wait for a while.

Your original post on this bike is what made me decide to build it. Thanks!

Handmade in Switzerland
    We are testing this frame since 5 months and had a lot of issues! This frame needs some modifications to work as we expect. But that's certanly a personal thing...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterQ View Post
    Yeap, IP-098 is new full suspension 29er frame only for 142x12 rear axle.
    Last edited by maettu; 10-29-2013 at 12:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow, I had one on order Could you share what are those issues you've faced?

Quote Originally Posted by maettu View Post
    We are testing this frame since 5 months and had a lot of issues! This frame needs a lot of modifications to work as peoples expect...

Handmade in Switzerland
    I don't want to throw with dirt here. Not everybody has the same understanding of quality vs price. We had problems with rear brake mount und front mech mount and re-engineered the most of the pivots of this frame and changed a lot of parts like bearings and screws. Now we sent all the improvement recommendations to our contact person.

There are several "agencies" selling this frame and it's not clear if the frames are all exactly the same. Therefore I don't want to go more deeply into the details.

All we hope is that our improvement recommendations will take place in production of this frame...

mtbr member
    Very helpful insight there. Since it's too late for me now to cancel my order, will just wait for it to see if frame is ok. Obviously my supplier is different from yours and hence there's chance issues are not there.

At any rate, it's less troubling to know those issues are not fundamental (like weak or fake carbon material) and can be remedied by replacing or re-engineering the parts though would have certainly affected my decision to buy had I known them before.

I would just treat it as one of risk costs in buying a newly introduced frame.

Quote Originally Posted by maettu View Post
    I don't want to throw with dirt here. Not everybody has the same understanding of quality vs price. We had problems with rear brake mount und front mech mount and re-engineered the most of the pivots of this frame and changed a lot of parts like bearings and screws. Now we sent all the improvement recommendations to our contact person.

There are several "agencies" selling this frame and it's not clear if the frames are all exactly the same. Therefore I don't want to go more deeply into the details.

All we hope is that our improvement recommendations will take place in production of this frame...

Handmade in Switzerland
    You have understood this correctly. The frame is absolutely safe to ride as far as we can judge this. You probably have to deal with play, lot of creacking noise and other stuff. But nothing that might riding this frame dangerous!
    Examples:
    - Weak pivots have also an impact to stiffness
    - We would like to see modifications to add a bigger brake disc than 160mm on the rear end.

Quote Originally Posted by Padyakero View Post
    Very helpful insight there. Since it's too late for me now to cancel my order, will just wait for it to see if frame is ok. Obviously my supplier is different from yours and hence there's chance issues are not there.

At any rate, it's less troubling to know those issues are not fundamental (like weak or fake carbon material) and can be remedied by replacing or re-engineering the parts though would have certainly affected my decision to buy had I known them before.

I would just treat it as one of risk costs in buying a newly introduced frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Oh btw guys whitch BB30 borrom bracket should i use to set XX1 crankset? I've read SRAM is pretty bad =(

Carbon8er
    Personally, I would not use a pressed in BB30 on a mountain bike.
    On a road bike, yes

Many mechanics I have talked to would not have a BB30 either on a mountain bike.

I installed a 175mm 168Q threaded BB on both my XX1 carbon bikes.
    The bottom brackets I used comes with the XX1 group

Here's is the link to my IP-036 dual carbon build
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/my...l#post10814638

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by El34 View Post
    Personally, I would not use a pressed in BB30 on a mountain bike.
    On a road bike, yes

Many mechanics I have talked to would not have a BB30 either on a mountain bike.

I installed a 175mm 168Q threaded BB on both my XX1 carbon bikes.
    The bottom brackets I used comes with the XX1 group
    Could you pls make it clear to me cuz it will be my first custom build and i'm noob :P
    1) Can i use gxp bottom bracket with BSA?
    2) I already have XX1 175mm 156 q-factor bb30/pf30 crankset. Can i still use it if i get the frame with BSA and gxp bottom bracket?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by horseinthesky View Post
    Could you pls make it clear to me cuz it will be my first custom build and i'm noob :P
    1) Can i use gxp bottom bracket with BSA?
    2) I already have XX1 175mm 156 q-factor bb30/pf30 crankset. Can i still use it if i get the frame with BSA and gxp bottom bracket?
    1) yes

2) no bb30 crank will NOT work with GXP/BSA. The crank spindle on a BB30 larger in diameter and will not fit through a GXP bb or BSA style bb shell.
    It would work the other way round with adapters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    2) no bb30 crank will NOT work with GXP/BSA. The crank spindle on a BB30 larger in diameter and will not fit through a GXP bb or BSA style bb shell.
    It would work the other way round with adapters.
    So i guess i should better buy another crankset. Does the chainrings of bb30 xx1 crankset compatible with gxp xx1 crankset?

mtbr member
    Straight seat-tube 29er?

Anyone buy the straight seat tube full suspension 29er frame? Seems like all the pictures I see and reviews deal with the frame with the bent seat-tube. Geometry seems almost the same, just slightly different Front-center and ETT.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by em2 View Post
    saddle rails at the saddle joints
    seatpost in the frame
    pedals
    stem at steerer
    handlebar at stem
    crank arm at axle
    derailleur hanger

mtbr member
    Came across these rebranded Chinese frames ...... 29er | Carbon | Full-Suspension - Switchback Bikes

the bottom bracket junction look very similar to the straight tube Chinese frames ...29er MTB Frames Full Suspentision Mountain Bike Frames Full Carbon Bicycle Parts | eBay

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    Came across these rebranded Chinese frames ...... 29er | Carbon | Full-Suspension - Switchback Bikes

the bottom bracket junction look very similar to the straight tube Chinese frames ...29er MTB Frames Full Suspentision Mountain Bike Frames Full Carbon Bicycle Parts | eBay
    The top ones are different asin the top tube and travel

mtbr member
    I just signed up here specifically to get involved in this discussion.
    I read the whole thread, and the Chinese HT one too. I see a number of successful builds.
    I have a roadbike, and a hardtail 29er playbike, but it gets rough sometimes on some terrain and fast decents.
    This thread has got me thinking.
    I am short at 5'4" and a short legged 29" inseam. I see most of these builds were on the 17.5" size...has anyone built a small 15" one?
    It seems the newest ones are setup for a 200 mm shock...if that were paired with a longer travel 140-150mm fork, would it make a good AM/FR type of bike that could do some mild DH too? It would be my first dual suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just because the shock is 200mm i2i doesn't meant its big travel, I think its still only 120mm and with that big a fork at the front I think it will put the handling right off?

mtbr member
    I think many AM and DH bikes are engineered to have lazy handling via raked geometry anyways for stability.....if a longer fork would lift the bike's nose and rake it out, wouldn't it serve the same purpose? I have a hardtail for technical and more XC type of riding....so I don't think I'd mind if the full suspended bike turned slower.

Price point has a pretty good full build $1600 XT package with a Manitou fork that can be setup for anywhere between 100 and 140mm.

Carbon8er
    I have a 140mm Float 29 on the front of my IP-036
    The front end is not lazy feeling or twitchy.
    It handles great and is very stable on the downhills here in Pisgah Forest

There is another Chinese carbon frame out there that may be better for downhill.
    It looks a bit beefier than the IP-036
    I saw pics of it here in this thread somewhere

mtbr member
    I have a 140mm Float 29 on the front of my IP-036
    The front end is not lazy feeling or twitchy.
    It handles great and is very stable on the downhills here in Pisgah Forest

If not too much trouble, can you measure your unsagged head tube angle and bottom bracket height?
    I am just curious as to what real world measurements are versus the geo sheet. I am sitting on the fence right now about getting this frame.
    The 71 degree head angle has me worried on the spec sheet.

Carbon8er
    68.5 degrees on the head tube using one of those round angle finders
    12.125 inches from floor to bottom of bottom bracket shell

Name:  shc-939840_ml.jpg
Views: 2532
Size:  8.7 KB

mtbr member
    This is the bike I am considering:

2013 Newest bicycle 29er Full Carbon Fiber Suspension Mountain MTB Bike Bcycle Frame,OEM Carbon Suspension MTB bike frame., View 29er carbon suspension mountain bike frame, Product Details from Feel (Shenzhen) Technology Co., Limited on Alibaba.com

For a price similar to Hobgoblin money, you can get carbon and about 5 lbs lighter this way......and if you want to add the acrbon China wheels, you can prob get closer to 8 lbs lighter.

If I ordered sometime early in 2014, it would take me a few months to save enough scratch to buy the components I need anyways, because really, this isn;t a bike I need...it's something I want. And I think it'd be very cool to try building a bike from parts as I have never tried before.

I raced bikes 25 yrs ago, (Bianchi road bike and a Fisher CR-7/XT) and was pretty good at it. I hadn't really been near a bike for more than a ride to the store since high school, however, I am excited getting back into it. I just turned 40 the other day and am not at a pace where I rode 27 kms of varried terrain last wknd in 70 mins.....I am a bit of a spec whore and would like a nice bike, that is personal to me. Once you have driven a Mercedes, who wants to drive a Hyundai?

As for the 68.5 degree head angle, that is with a fork that is longer than reccommended. WIth a 100mm fork it prob would be at their 71 degree spec. That is exactly what I am wanting to do as well...the longer fork will make the head angle a little lazier by lifting the nose of the bike a little. I am thinking it would be nice to be able to use this bike as an affordable intro to light DH and AM.......a bike that can handle jumps and drops without breaking the bank. And being a 29er it should roll over stuff fantastic and soak up anything it doesn't roll right over.

mtbr member
    68.5 degrees on the head tube using one of those round angle finders
    12.125 inches from floor to bottom of bottom bracket shell

Name:  shc-939840_ml.jpg
Views: 2532
Size:  8.7 KB
    Many thanks for the info.

This has me thinking, if I run this frame with a 120mm fork, my HA should be around 69.5 unsagged ....around 70.5 sagged, which will not be as twitchy.
    The BB height should be around 7-8 mm lower than yours.

mtbr member
    You mean less twitchy than it would with a 100mm fork? Or less twitchy than El34's bike with a 140mm fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    The longer the fork-the less twitchy.
    The shorter fork, the steeper the head angle, the more twitchy.
    Your thinking is backwards
    Sorry must have not clarified my point. Geo spec sheet has unsagged HA at 71 degrees. I am looking at the frame with 120mm fork installed.

This would give me a sagged HA of 70.5 - 71 degrees based on the El34's measurement. Less twitchy than the geo sheet.

Carbon8er
    omnivore, yes that is the frame I saw that I thought would be a better DH candidate.

As for my IP-036 with the 140mm fork

I keep the air pressure pretty low in that Float 29 in order to get as much cush out of it as I can without bottoming out.
    The air pressure is below 50 pounds and just high enough that it does not bottom out on the biggest hits.
    So the head angle is not as steep when I am sitting on the bike
    But I like the big cushy front end on the rough stuff and the bike feels great with the 140mm

My Float 29 fork came set up as 120mm on my yeti SB95
    I took out the spacer inside the left leg and made it into 140mm and moved the fork over to the IP-036

The Yeti SB95 frame is for sale on ebay
    Yeti Cycles SB95 2012 Small 16 5 inch Excellent Condition | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've just pulled the trigger!! Although a 26er from Hong Fu.

I've even gone for the carbon seat post, stem, flat bars and bottle cages. After reading this thread I convinced myself I needed to ditch my 04 Stumpjumper FSR and go carbon.

Most of the components will hopefully drop straight on. My Rp23 is 165x38, front fork will need some kind of reducer as it's not tapered.

I need to get myself some carbon paste, a new front mech, full length gear cables and maybe some new hydraulic lines.

On the front mech... Do I need a E-Type or E2-Type?? What is the difference?

Good work on this thread!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This thread has got me thinking.
    I am short at 5'4" and a short legged 29" inseam. I see most of these builds were on the 17.5" size...has anyone built a small 15" one?.
    Please, please do not buy a 17.5(hongfu fm036). Im 5ft 8 and against my gut instinct I went with 17.5. pulling the frame out the box I knew it was too big. Not massively but enough to make me wanna sell the frame now. yes I built frame up and although I never really suffered from over reaching, i rode with what I would call a sense of not having perfect control/cockpit /seatpost height blah blah. Loal in my opinion has the perfect set up for the 17.5 bike and they're 5ft10. With your height you'll probably really have to customise things but 15.5 size will be as good as it gets with these frames.
    Last edited by wconcretej; 12-03-2013 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloneranger View Post
    I've just pulled the trigger!! Although a 26er from Hong Fu.

!!
    Sorry to hate on a 26er!! but i was reluctant to wheel change(aethestics really) until I saw this frame built up- namely Loal's ride- and had to get one because 1.) no one wins my races on 26ers 2.) If 29ers fall outta fashion I could slip 27.5 wheels on it 3.)It was cheaper than brands.

The 29er is the way forward with no drawbacks for me! 27.5 has its merits but 26ers I can say with hand on heart for XC duties, competively at least, is a old skool now!

Change your order before it's too late.

Carbon8er
    Quote Originally Posted by wconcretej View Post
    Please, please do not buy a 17.5. Im 5ft 8 and against my gut instinct I went with 17.5. pulling the frame out the box I knew it was too big.
    I'm 5.8 ish with a 30 inch inseam
    My 17.5" IP-036 fits me perfectly

A 15.5 would be very cramped

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Agreed. $1,800 sram x9 build :

BAMF Shit Kicker 29er Mountain Bike - Giantnerd®

or...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What size??? If XL, look no further. Here's the best deal...CF...FS...nice build!

GT Bikes Zaskar Carbon 100 Pro Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You can't buy these parts for cheaper then that. All these companies in China are likely small suspect manufacturers. If you look hard enough, you'll find a great deal. The market is kinda played at this point. You will pay 10-20% more for BRAND name build out...likely less like the deal I posted earlier. Do you want to go through the aggravation...and potential future headaches? your call!

mtbr member
    If I order, it will be a small frame for sure, no question about it. I am quite short and 150 lbs.
    My current 26" hardtail is a 15"...My 29er hardtail is a 16". My last really nice bike was 20 yrs ago, a full XT grouped Fisher CR-7, the first yr Shimano came out with trigger shifters.....it was a tiny, very stiff bike. I had to get Grafton rear brakes for the seaststays cuz my heels clipped the XT ones as I pedalled. I think it was a 13.5 or 14" frame, and I have small size 7 feet....hard to recall exact size .....(was a long time ago)
    Last edited by omnivore; 12-04-2013 at 07:34 AM.

mtbr member

My ip-036 build

I am 5'7' and ordered small size (15') but when I got my frame I thought maybe better for me was the medium size (17').

With the small frame, I feel the reach is perfect with the 80mm stem, 350mm seat post maxed out and saddle pulled to the rear, though would prefer longer seat post to strengthen seat tube grip. Stand-over height is of no issue thanks to the new top tube design.

My issues are that with the small frame, the clearance between front tire and pedal seems to sit just at the minimum ( I have 120mm travel fork installed and my shoe size is 43), I had to always position my shoes properly in the pedal to avoid contact with tire. This may not be always possible for me when climbing uphill and specially that I prefer flat pedals rather than clip-on. I am thinking if maybe my fork is 140mm this will add clearance but maybe only very small.

Another is in the small frame (15'), the joint between toptube and set tube looks weaker than that in the size 17 where there is actually a small triangle with a gap inside. That gap inside the small triangle is absent in the size 15 frame as you can see on my picture and it is very useful in mounting the bike in carriers! I have to buy a bar to create a temporary toptube for mounting purposes in a car

Lastly, the bar crossing between top tube and downtube to accomodate rearschock mount is small to fit the rearshock head that I have to install my fox CTD upside down. I am not sure if size 17 would have this issue.

Other than that I have no major issues like creaks that other buyers have complained of. My build rides great as can be expected in a new bike. Here is a pic of my build. In the second pic below, you could fairly pit it against the more expensive Ellsworth

If I order, it will be a small frame for sure, no question about it. I short and 150 lbs.
    My current 26" hardtail is a 15"...My 29er hardtail is a 16". My last really nice bike was 20 yrs ago, a Fisher CR-7....it was tiny. I had to get Grafton rear brakes cuz my heels clipped the XT ones as I pedalled. I think it was a 13.5 or 14" frame, and I have small size 7 feet....hard to recall exact size .....(was a long time ago)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-ip-036-02.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-ip-036-01.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Padyakero-thanks...I was really interested to see a built small one. Looks great. Standover height is one of the things I need- very short inseam. Is there a significant weight difference with the smaller frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just to make clear, my choice of sizing refer to the hong-fu fm036 17.5.Now have a 15.5 on the way!!

Handmade in Switzerland
    Other than that I have no major issues like creaks that other buyers have complained of.
    The weather conditions where you are living are of course quite different than here in Switzerland. As far as I can see you and your bike rarely see dirt and moisture...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What did you pay TOTAL for your build out? Sram? Shimano? XO?

I am 5'7' and ordered small size (15') but when I got my frame I thought maybe better for me was the medium size (17').

With the small frame, I feel the reach is perfect with the 80mm stem, 350mm seat post maxed out and saddle pulled to the rear, though would prefer longer seat post to strengthen seat tube grip. Stand-over height is of no issue thanks to the new top tube design.

My issues are that with the small frame, the clearance between front tire and pedal seems to sit just at the minimum ( I have 120mm travel fork installed and my shoe size is 43), I had to always position my shoes properly in the pedal to avoid contact with tire. This may not be always possible for me when climbing uphill and specially that I prefer flat pedals rather than clip-on. I am thinking if maybe my fork is 140mm this will add clearance but maybe only very small.

Another is in the small frame (15'), the joint between toptube and set tube looks weaker than that in the size 17 where there is actually a small triangle with a gap inside. That gap inside the small triangle is absent in the size 15 frame as you can see on my picture and it is very useful in mounting the bike in carriers! I have to buy a bar to create a temporary toptube for mounting purposes in a car

Lastly, the bar crossing between top tube and downtube to accomodate rearschock mount is small to fit the rearshock head that I have to install my fox CTD upside down. I am not sure if size 17 would have this issue.

Other than that I have no major issues like creaks that other buyers have complained of. My build rides great as can be expected in a new bike. Here is a pic of my build. In the second pic below, you could fairly pit it against the more expensive Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If I order, it will be a small frame for sure, no question about it. I am quite short and 150 lbs.
    My current 26" hardtail is a 15"...My 29er hardtail is a 16". My last really nice bike was 20 yrs ago, a full XT grouped Fisher CR-7, the first yr Shimano came out with trigger shifters.....it was a tiny, very stiff bike. I had to get Grafton rear brakes for the seaststays cuz my heels clipped the XT ones as I pedalled. I think it was a 13.5 or 14" frame, and I have small size 7 feet....hard to recall exact size .....(was a long time ago)
    I'm same size...Small 29ers are a bargain if you will go one year later. 2013's are already going down in price!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast